|
|
| Author |
Message |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:46 - 11 Nov 2008 Post subject: MZ Question: Blowing head gasket |
 |
|
Hello,
As many of you know I am now the proud owner of an MZ ETZ 301 Saxon Fun. I have a couple of minor issues with it - and they *are* minor considering the bike cost £270!
First of all, there is a slight stain on one of the cooling fins on the engine block. It happens to be the fin that is below the head gasket. I believe the head gasket may be blowing a little. If it is, it is a little strange as the bike starts and runs OK, in fact I rode it to work this morning. I tried tightening the head nuts to the specified torque (19lbft believe it or not) but they were already tight. Is there anything I can do as a bodge fix to stop it from blowing? Or will I need a new head gasket (the owner says he replaced it recently and I believe him as I have the old gasket...)?
Secondly, and this may be related to the above, but the bike doesn't idle. I have to keep the revs up a bit with the throttle. This isn't too much of a problem, but it means that I need to be on the ball and stay on the throttle all of the time. Would a leaking head gasket cause this? At the moment I plan to take the carb off and give it a clean to make sure it isn't a blocked idle jet.
The bike also has another issue that I'm not too bothered about, and that is the kick start spring is not tensioned. The guy told me he just didn't know how to do it. The bike starts fairly easily and so its not much of an issue, but it means I have to use a piece of wire to hold the kick start in place after I have started the bike. I just mention this because its a bit of a ballache to start the bike if it has died because it doesn't idle! If I can cure the idle problem then I will be happy!
Thanks,
Mark. ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:18 - 11 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
You just identified pretty much all the problems you get with that bike.
1) Probably is leaking a little oil from the head gasket or it could be blowback of leakage from the exhaust header. If it's just a little, I wouldn't bother.
If it is a bigger leak, whip it off and either replace the head gasket or throw it in the bin and refit the head without one. If it has already been binned, you might want to take the barell off and lap the head in or just bung some gasket goo on there.
EDIT: Replacing the head gasket on an MZ 2-stroke takes approximately 3 minutes and requires the use of one tool.
2) They were designed to not idle properly so you keep blipping the throttle at a standstill to ensure it gets a steady supply of oil. I believe they need a bigger idle jet to fix this.
3) I'm pretty sure the kickstart return spring is under the cover rather than in the middle of the engine. It's probably broken or missing or could have been fitted incorrectly.
Now for the best bit.
Head gasket £2.50
Kickstart return spring £5.59
Clutch cover gasket £4.62
Available from www.mz-b.de website includes full set of exploded diagrams of all parts of the bike.
You send them a parts request using their online form, they email you back with a price and availability, you decide if you want to place the order.
They do this to avoid misunderstandings as English is not their first language.
I have used MZ-b many times and they are every bit as efficient as you'd expect a German motor spares company to be. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:38 - 11 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| stinkwheel wrote: | You just identified pretty much all the problems you get with that bike. |
I was secretly hoping that you would respond Stinkwheel, because I knew you'd come up trumps!!
| stinkwheel wrote: |
1) Probably is leaking a little oil from the head gasket or it could be blowback of leakage from the exhaust header. If it's just a little, I wouldn't bother. | it is just a little.
| stinkwheel wrote: |
2) They were designed to not idle properly so you keep blipping the throttle at a standstill to ensure it gets a steady supply of oil. I believe they need a bigger idle jet to fix this. |
Thats crappy as the throttle is quite heavy and I arrived at work this morning with cramp in my right hand where I had been holding the throttle slightly open.
| stinkwheel wrote: |
3) I'm pretty sure the kickstart return spring is under the cover rather than in the middle of the engine. It's probably broken or missing or could have been fitted incorrectly. | The dude I bought the bike off of says its all there, he had to fix the gearchange return spring. When he put the bike back together he couldn't figure out how to tension it, so he didn't bother.
| stinkwheel wrote: |
Head gasket £2.50
Kickstart return spring £5.59
Clutch cover gasket £4.62
Available from www.mz-b.de website includes full set of exploded diagrams of all parts of the bike. You send them a parts request using their online form, they email you back with a price and availability, you decide if you want to place the order. They do this to avoid misunderstandings as English is not their first language. I have used MZ-b many times and they are every bit as efficient as you'd expect a German motor spares company to be. |
Maybe if I place an order I can practice my German. Head gasket must be Kopf Dichtung or something...
Thanks Stinkeeee!  ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ms51ves3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ms51ves3 Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:59 - 11 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
The only thing that stops the throttle falling off is the bar end. make sure it hasn't been put in too tight.
I haven't actually guddled inside one of those engines but I would imagine the kickstart return spring has a 'hook' that fits over the sprocket quadrant and a 'tail' that in all probability presses against the crankcase itself.
With this sort of thing you usually need to push the quadrant in with the spring in place, rotate it into position which tensions the spring then hold it there while you fit the shaft through it.
You then have to fiddle the cover back on without the whole lot pinging back off again. I seem to recall it being necessary to put your finger through the hole in the cover for the kickstart shaft so you can keep pressure on the shaft while you slide the cover into place and nip a couple of screws in. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lone-Wolf |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lone-Wolf World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:34 - 11 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
0.4mm idle jet diameter has been mentioned to me in a very much second hand and roundabout manner.
This is no basis whatsoever for altering a fundamental part of your motorcycles fuelling system. Unless of course you happened to have a spare jet that fits and a drill. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:44 - 11 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Have any of you seen the MZ Workshop Videos?
It shows you everything inside and how to strip it down and up again.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=140295&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Its under MZ in the first post.
I noticed the Videos did not appear on the internet until the company went bust so I assume there are no copywrite issues.
I turned the videos in to DVD format so I could watch them on my TV.
I class them as an educational tool and general entertainment since I do not have the bike anymore. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:56 - 11 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I can assure you that given a sufficiently large main jet, an MZ 2-stroke can and will run on pure ethanol, never mind 5%.
Take this as fact.
A badly worn carb slide can be another cause of non-existant idling. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:49 - 11 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
By that reasoning I could also run normal unleaded... with a load of redex in the carb!
I think I'm going to take the carb off at the weekend and give it a clean. I went to Halfrauds at lunchtime and now I have a bottle of TTS and a can of carb cleaner in my top box! When I take the carb apart I can see if the slide is overly worn. Anyone know what kind of carb is fitted to my bike?
I've also ordered some high temperature silicone sealant which I plan to daub on the sides of the head gasket to try to seal it a bit. ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|