Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Just got a new phone

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Just got a new phone Reply with quote

Samsung SGH-E250. MP3 player, memory card support, bluetooth, all that malarky.

£25 from Phones4U on Virgin. I'm impressed. It's the nicest, and cheapest, phone I've ever had.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mobile is a phone which also holds numbers, but that's it.

I have a camera that takes pictures and an MP3 that plays music, and this arrangements suits me just fine Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as someone who rides a bike, convergence is wonderful. I no longer need to spend £200-£400 on a box to connect my mobile phone and walkman to, I can simply run my phone headphones into the lid and off we go. I can also run a satnav system on it. Wait, there's more. If I'm out in the summer on a fast blat and don't want to bother lugging my decent camera around in it's case then if the scene presents itself I still have the means to take an acceptable (not great, but then it's not meant as a camera replacement) picture if I need to.

Not only this, but the bluetooth enables me to put the phone safely in an inside pocket and control the audio with a cheap remote attached to the back of my left glove.

That's just a brief list as pertaining directly to me as a rider. There are endless other uses in my everyday life as well.

It's great to see technology being made useful, personally I reckon mobile phones are one of the few areas where they're actually doing that and making advances.

I still can't get over the fact someone voluntarily bought a Samsung though Laughing
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all that, TarmacSurfer. To be truthful the bike is mostly why I got it, instead of lugging a camera and mp3 around it's all on the phone, i can use a bluetooth headset to listen to music too.

Wired headphones are a pain to get on underneath the lid.

Never had a problem with Samsungs. For £25 I'm very pleased.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

my phone has mp3 on it, but I have only put 3 songs on Laughing I have a Sony Ericsson
____________________
Enjoy everyday, tell those you love everyday you love them
Life is too short to fall out with people
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Sony Ericsson W750i for £25 second hand from a mate. I then put a 4GB memory card in it that I already had and now I can have most of my favourite music with me when I go mountain biking and if I fall off and smash up my phone I'm just happy I haven't smashed up my phone (which I would of had with me anyway) AND an MP3 player. It also has an acceptable camera for when the DSLR is at home.

I agree that phones are great for stuff like this but I don't think I'd have something like an Iphone as I simply don't need to be checking my emails every 2 seconds and be constantly on the net or whatever.
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Just got a new phone Reply with quote

TheBassJunky wrote:
Samsung SGH-E250. MP3 player, memory card support, bluetooth, all that malarky.

£25 from Phones4U on Virgin. I'm impressed. It's the nicest, and cheapest, phone I've ever had.


Shall I prepare a press release and alert the media?
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone missed the point of my post, it is that they are doing a decent phone for £25.

I'll try not to be informative in future, now I know that it is against the law of Bazza.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore him, he's a black belt grumpy fucker with a vicious sense of humour, no need to rise to the bait and get offended when he casts the hook Wink

Each unto their own, I've never got on with the Samsung menu system or firmwares. Actively had problems with them in fact, but as long as it's useful and you're happy then rock on Smile
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:59 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My K750i that I bought over 2 years ago is brilliant. I use the camera on it and the built in torch. The torch comes in handy all the time when working on the bikes.

It cost me £120 when I bought it so I want to get the full usage out of it Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:32 - 30 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the samsung tocco. It's actually really good i like it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:34 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl_steveo wrote:
I got the samsung tocco. It's actually really good i like it.

It's a pile of wank, two of mates have them the touch screen is awful.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:43 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
...It cost me £120 when I bought it...

Let me get this right...

You paid...

for a phone...!?

Shocked
____________________
Mellow Yellow
The BCF Top TEN - 2010, 2009, 2008, The Original.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:25 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Carl_steveo wrote:
I got the samsung tocco. It's actually really good i like it.

It's a pile of wank, two of mates have them the touch screen is awful.


Yeah i agree, i have a w960i and i can't stand the touch screen. Although it has normal keys for numbers and texting, everything else is touch screen and it drives me mad.

I could just manage with something with a big screen (ie - iphone, as i have an itouch and its just manageable) but anything less it would end up in murder or suicide Laughing

I was highly considering either the n96 or c905 but talking to someone on msn made me see something, that how often will i use all the fancy features? Yeah you might do for a week or so while the novelty factory is still there, but afterwards it will be used just like a normal phone. Like my w960i, i got it on contract (i just picked the most expensive phone because they were all free Laughing ) but now all i do is phone and text, its simple.

I aren't going to buy a really tacky phone, you know what us 19 year olds are like but i aren't going to spend £410/£500 on a phone, so someone just saved me £200-£300 Very Happy
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve H wrote:
ms51ves3 wrote:
...It cost me £120 when I bought it...

Let me get this right...

You paid...

for a phone...!?

Shocked


Pay as you go Laughing

Last time I topped my phone up with £10 was about 4 months ago Razz

I have no friends Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:


Pay as you go Laughing

Last time I topped my phone up with £10 was about 4 months ago Razz

I have no friends Crying or Very sad


Thats because your an emo Razz

If i want a new phone to stick my contract sim in, i always buy a PAYG one as they are cheaper than sim free.
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:09 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people just don't have the intellect to use a touch screen. That or fat thumbs. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

F*ck that touch screen sh1t. Nothing wrong with buttons.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
F*ck that touch screen sh1t. Nothing wrong with buttons.


Exactly, plus my fingers are to fat for the smallish W960i touch screen, i keep catching over stuff. And the stylus is annoying in private and makes you look like a dork in public Laughing

I could probably just put up with a large touch screen such as the iphone but i would find myself phoning more rather than txting, My ipod touch is bad enough.
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time I've had to use the stylus on the W960i is when I've been RDPd into a pc, trying to deal with a desktop on that size screen is a little challenging to say the least.

One of the main things I like about the phone is the hybrid of real buttons (that have a fairly satisfying mechanical click when texting) and the touch screen for general utility. The interface was clunky until I took the Vodafone software off, running generic SE firmware now and it's fine, a second or two of display lag at times but nothing overly major that I've noticed and got irritated by. The music management in particular I find quite impressive, there's near 6 gig of albums to scroll through and it's never even hiccupped. I did find a few glitches when my text inbox/sent box hit over 1000 in both, and searching for specific messages got a bit shaky in that the messaging app would crash if you tried using search for a specific word. Horses for courses I suppose.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.19 Sec - Server Load: 0.98 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 109.48 Kb