Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Another new one to riding! - With a CBT!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

snomag
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Another new one to riding! - With a CBT! Reply with quote

Hello All!

I've found this site through one of the search engines (the big G!) and seemed like a nice place, so decided to reg.

I'm one of those people who always wanted to ride, but never really got there for some reason. (no money, no time, etc...) Finally I got to a point when I've both and as I still haven't given up this dream of mine, I booked my CBT to the end of this month!

I'm really excited about it, and unsure if I'll be able to make it or not. I've been riding bicycles for like 12 years already (I'm 24yo atm) with doing a bit of a downhilling (I'm not a professional, but not a beginner either) so hopefully the balancing will be ok:). What I'm concerned about is all the rest: Changing gears and all those kind of things. (I've never ridden a bike before)

Is there anything that I could do to prepare for the CBT, that doesn't require a bike? Any tips? Smile

Once I finally pass my CBT and my Theory test (which I'm already preparing for) I plan to buy a Yamaha 125 DT, or something similar, but as they seem to be a bit expensive, and knowing that I'll want to get my full license next year, I might change my mind and just buy something that runs, and that's good for getting into riding.


Last edited by snomag on 17:43 - 09 Dec 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:31 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for taking the plunge. Have you ever driven a car or have a car licence? The controls are almost identical. I find riding a bike easier than driving a car, but I did get my bike licence first.

If you want something cheap, a Honda CG125 is the way to go. Millions about, cheap to buy, run and maintain.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NexusDragon
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to BCF, you'll be taught everything during the Cbt. Everything from walking with the bike, clutch control, to climbing those gears and doing emergency stops. Smile

You wont need to do your theory test to ride a 125cc, you'll only have to do that if you decide to try out bigger bikes. Just remember that the CBT is a training day, not a test, but you do need to show noticable improvement throughout the day. Its up to you to take in the training and show you are able to control the machine and obey the highway code in a safe and sensible manner. Thumbs Up

Edit: As above, I've also found riding bikes easier than cars, but then again I only have an Auto car licence as I couldn't drive a manual for sh*t. Laughing
____________________
DAS Passed 19th April 08. 07' YBR125 > Yamaha FZ6 S2 '08 > 1998 YZF600R ThunderCat
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

snomag
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, it's good to know they'll show me everything there, that I need to know Wink

NexusDragon, you've said, I don't need to pass a theory test to ride a 125cc, is that right? I thought (but hey, what do I know, hehe) you need to pass it, to hit the road.

Oh and by the way, I don't have a car license, I'm not really into cars.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

priestessuk20...
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum,
Theory test you only need before you go for you license
to be on the road all you need is
C.B.T , a bike, insurance and L plate Thumbs Up
____________________
priestessuk
yes passed cbt 27/10/08
currant - honda CB125 T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NexusDragon
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

snomag wrote:

NexusDragon, you've said, I don't need to pass a theory test to ride a 125cc, is that right? I thought (but hey, what do I know, hehe) you need to pass it, to hit the road.


As said by Preistess, All you need is a CBT, be insured, and display L plates.

Just remember that the CBT limits you to bikes with a max of 14.6bhp, dont worry too much about that as most learner bikes are below 14.6bhp anyway. The CG125, SR125, YBR125 and CBR125 are all good bikes for begginers.

If you did want to ride something over 14.6bhp, you'd have to take the proper motorcycle tests, which you'd need the theory test for. Smile
____________________
DAS Passed 19th April 08. 07' YBR125 > Yamaha FZ6 S2 '08 > 1998 YZF600R ThunderCat
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Re: Another new one to riding! Reply with quote

Makes you feel any better myself and a number of others on this site didn't take our CBT's until our 30's

I didn't have a clue before I took my CBT and I somehow made it through the day.

They will teach you the basics to survive on the roads but there is a lot more to learn after the CBT.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

snomag
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, and I do plan to move on after the CBT. But I don't want to rush anything.
Just get the CBT, a bike and get used to riding. Once I'm confident enough I would like to go for a full license, but that's a bit further away in time. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DugieT
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done something similar, i took my cbt at the beginning of august, and bought a cbr 125 mid august, so it was my total motorbiking experience, but i did ride mountain bike for years so think that helped, and 28 aint too old i'm now 34 lol and i've got the same attitude i'll take the bike test whenever, had no falls as yet touch wood... Oh yeah and i have my car license for 4 years now, but i now use the bike exclusively as i sold my car.
____________________
4 months experience L plate CBR 125'er
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deanoet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a copy of the highway code and give it a read
You dont need to know it inside out, but road signs and road markings are very handy to know
as well as what way to go round roundabouts, traffic light rules, who has right of way etc etc


It is all taught, but you will have a lot to take in learning how to use the bike, make it as easy as you can and do some reading

Copy of the highway code is a few quid


Format of the CBT which will give you an idea of what to expect.

Remember when you turn up to have both parts of your license with you. If you dont have them, the CBT cant go ahead.
____________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

snomag
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that deanoet. I've already bought a copy of the Highway Code, and I'm trying to familiarize myself with it as I had a few doubts regarding the roundabouts and unsigned crossings - and everyone kept telling me different things, hehe.

Edit: Thanks for the link, it's really useful.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deanoet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsigned go off road markings
iff no raod markings either then no one has priority, and you must make sure it is clear before proceeding..

Mainly find unmarked ones in housing estates or in the arse end of nowhere Smile


Roundabouts danger comes from the right, but before you move off make sure it is clear ahead and your exit, as you look a fool riding into the back of a car that has stopped for whatever reason. Smile
____________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

snomag
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at bikes (used ones) in the past couple of days as the day of the CBT comes closer and closer and I'd need your advice guys.

Basically I'm hesitating whether a Honda NSR125 or an Aprilia RS125 would be the better choice. I like the look of both, and on different forums, ppl say different things about which one's better, costs less to maintain and so on, so I don't really know who to believe Very Happy

If anyone could share his/her experience with these bikes, that'd be much appreciated.

Edit: Oh, also, if anyone knows a good shop in the Reading / Wokingham area, don't hesitate to mention it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krider2010
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTC, Oxford Road, Reading is considered good though I have no first hand experience as I've got my bikes via private sales. Also for gear there is a Hein Gericke along the same road (further out of Reading).

Friend of mine got some test rides just after passing his full test with no problem from MTC, which I'm sure not all places would do. He also said they were very helpful.

There are specific dealers in Reading, Bracknell, Crowthorne, Slough, etc. as well for Kawasaki, Honda, KTM, Suzuki etc.

Whereabouts are you doing your CBT as I did mine in that area?

Sorry I can't comment on those two bikes - I have no knowledge of them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

snomag wrote:
Basically I'm hesitating whether a Honda NSR125 or an Aprilia RS125 would be the better choice. I like the look of both, and on different forums, ppl say different things about which one's better, costs less to maintain and so on, so I don't really know who to believe Very Happy


Both are 2 stroke machines and while the RS has remained in production the last NSR was assembled about seven years ago. Both are quick but pay for it by having no engine braking, a comparitively high maintenance schedule and are relatively fragile.

Of far more importance is the care that has been taken over the machine.

You should be askig yourself not just has it been down the road but also;

Has it had maintenance been performed as and when required? Including engine rebuilds?
Was it run in correctly after it's rebuild?
Has the the previous owner been tight with his wallet?
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

snomag
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

krider2010 wrote:

Whereabouts are you doing your CBT as I did mine in that area?


I'll be doing mine with the lightning motorcycle training. Hopefully they'll be ok (tho I've seen some bad comments about them on these boards, but that was only 1 guy).

Kal: Thanks for all those, I'll keep them in mind and ask them.
I just don't want to end up buying a bike, that needs to be taken to the service right after purchase.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krider2010
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT with them too - was OK for me too (I know the thread you mean). I did my full training closer at a place that didn't require me to get into Reading each time - can provide information if you are interested.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

adama
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a yamaha XT 125 as my first bike, cant fault it really bud..and the DT is also nice, good luck...you'll love every minute..i know we all do =]
____________________
Vlogging - www.youtube.com/caprio85

CBT Passed - 24/04/08 - Theory Passed 18/07/08 - Practical Passed 2/04/09
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

snomag
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

krider2010 wrote:
I did my CBT with them too - was OK for me too (I know the thread you mean). I did my full training closer at a place that didn't require me to get into Reading each time - can provide information if you are interested.


I'd really appreciate that mate and glad to hear it was ok with the CBT.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pedro02
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive only just done my cbt at 25, never had a car license (or lesson for that matter)

so you have nothing to worry about, i got my cbt first go and im on a honda cbr 125 now and i love it!
____________________
TCR | Casual Dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my cbt this year - at the age of 25. Proper test in a few weeks.

I'd recommend you get on your pushbike and do some road riding - so you can get used to riding junctions, roundabouts etc.

I wouldn't recommend a sporty 125 unless you've considered the work involved with these bikes.
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

snomag
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:45 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

steppen22 wrote:
Did my cbt this year - at the age of 25. Proper test in a few weeks.

I'd recommend you get on your pushbike and do some road riding - so you can get used to riding junctions, roundabouts etc.

I wouldn't recommend a sporty 125 unless you've considered the work involved with these bikes.


I've been riding my pushbike to get to work lately (5months in the UK, years in another country) , so that should be ok.

Why wouldn't you recommend a sporty 125? I would use it every day to get to work and for other purposes as well. ( so it's not just for commuting! ) or if you meant something else, let me know.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deanoet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the NSR125 and the RS125 use the 2 stroke engines

Produce a lot more power than their 4 stroke counterparts but the cost of that is they burn oil (special 2 stroke stuff) and they require more regular maintenence

Rebuilding the top end as well as replacing the piston is done fairly regularly.. (every 10k miles or so)


Saying that
Derestricted a 2 stroke 125 will buzz along at speeds a 4 stroke can dream of. Smile
____________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krider2010
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 20 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my A2 training with Pinewood (between Wokingham and Crowthorne). They are online here.

If they ask how you heard about them, mention EN125 (little Suzuki) then GPX250 bikes and they'll probably work it out (or PM me for more info) Smile Really rate the two trainers I had.

A friend also trained with them to get his full licence and was happy with them, and an ex-colleague passed a few years back with them and also rated them (hence we both went there this year!).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

snomag
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 30 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I had my CBT, which I didn't pass / failed just an hour ago. I feel like sh*t at the moment, but oh well. Time to book another one.

The reason why I failed is poor clutch control - tho I've done the whole driving around in the car park bit. I've to say, I agree with the instructor and I did have problems with the low speed clutch control, and the bike kept jerking.

Anyway, I'll have a beer now and just calm down, but I'm really disappointed as I've never thought I'd be 'one of those' who wouldn't make it through the CBT.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.64 Kb