Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


helping a nervous dog?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: helping a nervous dog? Reply with quote

Right I need help with one of my dogs who is for want of a better word a whimp.

He is a fully grown male german shepherd and cant do a thing right. he gets up to stuff he should not, he kows better and is well house trained. Eating cat pooh was one and he done that more than once and knew soon as we caught he did wrong as he peed everywhere and cried.

Only now this past while this pissing thing is getting out of hand. Its not that he doesnt know where to pee when ever anyone goes near him he pisses! he was scolded last night for wreaking my conservatory plants and demolishing the sofa in there and from then on he will be hopping around jumping at everything. I didnt even actually shout at him as I wasnt in the greatest of form just walked away. Hadnt the energy.

So I went into kitchen to grab a chair as i was about to put up a lampshade and he was in cornor, soon as I walk in he is flooding the ground in piss!
happens with other poeple normally men that he dosnt know come in like OH mates and took him a long time to get used to my dad coming in. He never used to do it around me but does now.

My mop cant take it anymore Crying or Very sad I cant take cleaning up the pee and things he eats like cat pooh and wires off things like hoovers and heaters. He gets loads of love and attention here but the min you take your eye off him he is at something bad and pees before you even have time to aknowlegde what he has done. So it dosnt seem to be an attention thing or is it?

My other dog isnt at all like this. I dont know what to do with him as I have a baby on the way and he will get less attention then and he gets loads now and still does weird things. He would be ok if i wasnt running around cleaning his pee up in house as its not hygenic I think he was abused before i got him as he came from a resuce centre.

He isnt settled here at all and has been here since Jan, is there anying I can get for him that works? I googled things there as my mate said there is tabs you can get to calm but are they safe or will he turn into a druggie?

I found a defuser thing also that cotained phermones? got any exsperiances with them?

he isnt being picked on by other dog either, other dog is perfect pet that I trust. And the cats get on with him.

He has abandonment issues as when i get up he bolts after me with the ears down, i think he thinks we are going to leave him there and never come back. I put my lap top down on table and he is out of the chair waiting to come after me and I havnt got up even. Will not sit for longer that 5 mins, and you can time it with a watch.

he isnt neutered yet but I plan to. Do you think that will settle him also? I plan on that when i get paid next.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is this dog? Can be a problem that younger dogs grow out of.

German Shepherds are a total nightmare at the best of times, I can't understand why anyone would want to keep one as a pet.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
...German Shepherds are a total nightmare at the best of times, I can't understand why anyone would want to keep one as a pet.
this site wrote:
German shepherd Dirk Blume keeps his flock of sheep, a species called "Heidschnucken", 10 November 2007 on a meadow near the village of Himmelpfort, near Berlin.

https://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gLkbWkf21bmt/610x.jpg
...sorry, couldn't stop myself Very Happy

Going now to take my medication Mr. Green
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
How old is this dog? Can be a problem that younger dogs grow out of.

German Shepherds are a total nightmare at the best of times, I can't understand why anyone would want to keep one as a pet.


Well the one I had to begin with I am near sure is a cross of a red setter she is totally different from this other dog. My mates have german shepherds and they are a nightmare. I didnt relise the one I had was a really tame and good one. Wish I hadnt of got another but cant just get rid of him need to try and see if I can settle him down and give him a chance.

He is 1 year old. Seems to be getting worse and worse. to be honest I cant understand whty people said to me they where a great dog all I have seen is distruction and bad behvior out of them. Mates have 4 of them between them. All full breed nightmares.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like symptoms of seperation anxiety to a certain extent.

If it is destroying your house, it might be worth getting in a dog behaviourist. They are expensive but a consultation with one is less than a new carpet!

Vets aren't given all that extensive a training in animal behavioural problems. I have a very good woman near me who comes over to your house for a consultation, give some training tips then keeps in touch by phone. Might be worthwhile asking your vets if they can recommend someone.

It's a young dog, German Shepherds are very needy dogs and need firm but correct training. Now is the time to get it sorted out properly.

It will be hard work!
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Icey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Submissive 'peeing' problem. Does he do it when he gets excited too?

https://www.ddfl.org/behavior/submissive-uri.pdf
____________________
Mutley - 1988 Austin Mini City - Blog
Suetonius - 1966 Series Land Rover - Blog
Uma J - 1981 Honda 'Naked' Goldwing GL1100 - Blog
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it sorted with the other one thats how she is so good. I used a german shepherd dog training book to help with her and she is a star. Just this one is proving to be more difficult. He is really a dumb dog though Crying or Very sad

I dont think there are any in my area but will ask the vet for a number. Thank god I put wooden floors down! but seem to be a hazzard with them legs of his as he dislocated his hip and it cant be fixed as we thought he just fell again and just hurt it. Swear he thinks he is a gray hound in the back ard runing about.

Missy when you look at her you can tell what she is thinking and she is smart, bruce on the other hand is like a blank canvas.

Missy is currantly sitting very proudly in a chair with her paws cross watcing tv while the other is hiding behind a sofa and I dare go near him for he will piss again.

As a last resort though he would have to go when baby comes. Its just to much now.

what about neutering? or will that definatly be the end of his nerves?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icey wrote:
Sounds like a Submissive 'peeing' problem. Does he do it when he gets excited too?

https://www.ddfl.org/behavior/submissive-uri.pdf


That makes sence to me. Only he is over a year old actually and its not excitemnt its more the sibmissive one as he is calmer when greeting people unlike the other dog.
I have tried approaching him as stated in that link, infact i have walked over to the window to look out and didnt see him behind the arm chair until I heard him pissing so dosnt make a difference if you look at him or not.

If I stop scoldig him for wreaking the place he may continue to do it and then will contunie to pee. Bloody catch 22 here! he seems to have a head on him like a gold fish though, ate wire of heater got scolded for it. Then again half an hour later and cried when caught, then another 3 times on same day to the lead was non existant on the heater. Shocked

My other dog done this once and shocked herself and blew trips out in the house and never again!

edit: I just read you can get doggy diapers in that link lol Think i will need them!

honestly thinking about it I tried all the things its said in there and it dosnt work with him. What step after that?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned a GSD but several friends have. They need an extraordinary amount of exercise and attention and I think that it's fairly clear why they tend to be better as working dogs. At least two good long walks a day with lots of off lead running - averaging 4+ miles per day minimum. One friend uses a big strong rubber ball on rope to throw to get theirs running lots (tennis balls just get destroyed). They have all found that training classes helped lots as you are away from home territory and the social side can develop the dog's confidence.

As far as the separation anxiety is concerned I have had that with my Rottie. I've had him from 8 weeks (he's now 19 months old) and he's getting better - it's a difficult one as it seems to be a personality trait in some dogs. I started with making him stop still when I get up to leave the room and literally walking a couple of steps then back until he stayed put - loads of praise and treats!

Whichever way you look at it it will require a lot of time and patience - both of which will be in short supply with the baby coming along! I find I have to check my temper more often than I'd like with my Rottie, as he drives me nuts Brick Wall (yeah, even nuttier) especially when I'm tired. Really hope you can sort it out Wink
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:17 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs. Way too much of a pain in the ass.

Get a cat, all you have to do is feed them, occasional combing and flea treatment, and ususal booster injections and nothing more.

Plus they don't stink. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:17 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 cats and they are so much better than dogs. I still say cats rule!
Bruce is ducking and diving arounnd the house like he is in some action movie about to be shot maybe I should play him the mission impossible theme. He is an absolute nightmare when let out! he goes for evey dog he sees and actually when I walked him he made my hands bleed he tugged that much on the lead, Needless to say I aint allowed to walk him anymore the OH does to the fields every day across the road.

he is clumsy to has dislocated his hip a few weeks ago and its now permanant as we thought he just pulled a muscle running about as he does throw himself arond like a rag doll.

He is getting his balls cut off soon, pains me to do that to an animal but it may calm him down a bit. Honstly if he cant buck up and I have this baby and he causes more stress I have said to OH I will get rid of him, baby first.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Icey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:54 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst having a search around I found this;

Quote:
# Treating Submissive Urination

There are two objectives in treating submissive urination: The first is to increase your dog's confidence, and the second is to avoid situations in which the behavior will occur until your puppy becomes more mature. Begin by observing which situations elicit the inappropriate urination behavior. Knowing these, you can design a plan of action.

# Take your dog to non-confrontational training school. Click and treat training is best. A properly trained dog is usually more confident.

# Try to expose your dog to as many novel environments as possible. But remember, do not coddle. Praise the dog only when she shows confidence and explores the new environment.

# Encourage confidence by playing tug of war, retrieving games or play fighting.

# Scolding and punishment DO NOT WORK. They only make the dog feel more powerless and less in control.

# Do not loom over the dog, touch her nape, or make prolonged eye contact. These are all dominant signs and will be interpreted as such. Ask strangers to avoid greeting your dog or, alternatively, crouch down to the dog's level, avert their gaze, and gently encourage her to approach.

# Limiting your dog's intake of waterFresh Flow Pet Fountain
Pets are naturally attracted to fresh flowing water. This unique silent fountain won’t scare your pet when drinking from bowl or ramp. Ultra Qui... when you know guests are coming over can sometimes help. Pick up the water bowl (and close the toilet bowl lids) 3 to 4 hours prior to their arrival. Caution: some dogs with medical problems that increase their thirst should never have water withheld. If in doubt, check with your veterinarian.

# If your dog urinates out of excitement when you return home and greet her, try to downplay the greeting by ignoring her for a few minutes until she calms down. If the problem occurs when friends greet her ask them to do this, too.

The above procedures help a great deal in avoiding urination whoopsies until the dog becomes more confident. Positive changes are usually seen in a few weeks, if not sooner. If submissive urination persists after 2 years of age, drug therapy can be instituted at the discretion of your veterinarian. And remember, be patient; accidents will happen.

Prevention is the easiest way to deal with submissive urination. The right style of obedience class can be an excellent confidence booster for your dog. Such classes can also open your eyes to the ways that you unconsciously reinforce a negative behavior, and will teach you the importance of well timed praise (and other rewards) in a healthy relationship with your dog.



Also from the reading I have done it looks like neutering him will help but may not solve the problem completely.
____________________
Mutley - 1988 Austin Mini City - Blog
Suetonius - 1966 Series Land Rover - Blog
Uma J - 1981 Honda 'Naked' Goldwing GL1100 - Blog
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

he isnt a mad horny dog though which is surprising, odd time he tried to skull f*ck Missy but notihng else. But rest of my pets changed when nuetred for the better. I dont think that will completly cure him, he probably would get worse with the pain after it Confused Will see there.

Thanks for doing that research though. I have tried again most them things as I was looking up rescue dogs before and how to help them as he was found on the streets. I have no idea what he was doing for 4 months as I got him when he was that age but he was ok then, a bit scared but came out of his shell and slowly went back into it again. One moment you will think he is ok and coming alone and the next he is totally back down hill again. I swear he has flash backs or thinks of doing something bad and thinks maybe we can read his mind for the faces he pulls sometimes. Neutral he is very strange.

will see how it goes and hopefully fingers crosssed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/uk/logos/logoEbay_x45.gif
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
https://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/uk/logos/logoEbay_x45.gif


Thanks for the pic of the ebay logo, Its nice I go there every day to see if that seller actually ever leaves me feedback.

Anyway he behaved! wow! he has a fear of cleaning equipment such as mops and the hoover and often pees when i am totally ignoring him cleaning away. So he sat on on t he arm chair as opposed to the normal nervous running about he does. I praised him like mad when he was sitting there to get him to stay in the chair while I mopped. He did! looked hard enough for him but he done it and is calmy sitting there still looking very relaxed. He does this though, is a good dog then another week he can be a bad one.

The praise thing worked though. I will still get that phermone plug in, need one for the peeing cat I have also who has decided to become insecure probably due to the dog also. My pets are insane.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.4 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 99.92 Kb