|
|
| Author |
Message |
| giarc |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 giarc Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 25 Oct 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Cigaro |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cigaro World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:01 - 02 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Stick with Honda.
Avoid the Yamaha YBR125 (its made in china).
I am sure some people will say there is nothing wrong with the Yamaha. But I have my reasons and do not want another argument about build quality and reliability.
So I would go for the Honda CG125 or the CBF125.
I do not have enough information about the CBF125 at the moment.
The Honda CG125 is tried and tested and every mechanic knows it inside and out.
There is also a Honda CG125 website https://hondacg125.awardspace.com/
The Honda CBF125 is an overhead cam engine so will accelerate faster.
Its also got 15% more engine pulling power.
The fuel consumption is much better than the Honda CG125.
Looks like if you thrash a Honda CG125 you would get around 90mpg (normally get around 100mpg) but the Honda CBF125 would get around 120mpg.
The Honda 2 year warrantee that came with the Honda CG125 would be transferred to you so you have over 1 years warrantee left.
The Honda CBF125 has fuel injection instead of a carb.
This means no choke wich is the Honda CG125 weakness (the lever is hard to get to and you have to keep the throttle open when on choke).
But the downside of fuel injection is its much more complicated and hard to diagnose a fault and expensive.
I get the feeling the Honda CBF125 is faster against a head wind due to the aerodynamics and lower gearing.
The Honda CBF125 retail price is £1799 (not sure above the 2.5% vat drop).
But availability is very limited at the moment (the first ones go on sale this week I think?)
I do not know if the insurance is higher on the CBF125 compared to the CG125.
I hope the CBF125 does not have valve shims.
I do not know the CBF125 service intervals (CG125 is every 2500 miles).
I have been reading some CBF125 India reviews where the bike is made.
They have had it since the summer but with a carb.
I get the feeling the gearbox is identical to the CG125.
If I was in your shoes I would really have a good look at the CBF125.
But at the moment there is just not enough information.
If possible I would wait a month or two until its in the shops and you can see and sit on one.
You can also then find out the insurance and servicing intervals and costs. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cicatrez |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cicatrez Crazy Courier

Joined: 02 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:24 - 02 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| luke27 wrote: | Stick with Honda.
Avoid the Yamaha YBR125 (its made in china).
I am sure some people will say there is nothing wrong with the Yamaha. But I have my reasons and do not want another argument about build quality and reliability.
So I would go for the Honda CG125 or the CBF125.
I do not have enough information about the CBF125 at the moment.
The Honda CG125 is tried and tested and every mechanic knows it inside and out.
There is also a Honda CG125 website https://hondacg125.awardspace.com/
The Honda CBF125 is an overhead cam engine so will accelerate faster.
Its also got 15% more engine pulling power.
The fuel consumption is much better than the Honda CG125.
Looks like if you thrash a Honda CG125 you would get around 90mpg (normally get around 100mpg) but the Honda CBF125 would get around 120mpg.
The Honda 2 year warrantee that came with the Honda CG125 would be transferred to you so you have over 1 years warrantee left.
The Honda CBF125 has fuel injection instead of a carb.
This means no choke wich is the Honda CG125 weakness (the lever is hard to get to and you have to keep the throttle open when on choke).
But the downside of fuel injection is its much more complicated and hard to diagnose a fault and expensive.
I get the feeling the Honda CBF125 is faster against a head wind due to the aerodynamics and lower gearing.
The Honda CBF125 retail price is £1799 (not sure above the 2.5% vat drop).
But availability is very limited at the moment (the first ones go on sale this week I think?)
I do not know if the insurance is higher on the CBF125 compared to the CG125.
I hope the CBF125 does not have valve shims.
I do not know the CBF125 service intervals (CG125 is every 2500 miles).
I have been reading some CBF125 India reviews where the bike is made.
They have had it since the summer but with a carb.
I get the feeling the gearbox is identical to the CG125.
If I was in your shoes I would really have a good look at the CBF125.
But at the moment there is just not enough information.
If possible I would wait a month or two until its in the shops and you can see and sit on one.
You can also then find out the insurance and servicing intervals and costs. |
Are you that 'Spoon' bloke that used to hang around here that's totally obsessed with plugging his website about CG125s? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| giarc |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 giarc Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 25 Oct 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:31 - 02 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the replies guys, some things to think about. I've had a look for local CGs and not a single one for sale within 80 mile radius of me!
It does seem like a nice bike, and £500 cheaper than list with 900 miles. But I have a nagging worry that as soon as the CBF comes out I'll lose a bucket on this!
But as you said Luke, the CBF will be harder to get hold of at the moment, and i'd like to start riding sooner than later!
dilemmas  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:43 - 02 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| giarc wrote: | Thanks for the replies guys, some things to think about. I've had a look for local CGs and not a single one for sale within 80 mile radius of me!
It does seem like a nice bike, and £500 cheaper than list with 900 miles. But I have a nagging worry that as soon as the CBF comes out I'll lose a bucket on this!
But as you said Luke, the CBF will be harder to get hold of at the moment, and i'd like to start riding sooner than later!
dilemmas  |
I assume you have read the new motorcycle test happens at the end of march. So its will be easier and cheaper to pass your test before then.
I also would be concerned about if the CBF125 will devalue the CG125. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:45 - 02 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Toby R wrote: | | luke27 wrote: | Stick with Honda.
Avoid the Yamaha YBR125 (its made in china).
I am sure some people will say there is nothing wrong with the Yamaha. But I have my reasons and do not want another argument about build quality and reliability.
So I would go for the Honda CG125 or the CBF125.
I do not have enough information about the CBF125 at the moment.
The Honda CG125 is tried and tested and every mechanic knows it inside and out.
There is also a Honda CG125 website https://hondacg125.awardspace.com/
The Honda CBF125 is an overhead cam engine so will accelerate faster.
Its also got 15% more engine pulling power.
The fuel consumption is much better than the Honda CG125.
Looks like if you thrash a Honda CG125 you would get around 90mpg (normally get around 100mpg) but the Honda CBF125 would get around 120mpg.
The Honda 2 year warrantee that came with the Honda CG125 would be transferred to you so you have over 1 years warrantee left.
The Honda CBF125 has fuel injection instead of a carb.
This means no choke wich is the Honda CG125 weakness (the lever is hard to get to and you have to keep the throttle open when on choke).
But the downside of fuel injection is its much more complicated and hard to diagnose a fault and expensive.
I get the feeling the Honda CBF125 is faster against a head wind due to the aerodynamics and lower gearing.
The Honda CBF125 retail price is £1799 (not sure above the 2.5% vat drop).
But availability is very limited at the moment (the first ones go on sale this week I think?)
I do not know if the insurance is higher on the CBF125 compared to the CG125.
I hope the CBF125 does not have valve shims.
I do not know the CBF125 service intervals (CG125 is every 2500 miles).
I have been reading some CBF125 India reviews where the bike is made.
They have had it since the summer but with a carb.
I get the feeling the gearbox is identical to the CG125.
If I was in your shoes I would really have a good look at the CBF125.
But at the moment there is just not enough information.
If possible I would wait a month or two until its in the shops and you can see and sit on one.
You can also then find out the insurance and servicing intervals and costs. |
Are you that 'Spoon' bloke that used to hang around here that's totally obsessed with plugging his website about CG125s? |
I think you need a reality check as well as to learn how to read.
If you want to cause trouble and have an argument find someone else.
I will ignore any more of your posts. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| priestessuk20... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 priestessuk20... Scooby Slapper
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| multijoy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 multijoy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Oct 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:48 - 02 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cicatrez |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cicatrez Crazy Courier

Joined: 02 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:37 - 02 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think you will struggle to find many nearly new CG125's around, and although i do think you could get one cheaper than the one you have seen, it would be from a private seller and not a dealer with a warrenty etc. CG's are tough and sturdy bikes, they will last a very long time with normal maintainence adhered to.
I sold a 96 CG125 about 5years ago for £950, so to find a nearly new one for anything under about £1200-1400 would be a bargain. You won't get an early Brazilan CG thats in good working order with Tax and test for less than £500-600, as they are sought after and do hold a decent price.
Having seen that MCN review of the CBF125, i would steer clear IMO. It cannot be much better than a CG, the build quality cannot be as good i'd say, and if you look around you'd find a nice secondhand CBR125, which is a better bike altogether for about £1500.
Will have a look at the CBF tomorrow close up, and see how it looks and feels, but i can't see that it offers much over a CG or is a good as the CBR. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Newbiker0507 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Newbiker0507 Crazy Courier
Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lozzypop1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lozzypop1 Certified MILF!

Joined: 04 Jan 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| giarc |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 giarc Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 25 Oct 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:36 - 03 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
It looks nice enough, and the overall build quality is probably as good as a CG or YBR125. But it looks a bit bulky, and i don't think it's going to be much different or better to ride than a late CG125 IMO. The Claimed power output is just 11.1bhp
That's no improvement over the CG, but it weighs more! I would just feel a bit short changed buying one myself TBH, as it would be no improvement over a previous bike. The next thing i did at the Show today was to jump on a HRC coloured CBR125R, and all of a sudden i had a smile on my face. A lovely little bike, that is light and small, but looks and feels like a 125 Sportsbike IMO. I can't help but think that if your money was going to go on a new or nearly new Honda, that there is just no choice to make, from style, build quality, performance and value. The CBR feels like a great little bike! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Newbiker0507 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Newbiker0507 Crazy Courier
Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jammy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jammy L Plate Warrior
Joined: 05 Dec 2008 Karma : 
|
 Posted: 00:14 - 05 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ive been looking at a cbf125 to as a workhorse and found this test by Kevin Ash https://www.ashonbikes.com/hondacbf125 he did a proper fuel consumption test and reckons it can easy do 120mpg and more. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Newbiker0507 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Newbiker0507 Crazy Courier
Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| luke27 |
This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 luke27 Nova Slayer
Joined: 15 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|