|
|
| Author |
Message |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:11 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: Am I done with sportsbikes? |
 |
|
Riding my RR for the last couple of days, due to 'Lucky' (my CG125) being out of action has left me a little....meh.
It's an absolutely fantastic piece of kit, probably the fastest (as a whole package) superbly designed and manufactured machine I've ever had the pleasure of owning, but it just doesn't....for what of a better word....satisfy me anymore.
I've been commuting to and from work on the RR recently, the weather's been good and my pace is more or less double the speed than Lucky around corners, and absolutely annihilates pretty much anything not on two wheels down the straights.
But what's the point?
I've ridden Lucky for over 2,000 miles now and even on those trips when I can't see where I'm going because it's 3am and there's a gale force storm trying to launch me into a hedge, even when I'm pottering down an unclassified road at less than 30mph, even when I'm holding up traffic attempting to ride up a too-steep-for-3rd-gear incline, even when it's taken me 20 minutes later to get to work, Lucky makes me smile and leaves me stress free.
It's like I've gone back to when I started biking, where every ride is an adventure, every trip accomplished without something falling off along the way is an epic collaboration between man and machine.
I've been riding a poor example of a cheap crap bike for the last couple of months and loved every mile of it. Even my friends, who at first thought I'd gone completely mad, have ridden the bike themselves and proclaimed it something along the lines of 'so absurdly, pathetically terrible at being everything that a motorcycle ought to be, that it's actually brilliant........can we swop bikes next time we're out on a ride?'
Am I done with speeding around in a mad rush everywhere?
I don't know where that leaves my CBR....and whether I should sell both it and Lucky to get something that combines the two (so I've got some backup for the daily ride to work and back (I had considered a classic bike, but was unsure about reliability (or my ability to spanner and bodge any necessary issues))).
MT03? XR250? Unfaired SV650? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlnicholson... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlnicholson... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:28 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I moved from my 636 and now love my Dr350. It gives me as much fun for half the speed, half the fuel, half the money, half the worry, etc, etc.
I think I have already found a solution, I really want one but just can't afford it at the minute. I would recommend keeping the RR for the longer journeys though!
https://www.royal-enfield.com/bullet-classic.htm ____________________ "THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blau Zedong |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Blau Zedong Banned

Joined: 26 Jun 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:36 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Welcome to the reason I'm obsessed with Yam 350 aircooled twins
I can't put a finger on why I like them so much - they just give me "that" feeling which comes from intangibles other than power or handling brilliance. Part of it is character - the smell and sound, the frantic feel, the other is the fact they require so much hard graft from the rider to get the best from them, yet in doing so you are not quite taking the piss in terms of traffic laws and risk to life and limb like you would trying to find the maximum performance on a big 4T. The scope of performance means they can be enjoyed on B roads too, either hooning or pottering.
I love my old skool GSXR but the fact remains I've done more miles on my YR5 this year. ____________________ 18:54:48 Rob Fzs: jews don't give away stuff for free
18:54:59 Rob Fzs: unless its their clothes/ hair/ golden teeth |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlnicholson... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlnicholson... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:49 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
The world had seemed to be obsessed with hardcore, manic performance machines of late. I think this is the first conversation I have had with someone who agrees that 'inferior' bikes can be as much fun and with far less worries, simply due to the character of their ride and the way you feel you are really pushing them at nearer to legal speeds!
Shit bikes rock!!! There, I said it!!  ____________________ "THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rotax81 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rotax81 Nearly there...

Joined: 10 Sep 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blau Zedong |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Blau Zedong Banned

Joined: 26 Jun 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:53 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yeah..my record is 44 miles to reserve
Usually get about 55 - 60 though....combination of small tank and massive main jets to compensate for the pipes and k&n. It's at the point where it does limit usability to the point where I'm considering chucking an RD tank on it - not as good looking but bit more capacity. ____________________ 18:54:48 Rob Fzs: jews don't give away stuff for free
18:54:59 Rob Fzs: unless its their clothes/ hair/ golden teeth |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rotax81 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rotax81 Nearly there...

Joined: 10 Sep 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:07 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
12 mpg that 400 done with k&n's and allspeed pipes.
did 125mph though. good in it's day without fairings etc  ____________________ ZX636C6F road. ZX636C1H track. ZX7R redundant. ZX0.5R minimoto as ornament.
Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi and VW Transporter 2.5TDi 888 Special (no mot and tax lol) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Valver |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Valver World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 Jan 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Charlie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Charlie World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 May 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:11 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I haven't yet really had a big bike (is a 250 hornet) and I love riding it. Lets me do some great stuff, yet for my next bike I will probably get something with the same power. Pottering around slowly on interesting roads is good fun, I think a DZR400 is a maybe or a DR350. Fancy doing off-road stuff, yet most of my miles will be on road. Though about the xr250/400 but I think the servicing would be to great considering the miles I'd do on the road.
The ideal solution for me would be two bikes, one which I use a lot less but enjoy the different riding when I am on (think a 600 ninja) and then a smaller dual sport bike which I'd probably do more stuff on.
I sometimes can't understand why I am not that attracted to getting a modern 600, the 250 is great for me, could do with a bit more poke when I am on the motorway so I don't feel like I am being quite harsh on the engine at 80mph.
My brother thinks I am mad wanting something about the same as my other bike, he just wants to get a 600 sports and enjoy it. But he is still younger only turning 17 yesterday and not get a 125 till Monday. I am sure he will learn
Personally no matter what you do Craig I'd keep the cg until your sure you have found its replacement. Sell the cbr and find something in-between. ____________________ Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Charlie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Charlie World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 May 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:35 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
How many miles would an oil/filter change on the the xr400 and dzr be then? Probably most of the miles being on-road. ____________________ Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AJI |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AJI World Chat Champion
Joined: 07 Aug 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:56 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
My dad has owned a couple of 1000cc V-twin sports machines, but the Suzuki DRZ400 Supermoto he has had for about 4months, is the best and most fun bike he has owned since his first bike 30years ago he has said. I had a ride on it and it felt really nice and light but punchy and nimble.
My dad says the twisty lanes and quiet back roads are so much more fun now, and he has had 90mph out of it already so he says it's quick enough, more so now the airbox mods, jet kit and Scorpion exhaust have been fitted.
I had a CG125 for a year, while owning my ZX6R, and it was always a laugh and so easy to ride in any conditions, as well as tough and easy to thrash flat out without ever speeding, so that was part of the fun. I also like bikes with Kick start's alot as they feel more like a real motorcyle for some reason.
Looking forward to getting my KMX200 fixed up, tuned and the supermoto wheels built for it. I watched a vid on you tube last week, and i well miss the familiar sound of the bike and the smelly 2t fumes that go with it. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:22 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
The MT-03 has had a similar effect on me, I'm now exploring all the tiny country lanes, instead of hooning up and down the best strips of road....
But, it will still be alot faster than a CG....
But, cracking open the throttle on the MT, hearing the thumping of the giant piston makes me grin 20x more than on the sports bikes...not because of the speed or anything, it's just the overall feeling of the bike, I feel like I'm in control of the bike - the handlebars give me plenty of leverage, the suspension doesn't want me out of the seat at every chance....
I may be biased...
Maybe go for a C90? I want one.... ____________________ Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| st3v3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 st3v3 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:27 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: Re: Am I done with sportsbikes? |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:41 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
you guys are making me miss my old TDR250, not that my GPZ is much (if any) quicker just the TDR was so much more fun, and riding any sort of distance (like riding it down to hastings) felt like a major accomplishment, with the GPZ i can just assume it will work.
c_dug ____________________ I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rainer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rainer Nova Slayer
Joined: 25 Oct 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:41 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
On a serious note, give me the RR and I'll be your best friend  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kal |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kal World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Jan 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:28 - 10 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
You are talking about the reasons I love Bounce
It weighs nothing, filters like a bastard on fathers day and allows me to ride like a hooligan at more licence friendly speeds.
I had been on a CB500 immediately before and that was great but I was just baiting my licence too often on it. I'd like one of the CB500s model when I am more responsible, but the truth is I'd need to restrain myself all the time and I don't want to.
Small bikes are a lot of fun ____________________ Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).
1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ..... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ..... Quote Me Happy
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| garth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 garth World Chat Champion
Joined: 15 Dec 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| killa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 killa Won't Shut Up

Joined: 18 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| supersports |
This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 supersports Spanner Monkey
Joined: 16 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|