Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


bullied at work...:-(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Top Cat
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 05 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: bullied at work...:-( Reply with quote

Hi All,

needs some advice, I have just been off work for 2 weeks with laryngitis, its my 3rd sickness in a year all 3 sicknesses have sick note so all genuine, i accepts the rules are there but my manager is on my back about how much i do in my spare time and will use it against me in the hearing,

I play squash once or twice a week, rock climbing every other week and climb mountains, long walks, mountain biking in the summer.

she is trying to say i do too much and this is bringing my immune system down therefore my fault I'm I'll? she has also mentioned that riding by bike to work will also make me more likely to be ill,

surely my private life has nothing to do with work, but she is giving me a hard time over this, not sure if i should take it further or not, this will look bad on my record, and don't want to make myself a target

any advice appreciated

thanks

Tracy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:14 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty active lifestyle to me. Ask your manager about her qualifications in remote diagnosis and immunology.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rotax81
Nearly there...



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought doing activities made you fitter

Wink


as for riding to work making you ill...............wtf!!! Confused
____________________
ZX636C6F road. ZX636C1H track. ZX7R redundant. ZX0.5R minimoto as ornament.
Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi and VW Transporter 2.5TDi 888 Special (no mot and tax lol)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the catfish said. Your lifestyle sounds perfect, just what the doctors are recommending.

Sometimes people just get sick, she should get over it. If you have sick notes for all your illnesses, she doesn't have a leg to stand on in any hearing. Often, once you've been ill, it's easier to catch something else afterwards, as your immune system is weakened, which is why you sometimes go from one illness to another. I've gone years without anything, then I get an eye infection, followed by bronchitis, followed by pneumonia, followed by an infected insect bite. What a great year that was.

Also, you would have picked up these bacteria or viruses somewhere, most probably at work. Maybe one of your colleagues/bosses has come to work ill or too soon after an illness, so you've caught it and it's affected you more than others.

How you commute to work is your business; if anything, not squeezing yourself into a germ filled commuter train/tube/bus, you're making it less likely for you to get ill.
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Top Cat
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 05 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all,

A work mate of mine broke both his arms mountain biking and she tried to take his sick pay off hin,as it was his fault for doing a dangerous sport,

I'm worried this is where she's going with me, If i put in a complaint someone else will do the diciplinary but then i will make an enemy, she is my team manager and sits in the desk next to mine

would you complain now or see what happens in the hearing? will be taking a witness in with me.

Tracy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Grendel
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem at work were a superior member of staff is making up lies against me saying how bad I was and how I let the whole team down. Only problem being I’ve only just gone back to work after 2 months off following a bike accident in June so where she got all these supposed recent faults of mine from I have no idea. But manager and superior staff tend to close ranks so looks like I may get royally screwed just because one of my team members was having a bad day and wanted to take it out on a junior member of staff.
Now my predicament is the same as yours do I turn it around and claim staff bullying and make an enemy in a small close nit team or do I just apologies and eat humble pie for something I didn’t do to in the first place.
I'm not looking forward to returning to work Monday so i can sympathise with your situation Sad
____________________
Past bike: 2004 Hyosung Comet
Current bike: 1993 Honda Transalp
Transalp Page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=11418462079


Last edited by Grendel on 21:11 - 22 Oct 2008; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonT
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:40 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this situation you have to make an enemy or you are going to get pushed about forever.

Firstly, document everything, times places what was said.

Next do not allow her to even make comments about your private life to you 1 to 1. If she tries to say something stop her and ask her to schedule a meeting with you, her, and her superior to discuss the issues she has with your private life.

Chances are when you say that she will STFU since if she walked into a meeting and said that crazy crap she would look like a fool.

Jon.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Thesupersport... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

growler
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jonnyt document EVERYTHING and don't let her get you alone
____________________
DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your cool, as others have said write everything down and KEEP IT SAFE!
Your personal life is your business, not theirs! I know some employers can try and say that your personal life is having an effect on your ability to do your job but that's normally saved for things like if you have alchohol or relationship issues not legitimate leisure activities.
Are you a meber of a Union? If so get in touch with your Union rep to see what can be done but no doubt whatever happens you'll make an enemy of your boss and that is the best way rather than let her push you around.
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My missus' mom had a problem with a member of staff at work, no need to go into detail but he was being extremely abusive verbally and making extremely lewd suggestions, she told her supervisor but since it was always him an her whenever he went on about this shit there wasnt much solid evidence. A £25 dictaphone with a 10 hour recording time in her pocket throughout her shift ensured that he was swiftly suspended and as far as he is concerned he is fired. Which is just as well really, since I had a word with a few pals and we were going to pay him a little visit at his house some random day at 3 in the morning.

Still, that aside, in line with whats been said about documenting everything, a dictaphone is a cheap and efficient way of having solid evidence about anything thats said, be in it the open office or if she catches you one on one. Besides, with all this crap she is coming out with she'll never convince anyone at any hearing that you should assume responsibility, my guess is that she is trying to scare you,a kind of psychological attack, such that you are already assuming you are guilty, and thus will spend any hearing sounding as if you are trying to talk yourself out of it, when in fact you've done nothing wrong at all. A confident attitude will ensure that she will probably be pulled to one side afterwards to be questioned on what shit she is trying to pull and why is she wasting everybodys time.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top Cat wrote:
thanks all,

A work mate of mine broke both his arms mountain biking and she tried to take his sick pay off hin,as it was his fault for doing a dangerous sport,

I'm worried this is where she's going with me, If i put in a complaint someone else will do the diciplinary but then i will make an enemy, she is my team manager and sits in the desk next to mine

would you complain now or see what happens in the hearing? will be taking a witness in with me.

Tracy
Put something in her tea, make her ill, repeat till her sick time exceeds yours.

Had same thing years ago. Was asked at a sickness interview if riding a motorbike in the nasty cold weather was responsible for me having a few colds. I tried to explain what a virus was but he didn't understand.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me I'd just put the bitch in traction.But then agan I never was the subtle type

Her bullying attitude is more likely to have people off with stress costing more than she will save the company with this stupidity.

Fair enough if someone is taking the mick out of the company..Kiss them good bye but this woman is not helping the staff feel like they should bother doing more than the basics after all they will just get screwed over at the earliest opertunity.
____________________
Current bikes...cbr929, KDX200's, Rd125lc mk2, RGV250's
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had a back to work interview? I take it this is where all this was said.

Now she is talking a disciplinary hearing, so you need 24 hrs notice and its your choice of witness.

I would go on the attack in the interview, question the need for it, the qualifications of the person who deemed it necessary against those of your GP etc etc. Keep calm at all times but fill the time by asking them questions and put them on the spot.

A union rep would be good, but don't be afraid to ask for a break/suspension to seek further advice if necessary.
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thesupersports wrote:
All i can say Topcat is that your boss sounds like the biggest C@NT ever!!!!


The chances are that you will have at least one boss like this during your career, I've had several and walked out on several expressing my opinion.

If it gets this far then either you are going to have to move teams or find a new job at the end of the day because the chances are it will not stop here.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like jealousy talking...

Sounds like it's time to keep your talks down to purely work topics and the weather only. Keep it that way, and they won't have anything to pick on you about. Very Happy
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
This sounds like jealousy talking...

Sounds like it's time to keep your talks down to purely work topics and the weather only. Keep it that way, and they won't have anything to pick on you about. Very Happy


Absolutely top advice! Thumbs Up

Workplace bullying is something I've suffered from greatly over the years as being single I would try and use my work as part of my social life which nearly always backfired on me. Be realistic - work pays the bills and is such essential, find friends and share experiences else where.

It's a tough lesson to learn, but put it down to experience. If you can salvage something out of this, do - if not try really hard not to repeat!
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would join a union. I was bullied at work and it got so bad they set me up for firing me. Started off just a few jibes at me then got worse and worse into warnings for silly things until I was sacked. The union I joined slaughterd them and I won my unfair dismissal case. I was there for 4 years of torture and it took them that long as they couldt find a thing on me! couldnt even give a proper reason why they sacked me. Rolling Eyes

I hate bosses like that, they think they have the right to say anything to anyone as they have power over your job. And the problem is they do and mask it up with any crap they find in the work manuel.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing worse than a bullying boss... I'll send you a PM. Things I don't want on here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 23 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when people try that with me.


I had one moan because I took 2 days off after a bike crash, I gently reminded him that he took a week off when his Son was ill, and that would never happen to me. I also added that I have never been late or couldn't get in because the trains where knackered or there was heavy traffic because of my mode of transport.

Defently question her medical background if she says anything about your health. Also make a point of saying (If it's true) that you are a more reliable member of staff as you are more in control of your journey.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:40 - 24 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughen up, take a poo in her desk draw Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:33 - 24 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thesupersports wrote:
C@NT !


I don't know what you're trying to say. Catnt? Cont? Cant??? Eh?
____________________
Go back to bed - You have no rights - "Streetfighters ~ Mainstream motorcycling's crackwhore sister."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fawbish
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:40 - 24 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
This sounds like jealousy talking...

Sounds like it's time to keep your talks down to purely work topics and the weather only. Keep it that way, and they won't have anything to pick on you about. Very Happy



It's good advice in one sense, but in another, it really isnt.



When work takes up a large fucking percentage of your waking hours, why the fuck should you meekishly stay quiet and be unhappy whilst the cunts that are targeting you get one up? They've succeeded at their little game, theyve got control over you.

You're staying quiet because of them.


Fuck. That.

This life is too fucking short to spend your working life, which unfortunately is the majority of our shitty amount of time, being a perfectly obedient little lapdog that shuts up when its told to.

Never let anyone control you like that.

I know, sometimes it can be hard. You dont wanna risk your job because you have a family to support etc.

Well what the hell are a family going to do, when, even if the money is coming in, their mum/dad/guardian is miserable in everyday life. No matter how much you want to hide it, it WILL be reflected in your social interactions with friends/children/'rents etc.


The fact we have to work so hard to survive is already enough fuckin' control they have over us. Stories like this make me seriously want to fuck some people up. Stop bending over and biting the pillow! Evil or Very Mad
____________________
"Oh....it looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the match!" - "Yeah, its a risky strategy but lets see if it pays off for 'em Cotton."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:50 - 24 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say anything about being quiet...I just said keep the personal stuff, well - personal. Don't treat them like they are your friends. They clearly aren't.

I've experienced workplace bullying myself, and it's mainly down to jealousy.

I'd sit and talk crap with the rest of them, the weather, what's on tv, office politics, about who's dating who - etc. but when it came to me, they got nothing.

And when it came to office socials, I would shrug my shoulders and say, nah I'm busy that night...

It works a treat. You may work with these people, but they don't have to be your friends.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fawbish
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:18 - 24 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I didn't say anything about being quiet...I just said keep the personal stuff, well - personal. Don't treat them like they are your friends. They clearly aren't.

I've experienced workplace bullying myself, and it's mainly down to jealousy.

I'd sit and talk crap with the rest of them, the weather, what's on tv, office politics, about who's dating who - etc. but when it came to me, they got nothing.

And when it came to office socials, I would shrug my shoulders and say, nah I'm busy that night...

It works a treat. You may work with these people, but they don't have to be your friends.


Aye, I agree with that totally, but thats my point. Mind you, I suppose not a lot of people really get to be themselves or enjoy being at work.

It cant be good for your own mentality. Going, everyday to a place where you like no-one.

I think I slightly misunderstood your post too. Got the idea you meant stay quiet, then they cant get anything on you and will leave you along etc

I'll say 80/20 good advice then Razz Mr. Green
____________________
"Oh....it looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the match!" - "Yeah, its a risky strategy but lets see if it pays off for 'em Cotton."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 348 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.22 Kb