Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Christmas Holiday destinations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 13 Oct 2008    Post subject: Christmas Holiday destinations? Reply with quote

Looking for ideas on possible places to go for 16 days or so over Christmass/New-Years.

I had been looking at maybe going to Wales for Christmas; found a reasonably priced B&B that was near muddy stuff and offered facilities for off-roading of various types.
While I'm not too bothered, it was pointed out it's likely to be cold and wet at this point in space/time.

I've since found that I've got a half day on Christmas eve to the week after new-year's off, so for two and a half day's extra off I'll have a total of 16 days to play with.

So far my thoughts have included:
Canary islands
Malawi
Australia (bit expensive, probably)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jackw72
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 13 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

France?

I remember going to France for christmas once, it was a magical time.

Rented a villa out for the week and took some friends, was warm without being too not christmas, fairly cheap compared to other options there.

Not too sure about the off roading available there, i guess you are.

Thumbs Up
____________________
08/11/2007 A2 Passed.
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K3
Rapid Training passed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 13 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to North Wales one Christmas and it snowed! It was great!!

Another time I went to Egypt and had Christmas on the Nile and New Year at Red Sea - I'd recommend it as it wasn't too hot for doing all the sites, but not hot enough for the beach, so diving was the best bet.

I've been told that flights to NZ, Oz, South Africa etc get very expensive close to Christmas and also very booked up, but given current climate you may be ok? How about Far East - Sri Lanka, Bali? Could be the hottest yet cheapest option.

Now you've got me dreaming about lying on a sunny, sandy beach Thinking
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 14 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family want to go somewhere warm and sunny like the Canary Islands but can't seem to find the deals. Talking with friends also looking it appears the likes of XL going tits-up has actually put prices up.

I did think of France. See about renting a Gite then driving down via the chunnel. Advantage is we could take Xmas dinner and in that space for the return journey stock up on wine.

For myself I'd be happy in a log cabin up in Scotland.

Families eh! Rolling Eyes
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:50 - 14 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

France isn't really for me, ta for the thought anyway; doesn't really 'offer' much of interest.
Liked the idea of Canary islands as there's lots of stuff to do quite cheaply compared to the UK (ie all sort of water sports, general 'activities, etc) along with generally being a bit nicer.
Malawi and Australia are both places I've been before that I like (Malawi is cool and very cheap once you're there, Australia generally like.)

Ferry to North spain for the bike is 400 or so; could consider riding down to South spain and back, taking in some dirtier routes.

Will have a look into middle-east destinations.


I probably should/will actually save my money and stay at home to generally sort out my house Definitely doesn't seem to be many 'bargin' deals around and suspect it'll get worse the later it gets, as I don't have money this second.
Though with the money saved I could maybe buy a trials bike, which would go along with the whole Wales thing Smile.

I might have a look at Tunisia actually; my Aunt lives there and has a 'Summer house' there.
Oh and while not quite living on a Sunny Sandy beach, I did live in Papua New Guinea for six years as a kid so actually got quite used to/bored of it, but that was some time ago now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 14 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a flight to Thailand with emirates at that time for about £500, from there on £400 will be enough to drink,eat and smoke as much as you want and also pay for your accomdation all in one. Activities are endless, though you're money will probably run out a lot quicker if you go whoring, info on those costs I aint a clue about lol.

I spent last new years eve on one of the island beach party's, it was brilliant, though can never go out anywhere in Britain on a new years eve again because it will be pathetic in comparison, not to mention you will grimace at spending £3.50 a pint or whatever (not to mention any outrageous entry fee) when you know you could be on a beach on the other side of the world paying about a pound for a small bucket of rum and coke. Fecking Bliss.

I did venture to New York a week before christmas some years ago, it was a spectacular view from the empire state building at night with new york all lit up xmas like and coated in snow, but that really was the only memorable thing about new york, the rest was gash, unless you're a bird and like shopping, then like me you'll be bored in less than 2 days.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 14 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holland? Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 14 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Holland? Razz

Hmm, maybe, well, err...

No. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 14 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to Dublin.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:30 - 14 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, Canaries. Coldest they get is 13 degrees.... EVER.

Would recommend Tenerife over Gran Can though, by far. And I went to tenerife in November/Dec and at times it was still more then toasty enough. Plenty of walks and its kind of like a mini continent.

Oh and theres loads of big ass lizards to catch on all the walls Very Happy
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 14 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind going just before christmas, how about www.dancingroads.com ?

Michael J did this a while back.. seems to have enjoyed it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 14 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, but too early I'm afraid - main idea is to use up the holiday time; don't want to use too much extra.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FASTERTHANSID
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 15 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and the wife went to New york a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. Incredibly christmasy with a great atmosphere. Ice skating in Central Park, xmas shopping in maceys, carol singers in the streets, horse and cart rides through the parks, roast chestnuts etc etc.
One of the very few places in the world I really want to go again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J0Al1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 16 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going away mid Feb and might choose Kenya, Morocco or Gambia!

Or maybe Egypt!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 16 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTERTHANSID wrote:
Me and the wife went to New york a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. Incredibly christmasy with a great atmosphere. Ice skating in Central Park, xmas shopping in maceys, carol singers in the streets, horse and cart rides through the parks, roast chestnuts etc etc.
One of the very few places in the world I really want to go again.


Dont think its really G's 'thaing' but still...

Do you want to partake in motorcycling when you are wherever you are going G?
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 17 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read a magazine article at doctor's surgery (forgot to take details Rolling Eyes ) but it was about an English girl who had travelled out to India and taught herself to ride a motorbike and now ran a company taking people about on motorcycling holidays. It's not going to be miles of smooth tarmac and knee downs, but I thought it sounded quite good fun for a different holiday on bikes.

I tried googling to find it but failed - found a few other similar ones though and most are on Enfields which sounds entertaining!
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 17 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to New York before (about twenty one years ago!), in no hurry to go back right now and definitely not for new years, I'm afraid.

Motorcycling isn't important Marjay; I'd looked into in the past and there was somewhere that does proper off-road days in Tenerife, which'd be nice.
Riding to Spain would be intended as a 'motorcyling trip'. Hadn't considered it for Malawi or Australia really.

Had a looks into flights to Thailand and around there; way, way too expensive for Christmas now, unfortunately.

A little less paved doesn't really bother me Wink however I think if I was going to India, I probably wouldn't be paying someone to show me around on their bikes; I'd either buy a bike cheaply there, or better, take the bike I've bought with the intention of eventually doing overland trips Smile.*

Ta for the thoughts all. Haven't found anything that seems that great; some 'ok' deals for Tenerife, but not the bargins that are available at some points in the year.


* Oh and my googling got these, amongst others:
https://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/community/Tours.asp
https://www.blazingtrailstours.com/
https://www.kickstartadventures.com/index.html
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:14 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand may be expensive to get to, but it's really cheap when you get there...same with Goa, India...!

Both will be plenty warm, and lots of sunshine, and lots to do.

Plus you can usually hire a wind back and go for road adventures...
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do quite like the idea, but unfortunately the £700+ more than the price of flights to other places is /too/ prohibitive. Maybe book earlier another year Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh heck...yes...!!!
Usually around £270-400 either side of Xmas!!!
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider Morocco - there are *some roads there, but plenty of opportunity for off roading. It won't be expensive as it isn't a holiday period over Christmas for Moroccans and it will be warm enough to be comfortable.

Dirt cheap to get there too if you get a flight to Gibralter then the ferry over to Tangier. Thumbs Up
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 29 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh yeah northern Africa...if you do go, and you want a travelling companion... Cool

There are places there I would luurve to visit...i.e:
Libya: Alponia, Leptis Magna, Khoms, Tripoli, Misurata, Tobruk
Tunisia: southern region, Sfax, Djerba Island, Tunis
Algeria: Annaba, Constantine, Algiers, Oran
Morocco: Casablanca, Tangier, FEz, Ike Benadou, Edge Atlas mountains, Marrakesch

I'd also like to visit Ethiopia some day...again I need a travelling companion, because it's not said to be a place to go alone.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 29 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had actually been looking at the Gibraltar-Morocco ferry before, with the thought of ferry to Bilbao, then ride down through spain, pop over to Morocco, ride around a bit and back again.

Sadly not for this year now it seems, for various reasons; so looks like stuck in Reading for new year's Thumbs Down Sad.
Ho'well, hopefully I might have time to fix up a bike or two, which I might be able to swap for other fun things Smile.

Close to the time I may see if there's any last-minute deals going if I can do it; but looks like stuff will be getting more expensive, not less.

Cheers for the thoughts all Thumbs Up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.35 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 125.28 Kb