|
|
| Author |
Message |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:00 - 21 Nov 2008 Post subject: Manchester congestion charges - voting soon |
 |
|
I see from the BBC that Manchester Congestion Charge is up for a public vote in the next few weeks.
Of course as I understand it whichever way the vote goes the politicians can choose to ignore it
Motorcycles were once set to be charged a reduced rate set for cars. However, the goalposts have moved so many times on this I think bikes, along with black cabs, etc. have been exempt from charges.
For cars it's set to be £5 a day. The BBC report states for one commuter is charges will work out to be about an extra £700 a year.
Keeping an eye on this as charging is sure to be tried in other places if this one does go ahead.
So, how would you vote? ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? 
Last edited by map on 12:07 - 21 Nov 2008; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:05 - 21 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
If I was in an area where there was a vote on it I would vote against any form of additional road taxation.
I would also be inclined on a national scale to vote that any local road charging scheme only applies to those who live in an area that could vote for / against the scheme. So in Londons case anyone who doesn't live within the voting area for the mayor would be exempt from the charge. After all, no taxation without representation.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NSR Mick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR Mick World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:08 - 21 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
The trouble is that the majority of people eligible to vote on it wont be affected by it. Unlike me who will be affected but have no say on the matter.  ____________________ If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:50 - 21 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm not sure I should vote, in that such charges may not affect me , as said on principle I won't vote on things that will not have a direct impact on me,,
Al la the Froggy debate where he intended to vote labour even though none of the labour policies affect him living in Sweden..
2009 is probably going to be an election year.....
What will happen is this....
It will be voted and the people will say NO,
Labour will win in 2009/10 (look at some of the polls with labour gaining 6-7 points over brown's fake leader ship and BBC propaganda) , much like Tories won in 1992 in the depths of a recession and 1970 again in the depths of a recession.
And will promise to stand by this vote...
Once they get into power they will use the exclusion clause
"pledges and promises in maniefestos are not subject to legitimate expectation"
Which is what Brown used in court to defend not having a vote on the EU treaty. ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| owdamer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 owdamer World Chat Champion
Joined: 06 Oct 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ms51ves3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ms51ves3 Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:09 - 22 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Itchy wrote: | I'm not sure I should vote, in that such charges may not affect me , as said on principle I won't vote on things that will not have a direct impact on me,,
Al la the Froggy debate where he intended to vote labour even though none of the labour policies affect him living in Sweden..
2009 is probably going to be an election year.....
What will happen is this....
It will be voted and the people will say NO,
Labour will win in 2009/10 (look at some of the polls with labour gaining 6-7 points over brown's fake leader ship and BBC propaganda) , much like Tories won in 1992 in the depths of a recession and 1970 again in the depths of a recession.
And will promise to stand by this vote...
Once they get into power they will use the exclusion clause
"pledges and promises in maniefestos are not subject to legitimate expectation"
Which is what Brown used in court to defend not having a vote on the EU treaty. |
Vote for me then, I can't vote because I'm only 17 but I'm strongly against it.
The outer circle is ridiculous. There's no congestion if you go from Ashton to Droylsden yet you have to pay What the fuck is that all about?
| Owdamer wrote: | They say how good things will be because we'll get the metrolink, but they're taking the train away so we're not really gaining a thing. The park and ride schemes are in area's away from where i work so by using those i would end up covering more miles than i do now, plus a bus ride as well.....its a complete joke and only an idiot would vote yes.
Vote NO! |
Who would want to use the Metrolink? I was in Manchester last Saturday and it was completely packed and it was steamed up from sweat
I like the way they promise to fix public transport charges, but they're fixing them at a really high price. I'm just glad I can still get on a bus for 70p  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skudd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skudd Super Spammer

Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| djr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 djr World Chat Champion
Joined: 09 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:16 - 22 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
As long as it's charging to stop people EXITING Manchester and not entering it it's fine... wack the charges nice and high and stop them northern cunts leaving . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| owdamer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 owdamer World Chat Champion
Joined: 06 Oct 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| djr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 djr World Chat Champion
Joined: 09 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| owdamer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 owdamer World Chat Champion
Joined: 06 Oct 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| djr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 djr World Chat Champion
Joined: 09 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:22 - 22 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I dunno, how dumb are you?
VERY... That's why i'm replying to you ...
I was born up here so I didn't actually choose to be here.
You could move ya know... although you might struggle to find a chip shop that'll put gravy all over it
I'd be watching what happens carefully if I were you though. If the charge gets introduced it's only a matter of time before the rest of the country starts looking at it and before you know it we're all stuck where we live.
I'm happy where i live thanks |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|