|
|
| Author |
Message |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jackw72 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jackw72 World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Nov 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:22 - 13 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
France?
I remember going to France for christmas once, it was a magical time.
Rented a villa out for the week and took some friends, was warm without being too not christmas, fairly cheap compared to other options there.
Not too sure about the off roading available there, i guess you are.
 ____________________ 08/11/2007 A2 Passed.
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K3
Rapid Training passed |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:42 - 13 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I went to North Wales one Christmas and it snowed! It was great!!
Another time I went to Egypt and had Christmas on the Nile and New Year at Red Sea - I'd recommend it as it wasn't too hot for doing all the sites, but not hot enough for the beach, so diving was the best bet.
I've been told that flights to NZ, Oz, South Africa etc get very expensive close to Christmas and also very booked up, but given current climate you may be ok? How about Far East - Sri Lanka, Bali? Could be the hottest yet cheapest option.
Now you've got me dreaming about lying on a sunny, sandy beach  ____________________ 'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:30 - 14 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Family want to go somewhere warm and sunny like the Canary Islands but can't seem to find the deals. Talking with friends also looking it appears the likes of XL going tits-up has actually put prices up.
I did think of France. See about renting a Gite then driving down via the chunnel. Advantage is we could take Xmas dinner and in that space for the return journey stock up on wine.
For myself I'd be happy in a log cabin up in Scotland.
Families eh!  ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:50 - 14 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
France isn't really for me, ta for the thought anyway; doesn't really 'offer' much of interest.
Liked the idea of Canary islands as there's lots of stuff to do quite cheaply compared to the UK (ie all sort of water sports, general 'activities, etc) along with generally being a bit nicer.
Malawi and Australia are both places I've been before that I like (Malawi is cool and very cheap once you're there, Australia generally like.)
Ferry to North spain for the bike is 400 or so; could consider riding down to South spain and back, taking in some dirtier routes.
Will have a look into middle-east destinations.
I probably should/will actually save my money and stay at home to generally sort out my house Definitely doesn't seem to be many 'bargin' deals around and suspect it'll get worse the later it gets, as I don't have money this second.
Though with the money saved I could maybe buy a trials bike, which would go along with the whole Wales thing .
I might have a look at Tunisia actually; my Aunt lives there and has a 'Summer house' there.
Oh and while not quite living on a Sunny Sandy beach, I did live in Papua New Guinea for six years as a kid so actually got quite used to/bored of it, but that was some time ago now. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GhostRider |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GhostRider World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:13 - 14 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
You can get a flight to Thailand with emirates at that time for about £500, from there on £400 will be enough to drink,eat and smoke as much as you want and also pay for your accomdation all in one. Activities are endless, though you're money will probably run out a lot quicker if you go whoring, info on those costs I aint a clue about lol.
I spent last new years eve on one of the island beach party's, it was brilliant, though can never go out anywhere in Britain on a new years eve again because it will be pathetic in comparison, not to mention you will grimace at spending £3.50 a pint or whatever (not to mention any outrageous entry fee) when you know you could be on a beach on the other side of the world paying about a pound for a small bucket of rum and coke. Fecking Bliss.
I did venture to New York a week before christmas some years ago, it was a spectacular view from the empire state building at night with new york all lit up xmas like and coated in snow, but that really was the only memorable thing about new york, the rest was gash, unless you're a bird and like shopping, then like me you'll be bored in less than 2 days.
GhostRider ____________________ I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:30 - 14 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Holland?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:30 - 14 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
As said, Canaries. Coldest they get is 13 degrees.... EVER.
Would recommend Tenerife over Gran Can though, by far. And I went to tenerife in November/Dec and at times it was still more then toasty enough. Plenty of walks and its kind of like a mini continent.
Oh and theres loads of big ass lizards to catch on all the walls  ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Davo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Davo Davo To The Rescue!

Joined: 05 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:25 - 14 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you don't mind going just before christmas, how about www.dancingroads.com ?
Michael J did this a while back.. seems to have enjoyed it. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| FASTERTHANSID |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 FASTERTHANSID Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 11 Oct 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J0Al1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J0Al1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Nov 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:45 - 17 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Read a magazine article at doctor's surgery (forgot to take details ) but it was about an English girl who had travelled out to India and taught herself to ride a motorbike and now ran a company taking people about on motorcycling holidays. It's not going to be miles of smooth tarmac and knee downs, but I thought it sounded quite good fun for a different holiday on bikes.
I tried googling to find it but failed - found a few other similar ones though and most are on Enfields which sounds entertaining! ____________________ 'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:44 - 17 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've been to New York before (about twenty one years ago!), in no hurry to go back right now and definitely not for new years, I'm afraid.
Motorcycling isn't important Marjay; I'd looked into in the past and there was somewhere that does proper off-road days in Tenerife, which'd be nice.
Riding to Spain would be intended as a 'motorcyling trip'. Hadn't considered it for Malawi or Australia really.
Had a looks into flights to Thailand and around there; way, way too expensive for Christmas now, unfortunately.
A little less paved doesn't really bother me however I think if I was going to India, I probably wouldn't be paying someone to show me around on their bikes; I'd either buy a bike cheaply there, or better, take the bike I've bought with the intention of eventually doing overland trips .*
Ta for the thoughts all. Haven't found anything that seems that great; some 'ok' deals for Tenerife, but not the bargins that are available at some points in the year.
* Oh and my googling got these, amongst others:
https://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/community/Tours.asp
https://www.blazingtrailstours.com/
https://www.kickstartadventures.com/index.html |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:23 - 23 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I do quite like the idea, but unfortunately the £700+ more than the price of flights to other places is /too/ prohibitive. Maybe book earlier another year . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:11 - 23 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'd consider Morocco - there are *some roads there, but plenty of opportunity for off roading. It won't be expensive as it isn't a holiday period over Christmas for Moroccans and it will be warm enough to be comfortable.
Dirt cheap to get there too if you get a flight to Gibralter then the ferry over to Tangier.  ____________________ Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell!
www.bikepics.com/members/bella |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:32 - 29 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ooh yeah northern Africa...if you do go, and you want a travelling companion...
There are places there I would luurve to visit...i.e:
Libya: Alponia, Leptis Magna, Khoms, Tripoli, Misurata, Tobruk
Tunisia: southern region, Sfax, Djerba Island, Tunis
Algeria: Annaba, Constantine, Algiers, Oran
Morocco: Casablanca, Tangier, FEz, Ike Benadou, Edge Atlas mountains, Marrakesch
I'd also like to visit Ethiopia some day...again I need a travelling companion, because it's not said to be a place to go alone. ____________________ Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:32 - 29 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I had actually been looking at the Gibraltar-Morocco ferry before, with the thought of ferry to Bilbao, then ride down through spain, pop over to Morocco, ride around a bit and back again.
Sadly not for this year now it seems, for various reasons; so looks like stuck in Reading for new year's .
Ho'well, hopefully I might have time to fix up a bike or two, which I might be able to swap for other fun things .
Close to the time I may see if there's any last-minute deals going if I can do it; but looks like stuff will be getting more expensive, not less.
Cheers for the thoughts all . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|