Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Advice on a CG125 anybody?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

giarc
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Advice on a CG125 anybody? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd just like to ask somebody a bit more experience! Been to a local shop and they have a 08 Honda CG in black with 900 miles for £1700, had a chat with him and he said he would do it for £1500.

It looks tidy enough (I'm new to biking so that's about all I can tell) and had one owner (70year old guy) who bought it new from Honda in March.

Just wondering if this is a good deal, or should I save the extra 300/400 and buy a new YBR/CBF 125?

Thanks
Craig
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG is cheap reliable transport.

Though personally I wouldn't pay that much for one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

luke27
Nova Slayer



Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with Honda.
Avoid the Yamaha YBR125 (its made in china).

I am sure some people will say there is nothing wrong with the Yamaha. But I have my reasons and do not want another argument about build quality and reliability.

So I would go for the Honda CG125 or the CBF125.
I do not have enough information about the CBF125 at the moment.
The Honda CG125 is tried and tested and every mechanic knows it inside and out.
There is also a Honda CG125 website https://hondacg125.awardspace.com/

The Honda CBF125 is an overhead cam engine so will accelerate faster.
Its also got 15% more engine pulling power.
The fuel consumption is much better than the Honda CG125.
Looks like if you thrash a Honda CG125 you would get around 90mpg (normally get around 100mpg) but the Honda CBF125 would get around 120mpg.

The Honda 2 year warrantee that came with the Honda CG125 would be transferred to you so you have over 1 years warrantee left.

The Honda CBF125 has fuel injection instead of a carb.
This means no choke wich is the Honda CG125 weakness (the lever is hard to get to and you have to keep the throttle open when on choke).
But the downside of fuel injection is its much more complicated and hard to diagnose a fault and expensive.

I get the feeling the Honda CBF125 is faster against a head wind due to the aerodynamics and lower gearing.

The Honda CBF125 retail price is £1799 (not sure above the 2.5% vat drop).
But availability is very limited at the moment (the first ones go on sale this week I think?)
I do not know if the insurance is higher on the CBF125 compared to the CG125.
I hope the CBF125 does not have valve shims.
I do not know the CBF125 service intervals (CG125 is every 2500 miles).

I have been reading some CBF125 India reviews where the bike is made.
They have had it since the summer but with a carb.
I get the feeling the gearbox is identical to the CG125.

If I was in your shoes I would really have a good look at the CBF125.
But at the moment there is just not enough information.
If possible I would wait a month or two until its in the shops and you can see and sit on one.
You can also then find out the insurance and servicing intervals and costs.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cicatrez
Crazy Courier



Joined: 02 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably pick up a decent CG for around £500.use it until the CBF125 comes out, sell the CG (you might even be able to make tiny profit) and get the CBF.
____________________
-----------------------
'02 Honda City Fly
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke27 wrote:
Stick with Honda.
Avoid the Yamaha YBR125 (its made in china).

I am sure some people will say there is nothing wrong with the Yamaha. But I have my reasons and do not want another argument about build quality and reliability.

So I would go for the Honda CG125 or the CBF125.
I do not have enough information about the CBF125 at the moment.
The Honda CG125 is tried and tested and every mechanic knows it inside and out.
There is also a Honda CG125 website https://hondacg125.awardspace.com/

The Honda CBF125 is an overhead cam engine so will accelerate faster.
Its also got 15% more engine pulling power.
The fuel consumption is much better than the Honda CG125.
Looks like if you thrash a Honda CG125 you would get around 90mpg (normally get around 100mpg) but the Honda CBF125 would get around 120mpg.

The Honda 2 year warrantee that came with the Honda CG125 would be transferred to you so you have over 1 years warrantee left.

The Honda CBF125 has fuel injection instead of a carb.
This means no choke wich is the Honda CG125 weakness (the lever is hard to get to and you have to keep the throttle open when on choke).
But the downside of fuel injection is its much more complicated and hard to diagnose a fault and expensive.

I get the feeling the Honda CBF125 is faster against a head wind due to the aerodynamics and lower gearing.

The Honda CBF125 retail price is £1799 (not sure above the 2.5% vat drop).
But availability is very limited at the moment (the first ones go on sale this week I think?)
I do not know if the insurance is higher on the CBF125 compared to the CG125.
I hope the CBF125 does not have valve shims.
I do not know the CBF125 service intervals (CG125 is every 2500 miles).

I have been reading some CBF125 India reviews where the bike is made.
They have had it since the summer but with a carb.
I get the feeling the gearbox is identical to the CG125.

If I was in your shoes I would really have a good look at the CBF125.
But at the moment there is just not enough information.
If possible I would wait a month or two until its in the shops and you can see and sit on one.
You can also then find out the insurance and servicing intervals and costs.


Are you that 'Spoon' bloke that used to hang around here that's totally obsessed with plugging his website about CG125s?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

giarc
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, some things to think about. I've had a look for local CGs and not a single one for sale within 80 mile radius of me!

It does seem like a nice bike, and £500 cheaper than list with 900 miles. But I have a nagging worry that as soon as the CBF comes out I'll lose a bucket on this!

But as you said Luke, the CBF will be harder to get hold of at the moment, and i'd like to start riding sooner than later!

dilemmas Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

luke27
Nova Slayer



Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

giarc wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, some things to think about. I've had a look for local CGs and not a single one for sale within 80 mile radius of me!

It does seem like a nice bike, and £500 cheaper than list with 900 miles. But I have a nagging worry that as soon as the CBF comes out I'll lose a bucket on this!

But as you said Luke, the CBF will be harder to get hold of at the moment, and i'd like to start riding sooner than later!

dilemmas Sad


I assume you have read the new motorcycle test happens at the end of march. So its will be easier and cheaper to pass your test before then.

I also would be concerned about if the CBF125 will devalue the CG125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
luke27 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

priestessuk20...
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

cicatrez wrote:
You could probably pick up a decent CG for around £500.use it until the CBF125 comes out, sell the CG (you might even be able to make tiny profit) and get the CBF.


wish you could find one for me..... been hunting for nearly 4 weeks now and every single one has sold for over £700 to 800
getting fed up here now, will I ever have my own bike(not chinese)
____________________
priestessuk
yes passed cbt 27/10/08
currant - honda CB125 T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

multijoy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, I'd go for the cg every time. If you were already looking to buy new/ nearly new then I reckon you won't go far wrong.

Going by the fact that 10-20 year old CG125's still go for £4-600, she'll still hold reasonably well. You may not get your full money back, but it'll cost bugger all to run and is great for commuting.

Also, you're not going to have to MOT it for a couple of years at that age.

No, it's not sporty, but you'll never have a problem selling it[1].

[1] Not a guarantee! Your home may be at risk if you listen to financial advice on the internetwebs. And that'll learn ya!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

luke27
Nova Slayer



Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some places with 2nd hand bike ads.

Ebay of course.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/BIKES/bikes.jsp

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikesforsale/

https://ww1.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/used/index.html

The only other thing I can recommend is you keep checking the websites every week.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

luke27
Nova Slayer



Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycle news have just done a short review of the CBF125.
I do not like what it says about build quality.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2008/December/dec0208-honda-cbf125-road-test/

Compare that to their review of the Honda CG125.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-CG125-1975-current/?&R=EPI-301

I wondered how they could drop the price from £2000 for the Brazil Honda CG125.
To £1799 for an indian CBF125 which is far higher spec.
So I assume the answer is they have reduced the build quality.

Saying that I assume the CBF125 atleast equals or beats the Yamaha YBR125 build quality.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke27 wrote:
Toby R wrote:


Are you that 'Spoon' bloke that used to hang around here that's totally obsessed with plugging his website about CG125s?


I think you need a reality check as well as to learn how to read.
If you want to cause trouble and have an argument find someone else.
I will ignore any more of your posts.


So is that a yes then? Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cicatrez
Crazy Courier



Joined: 02 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

priestessuk2000 wrote:
cicatrez wrote:
You could probably pick up a decent CG for around £500.use it until the CBF125 comes out, sell the CG (you might even be able to make tiny profit) and get the CBF.


wish you could find one for me..... been hunting for nearly 4 weeks now and every single one has sold for over £700 to 800
getting fed up here now, will I ever have my own bike(not chinese)


Thats rather suprising considering your location. Usually its cheaper up north. Keep an eye out on ebay,Loot,gumtree. Autotrader almost seems impossible to find a decent 125 for around £500. I was lucky to get mine for just over £500 in london!
____________________
-----------------------
'02 Honda City Fly
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:37 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will struggle to find many nearly new CG125's around, and although i do think you could get one cheaper than the one you have seen, it would be from a private seller and not a dealer with a warrenty etc. CG's are tough and sturdy bikes, they will last a very long time with normal maintainence adhered to.

I sold a 96 CG125 about 5years ago for £950, so to find a nearly new one for anything under about £1200-1400 would be a bargain. You won't get an early Brazilan CG thats in good working order with Tax and test for less than £500-600, as they are sought after and do hold a decent price.

Having seen that MCN review of the CBF125, i would steer clear IMO. It cannot be much better than a CG, the build quality cannot be as good i'd say, and if you look around you'd find a nice secondhand CBR125, which is a better bike altogether for about £1500.

Will have a look at the CBF tomorrow close up, and see how it looks and feels, but i can't see that it offers much over a CG or is a good as the CBR.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:22 - 03 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG's are great bikes, but do not pay more than £800 for one if you intend to do your test within the subsequent period.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 03 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

giarc wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, some things to think about. I've had a look for local CGs and not a single one for sale within 80 mile radius of me!


Penelope Shitstop could be for sale....
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

giarc
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 03 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help all, after having a chat with my younger brother, I think he will be doing his cbt in the spring/summer, so with that in mind and feeling a bit flush I've just ordered a black CBF 125. Being delivered a week friday, so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm not worried about loosing money on it as he will benefit from it after I'm done, and due to his age he will have to hold onto to it for 2 years, so it's a better investment.

Thanks for the advice, fingers crossed it's a good choice!

Craig
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 03 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice enough, and the overall build quality is probably as good as a CG or YBR125. But it looks a bit bulky, and i don't think it's going to be much different or better to ride than a late CG125 IMO. The Claimed power output is just 11.1bhp Shocked

That's no improvement over the CG, but it weighs more! I would just feel a bit short changed buying one myself TBH, as it would be no improvement over a previous bike. The next thing i did at the Show today was to jump on a HRC coloured CBR125R, and all of a sudden i had a smile on my face. A lovely little bike, that is light and small, but looks and feels like a 125 Sportsbike IMO. I can't help but think that if your money was going to go on a new or nearly new Honda, that there is just no choice to make, from style, build quality, performance and value. The CBR feels like a great little bike!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:47 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, biking is as much about value for money as it is about fun. In my current situation, I don't care about looking good or riding a really hot 125. I just wanna pass my test, get to work and back, and be able to travel on the motorway quickly and safely.

Buying a CBF is a waste of money IMO.

But whatever floats your boat!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

luke27
Nova Slayer



Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I phoned several Honda dealers today and this is what I found out from them.

Today loads of Honda dealers have received one or two Honda CBF125 for the first time.
It looks like Honda have supplied one to be used as a demonstrator only.
Only problem is some dealers will not put the demonstrator on the road due to their shops insurance conditions of needing a full bike licence for at least 1 year.
Other dealers are putting the bike on the road to be a demonstrator.

I asked about the riding position and how it compares to the CG125 and CBR125.

Its similar to the CG125 (upright riding position).
Its a much bigger bike than the CBR125.

They confirmed that the CBR125 riding position is far to far forward and is only for short people.

They also got the owners manual out for me and read out the servicing intervals.
Its every 2500 miles like the CG125.
That includes oil and valve clearance.

That means the valves must be the old easy to adjust sort that anyone can do not the modern dreaded shims.
Shims do not need adjusting any ware near as often as the old fashioned valve.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke27 wrote:
I phoned several Honda dealers today and this is what I found out from them.

Today loads of Honda dealers have received one or two Honda CBF125 for the first time.
It looks like Honda have supplied one to be used as a demonstrator only.
Only problem is some dealers will not put the demonstrator on the road due to their shops insurance conditions of needing a full bike licence for at least 1 year.
Other dealers are putting the bike on the road to be a demonstrator.

I asked about the riding position and how it compares to the CG125 and CBR125.

Its similar to the CG125 (upright riding position).
Its a much bigger bike than the CBR125.

They confirmed that the CBR125 riding position is far to far forward and is only for short people.

They also got the owners manual out for me and read out the servicing intervals.
Its every 2500 miles like the CG125.
That includes oil and valve clearance.

That means the valves must be the old easy to adjust sort that anyone can do not the modern dreaded shims.
Shims do not need adjusting any ware near as often as the old fashioned valve.


God, you sound loads of fun, bet you get all the girls at parties!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jammy
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:14 - 05 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been looking at a cbf125 to as a workhorse and found this test by Kevin Ash https://www.ashonbikes.com/hondacbf125 he did a proper fuel consumption test and reckons it can easy do 120mpg and more.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:54 - 05 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke27 wrote:

That means the valves must be the old easy to adjust sort that anyone can do not the modern dreaded shims.
Shims do not need adjusting any ware near as often as the old fashioned valve.


What's a shim?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
luke27 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.71 Kb