Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Am I done with sportsbikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Am I done with sportsbikes? Reply with quote

Riding my RR for the last couple of days, due to 'Lucky' (my CG125) being out of action has left me a little....meh.

It's an absolutely fantastic piece of kit, probably the fastest (as a whole package) superbly designed and manufactured machine I've ever had the pleasure of owning, but it just doesn't....for what of a better word....satisfy me anymore.

I've been commuting to and from work on the RR recently, the weather's been good and my pace is more or less double the speed than Lucky around corners, and absolutely annihilates pretty much anything not on two wheels down the straights.

But what's the point?

I've ridden Lucky for over 2,000 miles now and even on those trips when I can't see where I'm going because it's 3am and there's a gale force storm trying to launch me into a hedge, even when I'm pottering down an unclassified road at less than 30mph, even when I'm holding up traffic attempting to ride up a too-steep-for-3rd-gear incline, even when it's taken me 20 minutes later to get to work, Lucky makes me smile and leaves me stress free.

It's like I've gone back to when I started biking, where every ride is an adventure, every trip accomplished without something falling off along the way is an epic collaboration between man and machine.

I've been riding a poor example of a cheap crap bike for the last couple of months and loved every mile of it. Even my friends, who at first thought I'd gone completely mad, have ridden the bike themselves and proclaimed it something along the lines of 'so absurdly, pathetically terrible at being everything that a motorcycle ought to be, that it's actually brilliant........can we swop bikes next time we're out on a ride?'

Am I done with speeding around in a mad rush everywhere?

I don't know where that leaves my CBR....and whether I should sell both it and Lucky to get something that combines the two (so I've got some backup for the daily ride to work and back (I had considered a classic bike, but was unsure about reliability (or my ability to spanner and bodge any necessary issues))).

MT03? XR250? Unfaired SV650?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:28 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from my 636 and now love my Dr350. It gives me as much fun for half the speed, half the fuel, half the money, half the worry, etc, etc.

I think I have already found a solution, I really want one but just can't afford it at the minute. I would recommend keeping the RR for the longer journeys though!

https://www.royal-enfield.com/bullet-classic.htm
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked my CCM404 as a 'do it all' bike - be nice with a wider ratio gear box, but doubt it'd top out at much more than the current (GPS) 90mph.
Supermoto wheels for decent road fun, off-road for trail.

I've got the 690 for doing that along with a bit of distance, but power's starting to go up to the levels you don't have to try quite so hard.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:49 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world had seemed to be obsessed with hardcore, manic performance machines of late. I think this is the first conversation I have had with someone who agrees that 'inferior' bikes can be as much fun and with far less worries, simply due to the character of their ride and the way you feel you are really pushing them at nearer to legal speeds!

Shit bikes rock!!! Razz There, I said it!! Shocked
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rotax81
Nearly there...



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:49 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:
Welcome to the reason I'm obsessed with Yam 350 aircooled twins Very Happy

I can't put a finger on why I like them so much - they just give me "that" feeling which comes from intangibles other than power or handling brilliance. Part of it is character - the smell and sound, the frantic feel, the other is the fact they require so much hard graft from the rider to get the best from them, yet in doing so you are not quite taking the piss in terms of traffic laws and risk to life and limb like you would trying to find the maximum performance on a big 4T. The scope of performance means they can be enjoyed on B roads too, either hooning or pottering.

I love my old skool GSXR but the fact remains I've done more miles on my YR5 this year.


i agree with that man for once lol.

i loved my RD400 (tuned and bored to 425) but the only downside from it was the dire fuel consumption..

a very fun bike though Thumbs Up
____________________
ZX636C6F road. ZX636C1H track. ZX7R redundant. ZX0.5R minimoto as ornament.
Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi and VW Transporter 2.5TDi 888 Special (no mot and tax lol)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

rotax81
Nearly there...



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 mpg that 400 done with k&n's and allspeed pipes.

did 125mph though. good in it's day without fairings etc Twisted Evil
____________________
ZX636C6F road. ZX636C1H track. ZX7R redundant. ZX0.5R minimoto as ornament.
Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi and VW Transporter 2.5TDi 888 Special (no mot and tax lol)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:10 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found riding a 4 stroke 125 was far more exciting than my bandit. Perhaps it was because the suspension doesn't suck every bump out of the road and the whole bike rattles like something is going to fall off.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Faults are part of the fun.

Yes things going wrong are a pain, but coping with them gives some kind of pleasure.

Hence why I have a load of small 2 strokes. And why in the last 4 months about 10% of my mileage has been on a tiny 50cc 2 stroke.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Valver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've felt the same was for years. I was riding an R1 at the time when a female friend asked me to ride her newly purchased DT125R 35miles (of pure scottish single track twistyness) home for her. What a hoot!! I'd not had so much fun since in ages!

This made me hark back to the days of being 21 with a NC30 so I bought one as second bike, a scabby £800 one at that. I loved having loads of thinking time coming into bends then scraping the pegs around them while bouncing around on the pogo rear shock.

Hacks rock!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet really had a big bike (is a 250 hornet) and I love riding it. Lets me do some great stuff, yet for my next bike I will probably get something with the same power. Pottering around slowly on interesting roads is good fun, I think a DZR400 is a maybe or a DR350. Fancy doing off-road stuff, yet most of my miles will be on road. Though about the xr250/400 but I think the servicing would be to great considering the miles I'd do on the road.

The ideal solution for me would be two bikes, one which I use a lot less but enjoy the different riding when I am on (think a 600 ninja) and then a smaller dual sport bike which I'd probably do more stuff on.

I sometimes can't understand why I am not that attracted to getting a modern 600, the 250 is great for me, could do with a bit more poke when I am on the motorway so I don't feel like I am being quite harsh on the engine at 80mph.

My brother thinks I am mad wanting something about the same as my other bike, he just wants to get a 600 sports and enjoy it. But he is still younger only turning 17 yesterday and not get a 125 till Monday. I am sure he will learn Rolling Eyes

Personally no matter what you do Craig I'd keep the cg until your sure you have found its replacement. Sell the cbr and find something in-between.
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DRZ400 makes more power than the XR400, so reasonably, with the same use the servicing required shouldn't be too different.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!

How many miles would an oil/filter change on the the xr400 and dzr be then? Probably most of the miles being on-road.
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AJI
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholsony2k wrote:
I moved from my 636 and now love my Dr350. It gives me as much fun for half the speed, half the fuel, half the money, half the worry, etc, etc.

I think I have already found a solution, I really want one but just can't afford it at the minute. I would recommend keeping the RR for the longer journeys though!

https://www.royal-enfield.com/bullet-classic.htm


^ What he said. Not much speed or sophistication, but loads of character and very "different" from the RR. I recall reading a test in BIKE of it and the author was saying how he'd turned up to RE's base on an... RR. Yet he reckoned the Enfield was equally as fun, just in a different way.

Or maybe one of the CCMs?
____________________
TARMAC - Automotive blog *UPDATED 26/3/09 - Abandoned fuel stations to go electric? ~ Buy my eBay stuff!
You're gonna go far, kid
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has owned a couple of 1000cc V-twin sports machines, but the Suzuki DRZ400 Supermoto he has had for about 4months, is the best and most fun bike he has owned since his first bike 30years ago he has said. I had a ride on it and it felt really nice and light but punchy and nimble.

My dad says the twisty lanes and quiet back roads are so much more fun now, and he has had 90mph out of it already so he says it's quick enough, more so now the airbox mods, jet kit and Scorpion exhaust have been fitted.

I had a CG125 for a year, while owning my ZX6R, and it was always a laugh and so easy to ride in any conditions, as well as tough and easy to thrash flat out without ever speeding, so that was part of the fun. I also like bikes with Kick start's alot as they feel more like a real motorcyle for some reason.

Looking forward to getting my KMX200 fixed up, tuned and the supermoto wheels built for it. I watched a vid on you tube last week, and i well miss the familiar sound of the bike and the smelly 2t fumes that go with it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MT-03 has had a similar effect on me, I'm now exploring all the tiny country lanes, instead of hooning up and down the best strips of road....

But, it will still be alot faster than a CG....

But, cracking open the throttle on the MT, hearing the thumping of the giant piston makes me grin 20x more than on the sports bikes...not because of the speed or anything, it's just the overall feeling of the bike, I feel like I'm in control of the bike - the handlebars give me plenty of leverage, the suspension doesn't want me out of the seat at every chance....

I may be biased... Cool

Maybe go for a C90? I want one....
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Am I done with sportsbikes? Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
where every ride is an adventure, every trip accomplished without something falling off along the way is an epic collaboration between man and machine.
That, just made me laugh so hard. Laughing

I feel like that every time I use mine. Laughing Laughing

Karma
Thumbs Up
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad you guys are making me miss my old TDR250, not that my GPZ is much (if any) quicker just the TDR was so much more fun, and riding any sort of distance (like riding it down to hastings) felt like a major accomplishment, with the GPZ i can just assume it will work.

c_dug
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rainer
Nova Slayer



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a serious note, give me the RR and I'll be your best friend Thumbs Up Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:28 - 10 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are talking about the reasons I love Bounce

It weighs nothing, filters like a bastard on fathers day and allows me to ride like a hooligan at more licence friendly speeds.

I had been on a CB500 immediately before and that was great but I was just baiting my licence too often on it. I'd like one of the CB500s model when I am more responsible, but the truth is I'd need to restrain myself all the time and I don't want to. Smile

Small bikes are a lot of fun
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:01 - 10 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, how about getting a cheap offroader and joining us in the mud?

If it's not for you then you can just flog it again for what you paid for it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:55 - 10 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less is more. I get frustrated with having too much power on the road.

Nice to have it for distance work, though.
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:18 - 10 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take this combination...

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/Killa127/Kwak3.jpg

One was for winter and the Ninja was for later in the year.

I really had fun on the RXS, it was fast, economical and i didn't even have to try and ride it. Smile Thumbs Up
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
supersports This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.29 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.12 Kb