Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


iPhone! To upgrade to 2.1 or not that is the question!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: iPhone! To upgrade to 2.1 or not that is the question! Reply with quote

I have a 2G iphone running 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbroken etc with ZiPhone. Runs like a charm and has been doing for ages - months. Recently people at work have been upgrading to 2.1 and QuickPwning it. Works fine.

I dont know what to do, whether to just stay at 1.1.4 - you know the saying, if its not broken dont fix it!

Anyone had a play with the 2.1 update? any good?? Why should I upgrade to it? Is there a better way to crack it than QuickPwn?

Cheers

Catherine
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my own and then install cydia, to be honest I personnaly dont see the point?

with a jailbroken one as you know you can install pretty much anything you want as long as you can find it. I have the link to Iplayer, wikitouch, musicradio and bbc podcast so I just click and go. I have loads of games and an AV player as well as other "toys"

I think with 2.x you get access to some other email exchange features which is for a company anyway and the facebook and Apple app store.

The only time I would want to unlock a phone is if I had a 3g one and thats only for the quicker web.....

Only my opinion but I'm not going to bother upgrading at least not until they give me good reason Wink

Thumbs Up

EDIT- I have been looking into this Quickpwn and being the gadjet geek I am, I would like to know if you need to use Itunes to update the firmware first or not?

Anyone?
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you do, so what you do it either

A plug in and click upgrade to 2.1 (making sure u have backed up first)

B down load the ipsw file from apple directly
https://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-5202.20080909.gkbEj/iPhone1,1_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw

and do a shift restore.

Then follow the quickpwn thing and it works.

The link above is for 2G ones.

U on 1.1.4?

What apps u got on it, i got converter, wifi stumbler, SMBPrefs, wifi toggle. Thats about it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:36 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

short1uk wrote:
yeah you do, so what you do it either

A plug in and click upgrade to 2.1 (making sure u have backed up first)

B down load the ipsw file from apple directly
https://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-5202.20080909.gkbEj/iPhone1,1_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw

and do a shift restore.

Then follow the quickpwn thing and it works.

The link above is for 2G ones.

U on 1.1.4?

What apps u got on it, i got converter, wifi stumbler, SMBPrefs, wifi toggle. Thats about it


Ello Ello!

WELL! being the person I am I couldnt resist and had to try it Rolling Eyes

SO went without a hitch I followed this guide

https://theiphoneproject.org/index.php/faq/32-languages/109-quickpwn-windows-guide

1st I made sure I had a backup incase things went tits up and then I upgraded my phone using Itunes 8 on another pc that had never had the phone connected (kept 7 on my main box)

Dont think thats a problem but my missus would kill me if I knackered her Tv shows!

Anyway I upgraded the firmware to 2.0.2 at this point I had a crash and ended up with my phone in restore mode so I had to perform a complete restore on it this went no problems and then hooked it into the quickpwn software and followed the instructions, its pretty much as easy as using ZIPHONE.

Took about 10 minutes in total and voila o2 non iphone sim working no problems.

I then went to my computer that had the backup and it put everything apart from the extra apps back on my SMS, Contacts the lot and its running peachy today Wink

I dont think its a problem to use 1 pc I just have the laptop and my home machine as a precaution.

Any problems give me a shout but you should be fine!

go for it!!

Wink Thumbs Up
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh still not sure!!!!

Apparently there are load of cool apps in the app store

C
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bene installing stuff from Cydia and the installer, I did put the facebook app on and it worked fine.

Remember as long as you back up your phone and it goes tits up you can always put it in DFU mode and try again Very Happy

Think of all the cool new apps Wink

I havnt looked that much to be honest i'm just happy I can install stuff if I want too Thumbs Up
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
K0rnIsAFAGGOT This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielSON wrote:
I want an iphone Crying or Very sad


they are like arses and everyone has one but they are good Wink
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMSL so true!

Some of the most IT illiterate people in my place (i am the it person) have them and come to me with them i am like OMG! send it back now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course its my job to help them with it lol.

I might upgrade i dunno, did you uninstall all the apps you had before you did it? I think i have to uninstall summerboard as that will get backed up wont it? and i dont want to restore it as i will use winterboard.

C
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
K0rnIsAFAGGOT This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

short1uk wrote:
PMSL so true!

Some of the most IT illiterate people in my place (i am the it person) have them and come to me with them i am like OMG! send it back now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course its my job to help them with it lol.

I might upgrade i dunno, did you uninstall all the apps you had before you did it? I think i have to uninstall summerboard as that will get backed up wont it? and i dont want to restore it as i will use winterboard.

C


haha exactly the same for me I'm on the the desktop team here and I am constantly asked "when will exchange support my phone" The answer is never and we dont support them at all. Well unless some beer is forthcoming Wink



As for the summerboard it wont get backed up as Itunes from what I know does not see it as a backup item.

Things like web links on your home screen it will but apps it wont.

I have winterboard and it is better to use than summerboard imo

You shouldnt need to unistall anything to be honest, I would however recommend doing a restore, the reason is that your "old" apps will not be installed again and they willend up taking up space on your ipod that cannot be accessed.

A bit like when you go into itunes and you have the orange colour for "other" or unknown.

So in short backup wipeup unlock Wink
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:20 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielSON wrote:
Ive got my eye on a few of the old versions at the moment.
What's the difference between the old and new?
Any sites i can read up on?

Thanks


Hi daneilSON

The Main differneces are

new 3G phone

Has a standard headphone jack, I had to slightly modify my good headphones to fit the 2G model.

has 3g- faster internet access as long as your in a 3g zone towncenter etc, otherwise it drops to edge which I have found no problems with for viewing web pages etc

GPS- allows you to use googlemaps while your walking around. Only really usefull if you dont know a city, no use for the car and no use abroad as the Maps application needs network access which costs a bomb outside the UK as its classed as roaming.

The back of the phone is black---nuff said there Oh but it is plastic Sick .

the most important difference is- AT PRESENT the 3G Iphone CANNOT be unlocked, so unless you plan on taking a new contract with o2 you will not get one as yet.

I would be wary of ebay touting unlocked iphone 3g's from what I have been reading its not possible yet. *I could be wrong but I dont think so Wink

They come in 8 or 16gb

2G iphone

Metal back Smile

Has all the other features its big brother has but its unlockable pretty easily if you can follow a guide.

Cheaper but no longer available from O2, they slashed the price when they knew the 3G was coming out.

if you want a 3G phone and you have an O2 sim card you CAN buy one they are £349 for the 8Gb and £399 for the 16gb

bit much to be honest IMO

As for websites to be honest youtube is your friend here.

Hope that helps Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
K0rnIsAFAGGOT This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielSON wrote:
Thanks for that dude Smile
Doesn't the 2G have gps also? How is it on that?


no probs.

No the 2G has google maps basically a slightly cut down version of the web version.

it does allow ostcode searching etc and I have used it few times.

As I said about expensive roaming charges it cost me 2.40 odd just to quickyl get an address when I was in dublin!

Thumbs Up
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

So stick it on the cradle open itunes ( 8 you say? ) i have the option then to upgrade to 2.1 or perform a restore.

Or do i put it in DFU mode (ziphone can do this) then connect up and hit select restore - select the 2.1 which i have already downloaded.
Let it do its thing, once done in theory it should now be locked.

Run the quickpwn thingy - is that right?

Because if i perform an "upgrade" to 2.1 it will keep all the apps which then will waste space?

I think the main reason i am hesitant is that I love my iPhone so much I am scared to break it! (geeky I know)

Catherine
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:31 - 26 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

short1uk wrote:
So stick it on the cradle open itunes ( 8 you say? ) i have the option then to upgrade to 2.1 or perform a restore.

Or do i put it in DFU mode (ziphone can do this) then connect up and hit select restore - select the 2.1 which i have already downloaded.
Let it do its thing, once done in theory it should now be locked.

Run the quickpwn thingy - is that right?

Because if i perform an "upgrade" to 2.1 it will keep all the apps which then will waste space?

I think the main reason i am hesitant is that I love my iPhone so much I am scared to break it! (geeky I know)

Catherine


No! dont upgrade to 2.1, the Quickpwn from what I can see only unlocks up to 2.0.2.

If you check that website guide I left for you it has all the files you need to perform the upgrade.

same as before hold shift and click to restore select the IPSW file from the link above and let it restore your phone to 2.0.2 then run quickpwn it will put the phone in DFU mode to unlock.

Itunes will restore the phone for you, you dont need to do anything to the phone yourself. Just remember not 2.1!


your right though if yu upgrade it wil waste space as the Iphone wont know what to do with the old apps Wink

Any questions let me know.

I dont want you to break your phone either!! Wink

But even if you think you have you can still put the phone in DFU mode which would allow you to save it

Cheers

Kev
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 26 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

its does 2.1 - the lads here have done it! let me check with them

You on msn mate

Catherine
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:50 - 26 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

short1uk wrote:
its does 2.1 - the lads here have done it! let me check with them

You on msn mate

Catherine


its does???!! oh I didnt know that Hmmmmm

I am but I cant use it in work lol and I work in IT!!!!

Hotmail is my junk mail bin 700+ emails and counting Sick Evil or Very Mad
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:55 - 26 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

skype?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 26 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted from https://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Redmond, we have a Pwnapple!
Window QuickPwn 2.1

Supports 2.1 firmware with the unlocking and jailbreaking of iPhone 1st generation (2G) device. Supports the jailbreaking of iPod Touch 1st generation device and iPhone 3G. Your device will need to be upgraded to 2.1 (using iTunes 8) before running this application.

It does NOT support the unlocking of iPhone 3G
It does NOT support the jailbreaking of second generation iPod Touch introduced last week
Windows QuickPwn 2.1 - Torrent here
(SHA1) QuickPwn21-1.zip = f8124d0e8f31f64ef3272de8fbc679e1dd1f93a7
You will need to know how to use bittorrent to download this file.



Gonna do it tonight! then install winterboard and make it look pretty lol!

Your in IT and you cant use MSN?? tut tut Laughing there is only me in IT here so I can do what i want really Very Happy

Then again whole company uses msn to communicate rather than talk to each other lol!

Catherine
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 26 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha!

No skype either, we have a couple of thousand users so it would lag our network Evil or Very Mad

we do use communicator instead of talking to each other, but you cant add exteranl addys!

Cool, you need to let me know how you get on! I would like to comapre differnces between 2.0.2 and 2.1 see if its worth doing.

Good luck lol Wink Thumbs Up

Kev
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 26 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm me your Msn, I will try and add it. Just did my hotmail and its showing as unknown Hmmmm?
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Graham88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 26 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was attempting to jailbreak mine on 2.0.1 last night and to not much luck. The program 'winpwn' kept crashing everytime it got into DFU mode, annoying.

I was only doing it as a selling point but I'm just gonna sell it as a normal phone now, it's brand new so should go alright Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 26 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham88 wrote:
I was attempting to jailbreak mine on 2.0.1 last night and to not much luck. The program 'winpwn' kept crashing everytime it got into DFU mode, annoying.

I was only doing it as a selling point but I'm just gonna sell it as a normal phone now, it's brand new so should go alright Smile


Is it a 2g or 3g?

I wouldnt use winpwn myself use quickpwn.

Simple! it even counts down so you know when to hold and release buttons lol
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Graham88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 26 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

2G.

Yeah that sounds like the same method as winpwn! Tells you when to press power and home button, clever!

But it kept crashing everytime. Which then meant a restore, then try again, long winded!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.91 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.52 Kb