|
|
| Author |
Message |
| carlnicholson... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlnicholson... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:57 - 25 Oct 2008 Post subject: Tough decision |
 |
|
I left the RAF 4 years ago, and missed my chance to serve in Op Telic, the invasion of Iraq. At the time I didn't want to, I had already applied to leave the service and was planning to marry my fiancee.
I am now married with a fantastic daughter, and another due in April. My life is good, and I earn good money, but sometimes I want to cry for missing what may have been my only opportunity for active service on real operations. I thought the feelings would go away, but they are only getting stronger.
I spoke to my wife about me rejoining ther RAF or Army, but she doesn't want to move away, she is happy for my to join the TA though.
Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a death wish, just an unrelenting, burning desire to fulfill what has always been my dream for as long as I can remember, to serve, and fight, on active service. The T.A. will almost certainly give me this opportunity should I be up to standard. I have a huge fear of sitting in a retirement home crying over what might have been, not fulfilling my lifes ambition, but I don't want others to be hurt by my choices.
So, do I satisfy my burning desire and potentially upset my wife should I be mobilised (she does understand the implications of reserve service) or fight my feelings and just get on with my life in a different direction?
 ____________________ "THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| st3v3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 st3v3 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:17 - 26 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sky diving is all the rage.
I don't know what I'd actually have the gut's to do but it's easier to sit here and dish out advice.
Do it, you live once and then you can satisfy your dreams, your wife and kids will/should always be there. I know what it's like to want to stay comfy in your current environment with your OH all settled etc but this will only eat at you. ____________________ Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlnicholson... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlnicholson... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlnicholson... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlnicholson... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tarmacsurfer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tarmacsurfer World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:54 - 26 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
The "serious professional" security industry is a tie wearing old boys network, time served in the manner you're referring to may be applicable to a more commercial "celebrity protection" company than anything else. They like self important and slightly deranged looking human bling.
If you're looking to break into guard work and close protection then it'll be 2 parts skill and 8 parts luck if you've not already got the contacts in place.
Apologies if this comes across as trying to piss on your chips but it's a *very* hard industry to get a toe hold in, also bear in mind it's not a glamorous or exciting job regardless of what the movies and thriller writers would like you to believe. In fact I'll go further, if you're going to be good at it on the "serious" end of the scale then it's not a job, it's a vocation and will take over many aspects of your life. It's hard to switch from on shift to downtime, can make relaxing outside of work difficult and will impact on most relationships.
Having said that, good luck with it all. It's nice to see a post talking about doing something rather than a "woe is me, the chance has gone"  ____________________ I'm immortal. Well, so far. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlnicholson... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlnicholson... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:43 - 26 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm aware of what the industry involves, I had a dabble before I left the RAF. It is a very closed industry, with work going to mates of the contractors, understandably, people don't like to risk their lives with individuals they don't know.
Celebrity protection isn't really my thing, being treated like a man servant to an over paid unaprecciative little git isn't how I envisage my future. There are other opportunities providing a service for non public figures, which although less glamourous, certainly pays better. Besides, working abroard keeps me out of striking distance from the wife.
If it was easy to get into, then it wouldn't be nearly as rewarding when you do. It's the challenge that inspires me. ____________________ "THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tarmacsurfer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tarmacsurfer World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:58 - 26 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
It's the "other opportunities" I'm referring to. No one in their right mind wants to go into the celebrity circuit
It can indeed be rewarding. It can also be boring, frustrating, hugely stressful and an absolute bastard. Why do you think I went into couriering for a break  ____________________ I'm immortal. Well, so far. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlnicholson... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlnicholson... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bazza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bazza World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bushguy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bushguy Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 17 Aug 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:05 - 29 Oct 2008 Post subject: Re: Tough decision |
 |
|
Going to resist having a rant at certain posters who seem to be offering "advice" despite having sweet F.A experience with the forces or our motivations to do what we do and whom we do it for.
I recently completed training with the TA and passed out into an infantry regiment and I have to say it is one of the best decisions i have made. If you want the chance to go and serve on your own terms then it really is the best way forward, and I can think of no better unit to do it with then the para's.
Some would say other trades will serve you better in the long run or put you at less risk but I have to disagree there. In my company they are offering multiple forms of extra training ranging from getting my HGV licence to various construction type courses that are completely over my head so do not be fooled into thinking the inf is a dead end job (and if your gunna be a soldier you may as well be a proper squaddie ay? ) as for the "less risk" that is again untrue, due to the nature of the conflicts we are fighting there is no true front line and as demonstrated by some of our most recent casualties no one is safe out there.
In short I would say go for it, the risks are there (although I would say riding a bike probably poses more risks on a day to day basis) but it truly is one of those experiences that I would not have wanted to live my life without. Of course this is all just an opinion of someone who has not yet been out there (deploy to Afgan early next year) so feel free to ignore at will |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlnicholson... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlnicholson... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:26 - 29 Oct 2008 Post subject: Re: Tough decision |
 |
|
| bushguy wrote: | so feel free to ignore at will |
Not likely!
I intended to apply for the Infantry regiment near me, but it's moved and the Barracks are now used by the Royal Engineers. I considered being an armourer for the REME, thats' not too far away either but like I said before, I'm sick of spanners by the time I get home!
Infantry is what excites me most, especially as it is only part time and I have much more in my life to stimultate me should it be a little boring at times! After the re-shuffle of units, the only unit near me is 12coy 4 Para. I didn't intend to be a para, but it's the only local option if I want an infantry role but I'm still not sure I'll get the required fitness. They're shit hot for a reason, and I'm a fat engineer!
What regiment are you in? Where are you? ____________________ "THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bushguy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bushguy Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 17 Aug 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:31 - 29 Oct 2008 Post subject: Re: Tough decision |
 |
|
7 Rifles based in various places around the south east.
I think to be a para you have to truly want to get through the crap those strange people like to do to themselves, but if you arrive adequately prepared the fitness will be doable (you will still hate every minute of it i dare say but its worth it in the end) but the same is true of any reg, do not make the mistake of thinking it will be easy in any unit you join (even if it is a core unit).
Arriving fit means you have one less thing to worry about and can focus on all the fun bits like getting kit pressed and weapons made immaculate. I would also warn you that inf life has its boring bits too. Being on stag at 3AM after running around all day in the freezing arse end of Scotland has to rank as one of the worst things i ever did to myself.
Having said all that when its bad, its shocking, but when its good, it is the single most awesome job.......ever and I personally wouldnt give it up for anything.
I would say go for it, go down on the next open evening and ask, worst that can happen is you decide its not for you, but just think what could happen if you decide to go for it!
Feel free to PM me about any q's you might have RE training/general life (life in an airborne unit/on tour i will have to get back to you on though ) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bushguy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bushguy Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 17 Aug 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| meach |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 meach Scooby Slapper

Joined: 17 Oct 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:07 - 30 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I point you to your sig
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
Or you could buy COD4???????????????  ____________________ 2005 xt660x in red, not everyone's cup of tea but neither is coffee
https://www.youtube.com/imeach |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bushguy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bushguy Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 17 Aug 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Chriss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Chriss World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 May 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:50 - 30 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi, I'm up in Lossiemouth as an ATCA, feel free to swap jobs if you like?
In the rear with the great, but still get shiny shit for it. ____________________ TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlnicholson... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlnicholson... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Chriss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Chriss World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 May 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:07 - 31 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Loving it mate.
This place is much like Marmite. ____________________ TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|