Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tough decision

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 25 Oct 2008    Post subject: Tough decision Reply with quote

I left the RAF 4 years ago, and missed my chance to serve in Op Telic, the invasion of Iraq. At the time I didn't want to, I had already applied to leave the service and was planning to marry my fiancee.

I am now married with a fantastic daughter, and another due in April. My life is good, and I earn good money, but sometimes I want to cry for missing what may have been my only opportunity for active service on real operations. I thought the feelings would go away, but they are only getting stronger.

I spoke to my wife about me rejoining ther RAF or Army, but she doesn't want to move away, she is happy for my to join the TA though.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a death wish, just an unrelenting, burning desire to fulfill what has always been my dream for as long as I can remember, to serve, and fight, on active service. The T.A. will almost certainly give me this opportunity should I be up to standard. I have a huge fear of sitting in a retirement home crying over what might have been, not fulfilling my lifes ambition, but I don't want others to be hurt by my choices.

So, do I satisfy my burning desire and potentially upset my wife should I be mobilised (she does understand the implications of reserve service) or fight my feelings and just get on with my life in a different direction?

Confused
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:57 - 25 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a burning desire to go to a sandy country, and alternate between boredom, being shot at, and killing people you don't know.

To serve our oil companies.

Just go bungee jumping instead.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:17 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky diving is all the rage. Wink

I don't know what I'd actually have the gut's to do but it's easier to sit here and dish out advice. Laughing

Do it, you live once and then you can satisfy your dreams, your wife and kids will/should always be there. I know what it's like to want to stay comfy in your current environment with your OH all settled etc but this will only eat at you.
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:46 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
Just go bungee jumping instead.


Shit scared of heights mate. Wink

st3v3 wrote:
Sky diving is all the rage. Wink

I don't know what I'd actually have the gut's to do but it's easier to sit here and dish out advice. Laughing

Do it, you live once and then you can satisfy your dreams, your wife and kids will/should always be there. I know what it's like to want to stay comfy in your current environment with your OH all settled etc but this will only eat at you.


It is burning away, badly. I expect I would only get one operational tour with the TA anyway, that may be enough to quell the desire and not be too much to make the wife shag the neighbour. I think I'll have a long chat with her, make sure she fully understands. I'm going to apply for 4PARA in the new year I think. Just got a bit of belly to get rid of!
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholsony2k wrote:

I'm going to apply for 4PARA in the new year I think. Just got a bit of belly to get rid of!


Would you not better serve yourself and others by going into a specialised trade (eg medic, signals, logistics). You would probably stand more chance of being mobilised but at less personal risk. You would also be far more useful to your country by going out doing a specialised task which frees up front line troops.

You would also gain skills which would be useful in civvy life, rather than learning advanced level running around shouting and willy waving.

Make sure wearing a cherry berry is really what you want!
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:31 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, especially already being a qualified aircraft engineer, I could almost walk straight in to an engineering role. The problem is all the engineering facilities are miles away from me. Not least I'm sick of spanners by the time I get home from work anyway!

12 coy, 4PARA is only just down the road from me, they have a huge chance of being mobilised in support of 1,2 and 3 brig, and time with the Para's will help me getting into more serious professional security later in my life. That's what I hope to be doing long term.

P.S. I'm led to believe the willy waving is not compulsary!!
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:54 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "serious professional" security industry is a tie wearing old boys network, time served in the manner you're referring to may be applicable to a more commercial "celebrity protection" company than anything else. They like self important and slightly deranged looking human bling.

If you're looking to break into guard work and close protection then it'll be 2 parts skill and 8 parts luck if you've not already got the contacts in place.

Apologies if this comes across as trying to piss on your chips but it's a *very* hard industry to get a toe hold in, also bear in mind it's not a glamorous or exciting job regardless of what the movies and thriller writers would like you to believe. In fact I'll go further, if you're going to be good at it on the "serious" end of the scale then it's not a job, it's a vocation and will take over many aspects of your life. It's hard to switch from on shift to downtime, can make relaxing outside of work difficult and will impact on most relationships.

Having said that, good luck with it all. It's nice to see a post talking about doing something rather than a "woe is me, the chance has gone" Thumbs Up
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware of what the industry involves, I had a dabble before I left the RAF. It is a very closed industry, with work going to mates of the contractors, understandably, people don't like to risk their lives with individuals they don't know.

Celebrity protection isn't really my thing, being treated like a man servant to an over paid unaprecciative little git isn't how I envisage my future. There are other opportunities providing a service for non public figures, which although less glamourous, certainly pays better. Besides, working abroard keeps me out of striking distance from the wife. Wink

If it was easy to get into, then it wouldn't be nearly as rewarding when you do. It's the challenge that inspires me.
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the "other opportunities" I'm referring to. No one in their right mind wants to go into the celebrity circuit Neutral

It can indeed be rewarding. It can also be boring, frustrating, hugely stressful and an absolute bastard. Why do you think I went into couriering for a break Laughing
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
and an absolute bastard.


That leaves me oozing with confidence with my decision! Shocked
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholsony2k wrote:

P.S. I'm led to believe the willy waving is not compulsary!!


Don't you believe it! They are sometimes so busy waving their willies about that they forget to pull the D-ring on their parachutes!

That said, para training teaches them that the resultant pain from two broken legs is "Merely fear leaving your body".

Only two things fall out of the sky, one of them is birdshit.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholsony2k wrote:
P.S. I'm led to believe the willy waving is not compulsary!!


It is when the "Naked Bar" call goes up.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bushguy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 29 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Tough decision Reply with quote

Going to resist having a rant at certain posters who seem to be offering "advice" despite having sweet F.A experience with the forces or our motivations to do what we do and whom we do it for.
I recently completed training with the TA and passed out into an infantry regiment and I have to say it is one of the best decisions i have made. If you want the chance to go and serve on your own terms then it really is the best way forward, and I can think of no better unit to do it with then the para's.
Some would say other trades will serve you better in the long run or put you at less risk but I have to disagree there. In my company they are offering multiple forms of extra training ranging from getting my HGV licence to various construction type courses that are completely over my head so do not be fooled into thinking the inf is a dead end job (and if your gunna be a soldier you may as well be a proper squaddie ay? Laughing ) as for the "less risk" that is again untrue, due to the nature of the conflicts we are fighting there is no true front line and as demonstrated by some of our most recent casualties no one is safe out there.
In short I would say go for it, the risks are there (although I would say riding a bike probably poses more risks on a day to day basis) but it truly is one of those experiences that I would not have wanted to live my life without. Of course this is all just an opinion of someone who has not yet been out there (deploy to Afgan early next year) so feel free to ignore at will
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 29 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Tough decision Reply with quote

bushguy wrote:
so feel free to ignore at will


Not likely!

I intended to apply for the Infantry regiment near me, but it's moved and the Barracks are now used by the Royal Engineers. I considered being an armourer for the REME, thats' not too far away either but like I said before, I'm sick of spanners by the time I get home!

Infantry is what excites me most, especially as it is only part time and I have much more in my life to stimultate me should it be a little boring at times! After the re-shuffle of units, the only unit near me is 12coy 4 Para. I didn't intend to be a para, but it's the only local option if I want an infantry role but I'm still not sure I'll get the required fitness. They're shit hot for a reason, and I'm a fat engineer!

What regiment are you in? Where are you?
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bushguy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 29 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Tough decision Reply with quote

7 Rifles based in various places around the south east.

I think to be a para you have to truly want to get through the crap those strange people like to do to themselves, but if you arrive adequately prepared the fitness will be doable (you will still hate every minute of it i dare say but its worth it in the end) but the same is true of any reg, do not make the mistake of thinking it will be easy in any unit you join (even if it is a core unit).

Arriving fit means you have one less thing to worry about and can focus on all the fun bits like getting kit pressed and weapons made immaculate. I would also warn you that inf life has its boring bits too. Being on stag at 3AM after running around all day in the freezing arse end of Scotland has to rank as one of the worst things i ever did to myself.

Having said all that when its bad, its shocking, but when its good, it is the single most awesome job.......ever and I personally wouldnt give it up for anything.

I would say go for it, go down on the next open evening and ask, worst that can happen is you decide its not for you, but just think what could happen if you decide to go for it!
Feel free to PM me about any q's you might have RE training/general life (life in an airborne unit/on tour i will have to get back to you on though Laughing )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:32 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Tough decision Reply with quote

bushguy wrote:
Going to resist having a rant at certain posters who seem to be offering "advice" despite having sweet F.A experience with the forces or our motivations to do what we do and whom we do it for.


Rant away sunshine.

25070977 stinkwheel
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bushguy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:54 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Tough decision Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
bushguy wrote:
Going to resist having a rant at certain posters who seem to be offering "advice" despite having sweet F.A experience with the forces or our motivations to do what we do and whom we do it for.


Rant away sunshine.

25070977 stinkwheel


Not referring to you, apologies for the confusion. I would however politely disagree on the point of freeing up front line troops, what with our lords and masters planning to shut down many core units or convert them to inf, I would say inf is exactly what the country is looking for.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Tough decision Reply with quote

bushguy wrote:

Not referring to you, apologies for the confusion. I would however politely disagree on the point of freeing up front line troops, what with our lords and masters planning to shut down many core units or convert them to inf, I would say inf is exactly what the country is looking for.


But do they want infantry who only train on a part time basis?

I'd suggest that, for example: a regular army cook would be better suited to an infantry role than a TA rifleman. Whereas a TA cook is probably about as good at cooking. If you get a TA cook in, it frees up a regular soldier for the running around and shouting.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

meach
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I point you to your sig
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."


Or you could buy COD4??????????????? Laughing
____________________
2005 xt660x in red, not everyone's cup of tea but neither is coffee
https://www.youtube.com/imeach
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bushguy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would agree a regular soldier of any trade is likely to be better then his TA counterpart (this may not be so true in certain trades because of civilian experience a person may have) I would disagree that a cook or mechanic is a better infantier then a TA rifleman.
The CIC is conducted to the same tests in both regular and reserve forms the sole difference being that the TA soldier will be less experienced then a regular but unlike the regulars just because a TA soldier has passed out does not mean he is immediatly able to ship off to wherever duty calls. He will normally undergo a length of time back in his unit where he can gain some of the experience he lacks immediatly after training. Further to that before he goes on ops he will normally undergo a 3 month beat up training process to prepare him and hopefully bring him in line the the regular army.
Once again again this is all the reasoning of a crowbag straight out of training waiting to go on ops rather then someone who has been there and done it so I am all to keen to find out if reality differs from what I have experienced in my short time in the forces
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm up in Lossiemouth as an ATCA, feel free to swap jobs if you like? Very Happy

In the rear with the great, but still get shiny shit for it.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:
Hi, I'm up in Lossiemouth as an ATCA, feel free to swap jobs if you like? Very Happy

In the rear with the great, but still get shiny shit for it.


I spent six months in the wheel bay there, hope you like it more than I did!
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving it mate. Smile

This place is much like Marmite.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.05 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.58 Kb