Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Manchester congestion charges - voting soon

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:00 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Manchester congestion charges - voting soon Reply with quote

I see from the BBC that Manchester Congestion Charge is up for a public vote in the next few weeks.

Of course as I understand it whichever way the vote goes the politicians can choose to ignore it Shocked Rolling Eyes Mad

Motorcycles were once set to be charged a reduced rate set for cars. However, the goalposts have moved so many times on this I think bikes, along with black cabs, etc. have been exempt from charges.

For cars it's set to be £5 a day. The BBC report states for one commuter is charges will work out to be about an extra £700 a year.

Keeping an eye on this as charging is sure to be tried in other places if this one does go ahead.

So, how would you vote?
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy


Last edited by map on 12:07 - 21 Nov 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If I was in an area where there was a vote on it I would vote against any form of additional road taxation.

I would also be inclined on a national scale to vote that any local road charging scheme only applies to those who live in an area that could vote for / against the scheme. So in Londons case anyone who doesn't live within the voting area for the mayor would be exempt from the charge. After all, no taxation without representation.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:08 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is that the majority of people eligible to vote on it wont be affected by it. Unlike me who will be affected but have no say on the matter. Twisted Evil
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I should vote, in that such charges may not affect me , as said on principle I won't vote on things that will not have a direct impact on me,,

Al la the Froggy debate where he intended to vote labour even though none of the labour policies affect him living in Sweden..


2009 is probably going to be an election year.....

What will happen is this....

It will be voted and the people will say NO,

Labour will win in 2009/10 (look at some of the polls with labour gaining 6-7 points over brown's fake leader ship and BBC propaganda) , much like Tories won in 1992 in the depths of a recession and 1970 again in the depths of a recession.

And will promise to stand by this vote...

Once they get into power they will use the exclusion clause

"pledges and promises in maniefestos are not subject to legitimate expectation"

Which is what Brown used in court to defend not having a vote on the EU treaty.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be voting No. I live outside the charging zones, but my place of employment is just inside the outer zone. Looking at the map i'll be driving about 100 yards into the zone so i'll be paying to get to work, then paying again to leave. If I am to use public transport then i'll be faced with a weekly cost of £14 at todays price. Thats £56 a month. Now I dont have that much left at the end of the month as it is so i dont know where that money will come from. I guess i'll have to cut back so that means local stores will no doubt take less from me. That sort of goes agains the myth that local businesses will benefit from the scheme.
They say how good things will be because we'll get the metrolink, but they're taking the train away so we're not really gaining a thing. The park and ride schemes are in area's away from where i work so by using those i would end up covering more miles than i do now, plus a bus ride as well.....its a complete joke and only an idiot would vote yes.
Vote NO!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:09 - 22 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
I'm not sure I should vote, in that such charges may not affect me , as said on principle I won't vote on things that will not have a direct impact on me,,

Al la the Froggy debate where he intended to vote labour even though none of the labour policies affect him living in Sweden..


2009 is probably going to be an election year.....

What will happen is this....

It will be voted and the people will say NO,

Labour will win in 2009/10 (look at some of the polls with labour gaining 6-7 points over brown's fake leader ship and BBC propaganda) , much like Tories won in 1992 in the depths of a recession and 1970 again in the depths of a recession.

And will promise to stand by this vote...

Once they get into power they will use the exclusion clause

"pledges and promises in maniefestos are not subject to legitimate expectation"

Which is what Brown used in court to defend not having a vote on the EU treaty.


Vote for me then, I can't vote because I'm only 17 but I'm strongly against it.

The outer circle is ridiculous. There's no congestion if you go from Ashton to Droylsden yet you have to pay Evil or Very Mad What the fuck is that all about?

Owdamer wrote:
They say how good things will be because we'll get the metrolink, but they're taking the train away so we're not really gaining a thing. The park and ride schemes are in area's away from where i work so by using those i would end up covering more miles than i do now, plus a bus ride as well.....its a complete joke and only an idiot would vote yes.
Vote NO!


Who would want to use the Metrolink? I was in Manchester last Saturday and it was completely packed and it was steamed up from sweat Sick

I like the way they promise to fix public transport charges, but they're fixing them at a really high price. I'm just glad I can still get on a bus for 70p Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:31 - 22 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't often go into Manchester, when I do the traffic is just horrendous, but I would put up with it knowing I'm in a city. I wouldn't dream of using public transport as i wouldn't know where to start in organising a simple shopping trip to and from Manchester from my home. also the time spent on and cost of public transport would put me off.
So if the charge came in then I wouldn't be going to Manchester at all.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 22 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's charging to stop people EXITING Manchester and not entering it it's fine... wack the charges nice and high and stop them northern cunts leaving Razz Mr. Green.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 22 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

djr wrote:
As long as it's charging to stop people EXITING Manchester and not entering it it's fine... wack the charges nice and high and stop them northern cunts leaving Razz Mr. Green.


Well tough shite. The main part of the charge is for entering. Not leaving. Dont worry about em leaving and setting up camp near you. Northerners are choosy about where they live.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 22 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:

Well tough shite. The main part of the charge is for entering. Not leaving.

Ah so no loss there then, who'd want to go there? ahh well noones gonna choose to PAY to GO THERE...



Owdamer wrote:

Dont worry about em leaving and setting up camp near you. Northerners are choosy about where they live.


How dumb do you have to be to CHOOSE to live ^up there... Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 22 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

djr wrote:


How dumb do you have to be to CHOOSE to live ^up there... Mr. Green


I dunno, how dumb are you? Very Happy
I was born up here so I didn't actually choose to be here.
I'd be watching what happens carefully if I were you though. If the charge gets introduced it's only a matter of time before the rest of the country starts looking at it and before you know it we're all stuck where we live.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 22 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, how dumb are you? Very Happy
VERY... That's why i'm replying to you Wink ...
I was born up here so I didn't actually choose to be here.
You could move ya know... although you might struggle to find a chip shop that'll put gravy all over it Sick
I'd be watching what happens carefully if I were you though. If the charge gets introduced it's only a matter of time before the rest of the country starts looking at it and before you know it we're all stuck where we live.
I'm happy where i live thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.78 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 81.6 Kb