Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


advice on protective clothing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

evil-tetian
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 13 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 21 Oct 2008    Post subject: advice on protective clothing Reply with quote

Hiya planning to buy some draggin jeans as an Xmas present and have come across 2 good designs.
traffic :
https://www.dragginjeans.com.au/products/jeans/trafficJeans.htm
and silverback:
https://www.dragginjeans.com.au/products/jeans/silverback.htm
any advice how ever random it may be
____________________
life fast, die young.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mooserx
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:26 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, i prefer leathers to the jeans, i believe the jeans are good but even though they have kevlar etc in them, i still wouldn't trust them like i trust my leathers to protect me, obviously leathers are a bit more costly, but what price can you put on your own safety.
if i were to get a pair of the jeans, then i would definately get a pair which can accomodate approved armour.
____________________
TL1000r-handful.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

deanoet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the standard Draggin Jeans for work and for town riding
They are practical, save me getting changed at work and offer some protection if i do come off

i do feel a bit exposed when on motorways or other fast roads, plus they arent waterproof in the slightest. When stones get flicked up by vehicles in front and hit your legs you feel how little impact protection they have in them. Sliding down the road they will be fine, hit something and they are ultimately just jeans

For distance or wet weather I have Textile trousers, or a leather suit


Have a look at Hood Jeans as well, they have full lining where as Draggin only have protection on the impact areas
____________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: advice on protective clothing Reply with quote

evil-tetian wrote:
Hiya planning to buy some draggin jeans as an Xmas present and have come across 2 good designs.
traffic :
https://www.dragginjeans.com.au/products/jeans/trafficJeans.htm
and silverback:
https://www.dragginjeans.com.au/products/jeans/silverback.htm
any advice how ever random it may be


I have a pair of Hein Gericke Bike Jeans and a pair of the draggin jeans combats - got to reinterate use the armour inserts otherwise your joints are vulnerable.

I low sided the CG in my jeans, as the bike slid away I landed on my knee - no damage, no pain.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 22 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pair of hood jeans, and they are very comfortable, and have been tested in an accident and faired damn well. Buy the armour with them, and add them in if you're going high speed. Only downsides are they aren't the warmest in winter and have no water proofing.

Also to enforce what deanoet said, the other week I had a stone the size of a golf ball get flung up at my leg, hurt like hell, and left a nice bruise.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 24 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the fit on these too if you're buying these as a present. I find them very wide at the waist and they generally come up quite big.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

evil-tetian
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 13 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:30 - 25 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickle wrote:
Watch the fit on these too if you're buying these as a present. I find them very wide at the waist and they generally come up quite big.


the hood jeans?
would you adives buying the next size down then?
____________________
life fast, die young.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

apple tango
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of the silver back draggin' jeans around 10 months ago and use them pretty much everyday. I haven't experienced sliding down the road on my arse wearing them, but i like them.

They look a bit like skater style jeans, they're warm and practical. The weird thing is that mine don't have the pockets inside them for armor, so I'd watch out for that if you buy some. To compensate for it i bought a pair of Forcefield Body Armor shin protectors which i slip on under the jeans https://www.penroseoutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/Forcefield_Limb_Tube_Leg.html

Regarding the sizes, I'd probably buy one size up than your normal jean size. I'm a 31" with normal jeans, so i bought a pair of draggin's of the same size, but they were way too tight. I swapped them for a 32" and they are fine.
____________________
CBR125 -> Bandit GSF600 '99 -> SV650 02
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 27 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

evil-tetian wrote:
the hood jeans?
would you adives buying the next size down then?

No, the Draggin. Dunno - depends how comfy the person likes to be. I added a belt and I'm alright, but next time I might try a size down, yeah.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

skiberd123
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:58 - 27 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if the draggin kevlar under trouser things are any good? thinking extra warmth if i you can wear whatever over the top
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

deanoet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 27 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are warmer than other jeans, but i sit in a warm office all day and they are no worse than wearing a heavy pair of jeans

the kevlar is stitched into the jeans, it isnt removable. you can buy armour that is removable at the knees and hips
____________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

skiberd123
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 27 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean these things
https://www.dragginjeans.com.au/products/kevlar_legs/index.htm
also have the potential to go out with nothing over the top for the lulz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 27 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody over there is a CyberPunk:2020 fan
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pyx_e
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:14 - 28 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a pair of these :

https://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1_2_99/products_id/3100

I wear Draggin Jeans in the summer (as I am mostly riding round Bristol, maybe dual carriage way, hardly any long high speed stuff) but needed something more wind and waterproof for winter. The plus side is that for most situations with D/Jeans and these is you can get off the bike and straight into work without having to faff about.

When I go on the motorway I wear armoured textiles.
____________________
Shiney!
Kawasaki: ER5, Versys, VN900.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 28 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyx_e wrote:


Good choice, I have a pair of the earlier model with the heavy pads in them. I had a low side that didn't damage them at all - however spilling battery acid on them completely destroyed the Denim* Sad





* I know, who'd have thunk it.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.26 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 87.43 Kb