|
|
| Author |
Message |
| snomag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 snomag Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:57 - 12 Nov 2008 Post subject: Another new one to riding! - With a CBT! |
 |
|
Hello All!
I've found this site through one of the search engines (the big G!) and seemed like a nice place, so decided to reg.
I'm one of those people who always wanted to ride, but never really got there for some reason. (no money, no time, etc...) Finally I got to a point when I've both and as I still haven't given up this dream of mine, I booked my CBT to the end of this month!
I'm really excited about it, and unsure if I'll be able to make it or not. I've been riding bicycles for like 12 years already (I'm 24yo atm) with doing a bit of a downhilling (I'm not a professional, but not a beginner either) so hopefully the balancing will be ok:). What I'm concerned about is all the rest: Changing gears and all those kind of things. (I've never ridden a bike before)
Is there anything that I could do to prepare for the CBT, that doesn't require a bike? Any tips?
Once I finally pass my CBT and my Theory test (which I'm already preparing for) I plan to buy a Yamaha 125 DT, or something similar, but as they seem to be a bit expensive, and knowing that I'll want to get my full license next year, I might change my mind and just buy something that runs, and that's good for getting into riding.
Last edited by snomag on 17:43 - 09 Dec 2008; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rowey |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rowey World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Oct 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NexusDragon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NexusDragon Scooby Slapper

Joined: 23 Oct 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:32 - 12 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Welcome to BCF, you'll be taught everything during the Cbt. Everything from walking with the bike, clutch control, to climbing those gears and doing emergency stops.
You wont need to do your theory test to ride a 125cc, you'll only have to do that if you decide to try out bigger bikes. Just remember that the CBT is a training day, not a test, but you do need to show noticable improvement throughout the day. Its up to you to take in the training and show you are able to control the machine and obey the highway code in a safe and sensible manner.
Edit: As above, I've also found riding bikes easier than cars, but then again I only have an Auto car licence as I couldn't drive a manual for sh*t.  ____________________ DAS Passed 19th April 08. 07' YBR125 > Yamaha FZ6 S2 '08 > 1998 YZF600R ThunderCat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| snomag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 snomag Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:49 - 12 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cool, it's good to know they'll show me everything there, that I need to know
NexusDragon, you've said, I don't need to pass a theory test to ride a 125cc, is that right? I thought (but hey, what do I know, hehe) you need to pass it, to hit the road.
Oh and by the way, I don't have a car license, I'm not really into cars. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| priestessuk20... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 priestessuk20... Scooby Slapper
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:53 - 12 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
welcome to the forum,
Theory test you only need before you go for you license
to be on the road all you need is
C.B.T , a bike, insurance and L plate  ____________________ priestessuk
yes passed cbt 27/10/08
currant - honda CB125 T |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NexusDragon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NexusDragon Scooby Slapper

Joined: 23 Oct 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:45 - 12 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| snomag wrote: |
NexusDragon, you've said, I don't need to pass a theory test to ride a 125cc, is that right? I thought (but hey, what do I know, hehe) you need to pass it, to hit the road.
|
As said by Preistess, All you need is a CBT, be insured, and display L plates.
Just remember that the CBT limits you to bikes with a max of 14.6bhp, dont worry too much about that as most learner bikes are below 14.6bhp anyway. The CG125, SR125, YBR125 and CBR125 are all good bikes for begginers.
If you did want to ride something over 14.6bhp, you'd have to take the proper motorcycle tests, which you'd need the theory test for.  ____________________ DAS Passed 19th April 08. 07' YBR125 > Yamaha FZ6 S2 '08 > 1998 YZF600R ThunderCat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kal |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kal World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Jan 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| snomag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 snomag Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:53 - 12 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I agree, and I do plan to move on after the CBT. But I don't want to rush anything.
Just get the CBT, a bike and get used to riding. Once I'm confident enough I would like to go for a full license, but that's a bit further away in time.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DugieT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DugieT Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 07 Aug 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| deanoet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 deanoet World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:43 - 12 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Get yourself a copy of the highway code and give it a read
You dont need to know it inside out, but road signs and road markings are very handy to know
as well as what way to go round roundabouts, traffic light rules, who has right of way etc etc
It is all taught, but you will have a lot to take in learning how to use the bike, make it as easy as you can and do some reading
Copy of the highway code is a few quid
Format of the CBT which will give you an idea of what to expect.
Remember when you turn up to have both parts of your license with you. If you dont have them, the CBT cant go ahead. ____________________ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| snomag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 snomag Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| deanoet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 deanoet World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:25 - 12 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Unsigned go off road markings
iff no raod markings either then no one has priority, and you must make sure it is clear before proceeding..
Mainly find unmarked ones in housing estates or in the arse end of nowhere
Roundabouts danger comes from the right, but before you move off make sure it is clear ahead and your exit, as you look a fool riding into the back of a car that has stopped for whatever reason.  ____________________ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| snomag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 snomag Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:15 - 18 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've been looking at bikes (used ones) in the past couple of days as the day of the CBT comes closer and closer and I'd need your advice guys.
Basically I'm hesitating whether a Honda NSR125 or an Aprilia RS125 would be the better choice. I like the look of both, and on different forums, ppl say different things about which one's better, costs less to maintain and so on, so I don't really know who to believe
If anyone could share his/her experience with these bikes, that'd be much appreciated.
Edit: Oh, also, if anyone knows a good shop in the Reading / Wokingham area, don't hesitate to mention it! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| krider2010 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 krider2010 Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:11 - 18 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
MTC, Oxford Road, Reading is considered good though I have no first hand experience as I've got my bikes via private sales. Also for gear there is a Hein Gericke along the same road (further out of Reading).
Friend of mine got some test rides just after passing his full test with no problem from MTC, which I'm sure not all places would do. He also said they were very helpful.
There are specific dealers in Reading, Bracknell, Crowthorne, Slough, etc. as well for Kawasaki, Honda, KTM, Suzuki etc.
Whereabouts are you doing your CBT as I did mine in that area?
Sorry I can't comment on those two bikes - I have no knowledge of them. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kal |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kal World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Jan 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| snomag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 snomag Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| krider2010 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 krider2010 Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| adama |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 adama Traffic Copper

Joined: 15 Apr 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:13 - 18 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have a yamaha XT 125 as my first bike, cant fault it really bud..and the DT is also nice, good luck...you'll love every minute..i know we all do =] ____________________ Vlogging - www.youtube.com/caprio85
CBT Passed - 24/04/08 - Theory Passed 18/07/08 - Practical Passed 2/04/09 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| snomag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 snomag Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pedro02 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pedro02 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 18 Oct 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:33 - 18 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
ive only just done my cbt at 25, never had a car license (or lesson for that matter)
so you have nothing to worry about, i got my cbt first go and im on a honda cbr 125 now and i love it! ____________________ TCR | Casual Dating |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| steppen22 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 steppen22 World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Feb 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| snomag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 snomag Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| deanoet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 deanoet World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:20 - 18 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Both the NSR125 and the RS125 use the 2 stroke engines
Produce a lot more power than their 4 stroke counterparts but the cost of that is they burn oil (special 2 stroke stuff) and they require more regular maintenence
Rebuilding the top end as well as replacing the piston is done fairly regularly.. (every 10k miles or so)
Saying that
Derestricted a 2 stroke 125 will buzz along at speeds a 4 stroke can dream of.  ____________________ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| krider2010 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 krider2010 Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:39 - 20 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I did my A2 training with Pinewood (between Wokingham and Crowthorne). They are online here.
If they ask how you heard about them, mention EN125 (little Suzuki) then GPX250 bikes and they'll probably work it out (or PM me for more info) Really rate the two trainers I had.
A friend also trained with them to get his full licence and was happy with them, and an ex-colleague passed a few years back with them and also rated them (hence we both went there this year!). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| snomag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 snomag Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|