Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


More SHARP ratings released

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 31 Oct 2008    Post subject: More SHARP ratings released Reply with quote

More SHARP ratings have been released for AGV, Buell, Bell, Caberg, Duchinni, KBC, Lazer, Marushin, ROOF, Schuberth and Viper branded helmets, amazingly the Schuberth S1 got two stars, two! Crying or Very sad
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cammy mack
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:22 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a box bx2 lid. 4 stars Very Happy Very Happy
____________________
Yamaha Tdm850
Yamaha fz6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:50 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Duchinni from my insurance company that cost £20...

It got four stars...the same as my Shoei Raid II I had previously.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:16 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i expected a bit more correlation between price and star rating

it looks like there are some bargains out there, with quite a few £60 helmets getting 4 stars
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:45 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

There rating is bollocks as part of what they do is drive a big nail through the top of the helmet, most helmets aren't as strong on top to save weight as you aren't likely to land on the top of head after a smash.

Or at least thats what the Arai sales man told me Wink
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:20 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
There rating is bollocks as part of what they do is drive a big nail through the top of the helmet, most helmets aren't as strong on top to save weight as you aren't likely to land on the top of head after a smash.

Or at least thats what the Arai sales man told me Wink


And the side impact that falls on the visor mechanisms of some models in an area that wouldn't usually get impacted as you'd fall onto your shoulder first. Wink
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the sharp testing but until they release their methodology and scoring breakdown there will be too many unanswered questions.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

multijoy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:00 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
I like the idea of the sharp testing but until they release their methodology...


bing!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:34 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

multijoy wrote:
daemonoid wrote:
I like the idea of the sharp testing but until they release their methodology...


bing!


I've seen that before, I'm after a bit more detail than 'a certain height above' etc. Take a look at https://www.euroncap.com/testprocedures.aspx I'd like at least that level of detail.

Worst of all is the 'calculating the ratings section'. They offer no explanation of their calculations other than 'An objective assessment protocol has been developed'.

In all scientific tests repeatability is very important, thus i standby my original statement... without their complete methodology and scoring algorithm their tests are pretty much meaningless.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

multijoy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you asked for them? Sitting on a .gov.uk domain suggests that a well aimed foi request (assuming that a swift email doesn't work) should get that which you seek. I should imagine that'll get you the scoring details as well. I would imagine that they've taken a desicion to only go so technical on their public facing pages.

Whilst I'm all for not taking figures at face value, what will having the exact methodologies change? Even with published methodology (lord, how I hate that word!), you've still no way of knowing that each test was carried out in accordance with it. At some point you're going have to decide whether you trust the organisation carrying out the tests, and I'm curious as to why you're setting the bar so high in this instance. (I assume, of course, that you're happy with some rating systems but not this one, specifically. If that's not the case then I apologise).

Granted, the DfT is involved, which could go either way, but on the same token, running accurate benchmarking is in their best interests and unless there's evidence that a cartel of helmet manufacturers is on first name terms with the illuminati, I'd be inclined to suggest that the DfT involvment is a good thing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:06 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've not asked for them, I'd not really thought to - I'll give it a go.

I'm not really setting the bar high, I want the same level of transparency as the euroncap. The reason i would like the full methodology is that it's standard scientific practice. While I personally am unlikely to repeat the experiment, helmet manufacturers are. This will ensure they don't make 'mistakes'. I do agree that DfT involvement is a good thing in this case.

As a bit of a geek i always like to know how any conclusion is reached, euroncap make it fairly obvious, sharp don't.

All this said, I will probably use them as reference for my next helmet purchase.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked them what the tests meant, and how one could evaluate the results against existing standards.

For instance does a 1 star helmet meet the DOT standard, at what star rating does a helmet reach ACU compliance, does 5 star mean it meets Snell?

I assume they all meet the ECE standard in the first instance otherwise they wouldn't be for sale in the UK.

I didn't get an answer... yet.

I think the only people who really came out as expected are AGV with the S-4. People thought it was a "good" helmet, and sure enough it got 5 stars but the rest, who knows...? Confused
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:21 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeR wrote:

For instance does a 1 star helmet meet the DOT standard, at what star rating does a helmet reach ACU compliance, does 5 star mean it meets Snell?


SnNell and DOT both don't apply to the UK so meeting them are irrelevent provided it passes ECE.

Anything that is ECE approved is automatically approved by the ACU.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:00 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbiker0507 wrote:
I have a Duchinni from my insurance company that cost £20...

It got four stars...the same as my Shoei Raid II I had previously.



Hahahaha I got one of them when I had my crash too, I didn't pay for it though just didn't give it back when I gave my bike back.


I find it funny they rated the duchinni 4 star and my £400 (RRP £500) Arai 3 star. Technically a helmet that I got for nothing is better than one I spent £400 on.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
SnNell and DOT both don't apply to the UK so meeting them are irrelevent provided it passes ECE.

Anything that is ECE approved is automatically approved by the ACU.


Oh I understand that but I was just throwing them some "for instances".

I think the question still remains, what/how good is a 5 star helmet and if it means that a 5 star helmet is as "stiff" as a Snell helmet then would you want a one?

I realise that's a whole different discussion but I think they've undermined the ECE standard without replacing it with a superior method of analysis.
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My caberg is 5 star and I still wouldnt want to crash in it.


So many people are bothered about helmet ratings, If you hit something head on at anything over say 40mph, chances are your going to get mushed anyway.


Cheers
John
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a jolly perspective for one so young, but yeah I agree the helmet is only benefical to a point.

Which kind of brings us back to the question, how does the SHARP rating system benefit us, if at all?
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:30 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeR wrote:


I think the question still remains, what/how good is a 5 star helmet and if it means that a 5 star helmet is as "stiff" as a Snell helmet then would you want a one?



Depends on what type of crash you're planning on having a suppose. Wink

No helmet can be ideal in every situation.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wozza
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I've found my next helmet!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wozza wrote:
Well, I think I've found my next helmet!


...and it's a?
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wozza
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sgmracing.com/SGMProductos/Fotos/BUEL.jpg

Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 12 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tres Modern Wozza Thumbs Up
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wozza
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:29 - 13 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as my Nitro helmet is over 5 years old, I can't justify not getting one. Having trouble sourcing tinted visors for it though, where should I be looking?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wozza wrote:
Seeing as my Nitro helmet is over 5 years old, I can't justify not getting one. Having trouble sourcing tinted visors for it though, where should I be looking?


Google is your friend.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blackwatch_uk
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 18 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy my AGV S-4 perform very well, and at £150 I think I got a bargain. Cool
____________________
East of England Bikers - For motorcycle owners in Norfolk Suffolk Cambridgeshire and Essex
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.34 Kb