Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Phones, again....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 25 Oct 2008    Post subject: Phones, again.... Reply with quote

There's a new(ish) N95 or N96 out, I've been looking today at the C905 and some Samsug i8-something but can't decide. Anyone had glances by chance at either? annoy's me that Sony claim to be the first launch 8MP cam phone but Samsung were, months ago.

The C905 had GPS, the Samsung has built in DivX for movies but the N95(or6) has a mahoosive looking camera on the back.

I just, want opinions atm. Thumbs Up
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 25 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard a fair few bad reports of the N96, so much so Ive not bothered renewing for a new phone and the guy at work who is in a mountain of debt and buys all the latest gadgets didnt even get one Shocked Theres a good review on channel 5.com from the gadget show if that helps.

On the other hand though, sony are the Devil and samsung phones arent something I like one bit.

The current batch of phones are not up to it in my opinion, Im not getting a new phone until something special comes along. That includes a phone that can use bluetooth so the iphones out the question, having said that theres 7 (yes seven) lads at work sent theirs back within the 14 day cooling off period due to a condition they called 'shyte' Laughing
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 25 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, Villers..

iPhone never appealed to me, can't stand them and N95 same. I'm a generally loyal to the grave Sony Ericsson guy but this Samsung, much as I've hated all previous one's look's interesting to me. If I can afford one when 3G get them supposedly next week(contract's with them) I may upgrade but other wise I wait for something "special" too from Sony.
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 25 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I fancy one of these:-

https://www.htc.com/www/product/s740/specification.html

Camera isn't that high a resolution, but I have a proper camera for anything other than quick snaps.

Only thing that puts me off is how well it will put up with being dropped. But likely to be tougher than the iPhone.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 25 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my dad was interested by this, but I think it's a tad flimsy looking and I prefer somethig a bit more flashy/tarty, hence why I have a W910i now. Razz
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 25 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have an older one. It isn't that tough, although the problem with mine is the rocker button which has come off (although goes back into place and generally stays put).

The newer has a touch screen with a stylus and the buttons stick out less.

The keyboard is good for sending text messages.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 25 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly it has got an efficient keyboard but it would take me too long to get used to holding the phone in a way that would allow texting without being difficult. I also like my phone's small and petite.
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 25 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

They are pretty small. Could be slimmer, but doesn't bother me. Size wise not really different to an old Nokia 3310.

Texting with it is easy, although I tend to text with both hands anyway. So 2 thumbs is easy and quick.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

They are pretty small. Could be slimmer, but doesn't bother me. Size wise not really different to an old Nokia 3310.

Texting with it is easy, although I tend to text with both hands anyway. So 2 thumbs is easy and quick.

All the best

Keith
Really? Cool....

I text with with my thumb as phone's in my left hand, although I'm ambi-dextrous.

Depends on your taste, whether tarty or geeky or function over form. Thumbs Up Interesting options.
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently still using my W960i, love it. Probably going to look hard at the X1 Clicky when upgrade time rolls around.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
Admittedly it has got an efficient keyboard but it would take me too long to get used to holding the phone in a way that would allow texting without being difficult. I also like my phone's small and petite.


But that's ok if you have girls hands, You need a bigger phone with man's hands. Wink

I think I am going to get one of these as well . . . https://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only just stopped myself from putting I like my phone's as I like my women...... It worked for a little while. Laughing

X1 has the fold out keyboard again, too laptop-y for me.

Purely because there's peeps writing software for it and it play's movies(DivX)unlike the C905 so I think I'm going for the Samsung.... Crying or Very sad Can't have everyting, in this case, I gotta get a Samsung. I doubt Sony will bring something out to rival it in the next 6 months. Thumbs Down Razz
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:56 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only just stopped myself from putting I like my phone's as I like my women...... It worked for a little while. Laughing

X1 has the fold out keyboard again, too laptop-y for me.

Purely because there's peeps writing software for it and it play's movies(DivX)unlike the C905 so I think I'm going for the Samsung.... Crying or Very sad Can't have everyting, in this case, I gotta get a Samsung. I doubt Sony will bring something out to rival it in the next 6 months. Thumbs Down Razz
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:40 - 27 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the N95 8gb which is great, my mate got an N96 the only thing I can tell you about them is that they do not like being soaked in beer.

The N96 seems good but not much better than my N95 the N96 can have the bbc iplayer though.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 27 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a Sony convert I'd plump for the Tarmacsurfer (and now Steve H) recommended w960i. I've owned the N95 and the W960i is waaaaay better for functionality and ease of use Thumbs Up

Check out Mobile Review for by far the best review site for handsets that I've come across.
____________________
Mellow Yellow
The BCF Top TEN - 2010, 2009, 2008, The Original.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 27 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve H wrote:
If you're a Sony convert I'd plump for the Tarmacsurfer (and now Steve H) recommended w960i. I've owned the N95 and the W960i is waaaaay better for functionality and ease of use Thumbs Up

Check out Mobile Review for by far the best review site for handsets that I've come across.


Prefer my old K800i to my N95 to be honest.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:27 - 27 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

N95 has a fairly ok camera. Its a great phone if you like to press a button and wait three seconds before it decides what it can be arsed doing Rolling Eyes

Still, Im sticking with it until something comes along or they design one thats built into the brain or something Very Happy
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 29 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villers wrote:
N95 has a fairly ok camera. Its a great phone if you like to press a button and wait three seconds before it decides what it can be arsed doing Rolling Eyes

Still, Im sticking with it until something comes along or they design one thats built into the brain or something Very Happy


My old N95 (silver) was a fair bit quicker than my w960i, and thats comparing them both with standard apps (so no self installed malarky)

I might consider getting an n95 8gb (or an n96) or a c905 if they come up at the right price on the bay. Can't stand the touch screen on the 960i, wouldn't be so bad if it had normal keys aswell (only has normal numbers Sad )
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 29 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to give up with the latest phones. They got everything you could ever want from life, but everything about them is crap. Rubbish build quality and software that any self respecting developer would be completely ashamed of.

I got rid of my god awful Sony Ericsson K850i and bought a Nokia 6300 for half the price I sold the K850i, the only Nokia phone to be rated 5 stars on a lot of mobile review sites. It's basic as fook, but has a nice screen, excellent build quality and does exactly what I ask for it, sends/recieves texts and calls. It only has a 2MP camera, but it's good enough for quick snaps.

I do own an iPod touch, which is essentially an iPhone without the phone feature and I do love it so much though, so if I were to get a next gen phone, it would be the iPhone 3G. Though I understand they break easily when dropped.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.65 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 110.1 Kb