Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Insurance and CAr Hire Companies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Insurance and CAr Hire Companies Reply with quote

Hello. I was involved in an accident on August 12th 2008. It took them seven weeks to get me a hire vehicle out! The day after that, they got someone to come view my car. We agreed how much it was worth, and asked if I want to buy the car for 10% of the agreed price. I said yes. He then said the car is mine to do as I wish.

Got a call from my hire company, being advised from the third party today saying that they are coming to pick up the car because I no longer need the hire car. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The lady said that, when I sold my crashed car, on a Cat C, I then could have used that money to buy another car, and I am no longer eligible for a hire vehicle and they are not paying for the hire of the vehicle totaling £7,120. They are coming to take the car in three/four days.

Are they allowed to just do this? Just because I sold my Cat C car which was doing nothing on the driveway!?
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steve32
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i had a smash in my car about 10years or so ago i had to keep the crashed car until the insurance company got the payout from the other side and the hire car i had was mine until then and my insurance company made the other side pick up the bill for the hire car
____________________
suzuki GSX 600F katana .: ~my bike up for sale~ :.
CBT = Completed
DAS= Working on it - theory test = Passed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree give them fuck all,my mate had a brand new punto for a year put 17000 miles on it Very Happy

No money no car back what are your insurance doing ?

How did they know you sold it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree give them fuck all,my mate had a brand new punto for a year put 17000 miles on it Very Happy

No money no car back what are your insurance doing ?

How did they know you sold it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they rang to arrange a date for a independent review of the car, I told him then that I had sold it and he then told the insurance company. I can't refuse to hand over the car. They say that from tomorrow 23:59, I can't drive it.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a car, at the other party's expense, until the other party coughs up.

If they have paid you 90% and given you the car as scrap (the other 10%), they've done their bit and you can't expect any more out of them! If you haven't received the 90% yet, you can continue billing them for a hire car so get back onto the hire firm.

You need to get onto the insurer as well as they've obviously written it off and agreed a price - a cheque usually follows pretty swiftly.

If none of them are interested, I suggest ringing an accident recovery company (e.g. helphire) who will be more than happy to help you out with a car as they bill the insurance companies quite handsomely for the pleasure.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to bill them for the seven weeks without a hire car wtf is that about Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helphire is who I am currently with. I have still yet to receive anything from them, still waiting for the third party to admit liability.

They are saying because I sold the car, I have money to finance another car, and therefore, not entitled to the hire car, and as a result of this, they are refusing to pay the previous fees for hiring of the car or anymore. I have spoken to the third party insurer and that is what they have said. They are cretins, the lot of them!
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Re: Insurance and CAr Hire Companies Reply with quote

Evans wrote:
someone to come view my car. We agreed how much it was worth, and asked if I want to buy the car for 10% of the agreed price. I said yes. He then said the car is mine to do as I wish.

Got a call from my hire company, being advised from the third party today saying that they are coming to pick up the car because I no longer need the hire car. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The lady said that, when I sold my crashed car, on a Cat C, I then could have used that money to buy another car, and I am no longer eligible for a hire vehicle and they are not paying for the hire of the vehicle totaling £7,120. They are coming to take the car in three/four days.

Are they allowed to just do this? Just because I sold my Cat C car which was doing nothing on the driveway!?


Who was the guy from? Your ins or the other parties.
If the ins has paid you out for the other 90% then the claim is settled and the hire will have to go back.

I hope you did not give your card details to the hire co.... Or you could be in for a big shock when your next statement hits the floor as it could well have this 7K on it....
The hire company will take their money from whoever and let you fight it out with the ins co.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tutton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we had a crash, we demanded a hire car the next day, and one turned up.. as they were putting it off etc.
Then as soon as the cheque had cleared in bank they wanted it back...
____________________
Past: '05 Peugeot XPS '99 Aprillia RS125 '94 FZR600R
Current: '02 ZX636 A1P '51 CCM R30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring helphire. Tell them you haven't sold it, it's been written off* and you have sold the scrap only but you haven't received your payment from the insurance company yet. If you still don't have any luck, get the Yellow Pages and call a solicitor to sort everything out for you.

*I presume "the man" was from the insurance company that is paying out and that you have some proof that you bought the scrap for 10%.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 23 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my insurance company who came to view the car. The claim has not been settled, I haven't had a penny, so I am still entitled to the car, but they say I'm not. If I say to them I actually do have it, and it isn't sold, then the third parties insurance want to view it themselves.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:55 - 24 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're entitled to the hire car until the claim is settled, the only reason they sometimes refuse a hire car or withdraw it during the claim is if there's any reason to suspect the claim won't go in your favour, there's sometimes a maximum hire period they will allow too, often 3months but sometimes 6 or more.

To say you should use the money from the salvage to buy a new car is absurd, it won't buy you a similar car to what you had so you shouldn't be expected to go buying a cheap car to keep you going and then sell it and buy something better once you've had your payout. What's next, are they going to say you had savings in your savings account so should've used that to buy a car to drive in the meantime?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:19 - 24 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans wrote:
It was my insurance company who came to view the car. The claim has not been settled, I haven't had a penny, so I am still entitled to the car, but they say I'm not. If I say to them I actually do have it, and it isn't sold, then the third parties insurance want to view it themselves.


So what level of ins did you have. FC , TPFT or TP.

From what you are saying sounds like you are FC, can't see any other reason why your ins co would write the car off. As such your ins co should have sorted (paid out) everything and then argued for a settlement with the other party.
If you are TP/FT then you should not have sold the car till the other party had chance to examine it, could be they might have repaired it.
Hope you have a recipt for the car.... And the fact your ins co came out valued and wrote off the car and gave you permission to sell it....
In Writing.

Or at the very least proof of the accident or i could see the ins co thinking this is attempted fraud against them and not paying a penny.....
Look at it from their side you have no damaged car to prove anything Shocked

Something does not sound right with this tale, perhaps starting at the begining with the accident might help shed some light on waht is going on.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was TPFT.

I have the pics to prove the damage, plus the engineers report.

The maximum I am allowed to have the car is a 51 week period, it has currently been 14 weeks-ish.

The third parties insurance company (Norwich Union), won't respond to Helphire in calls or writing. They will leave them hold for 20-30 minutes at a time, then Helphire write to them, and they won't respond. Helphire advised me that they themselves will have to take the car off me because the third party is refusing to pay, and settle the claim, which means Helphire will take this to court and she advised me that if it goes to court, then there can not be use of a hire vehicle because there is no-one to pay for it.

His third party insurance are absolute idiots, and if I am fair, Helphire are not much better (seven weeks to get a car sorted!) and not even ringing the third parties insurance for six days AFTER the accident. It sounds to me like the third parties insurance are just looking for anything to get out of paying for this one. Since the day of this accident, it has been nothing but aggravation, I am fed up of it. They only write to me once every two months to 'update' me. I am so close to just telling them to forget the whole thing.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 24 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing useful to add, but I'm currently pursuing a claim against Norwich Union, and they really are shit.

I was TPO, so I'm being represented by some no win/no fee lawyers. The crash was a little over a year ago, and I've only just had the bike inspected and seen the insurance doctor for a medical report.

Currently trying to get a settlement, but we'll probably be issuing proceeding in the new year.

One method Stinkwheel came up with, if the insurance company representing the third party are being particularly shit. Work out your expenses, and issue court proceedings against the 3rd party driver, not insurance company. You claim is against them after all, just their insurance company handles it all.

You can guarantee they'll be on the phone to their insurance company screaming bloody murder within 10 minutes of the summons landing on their doormat.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 25 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to have to say it, but if I were you I wouldn't be worrying about having a hire car. I'd be a LOT more concerned about getting a cheque from the third parties insurers at all.

In essence you have refused to allow them to inspect the damaged vehicle, which appears to be the main part of the claim. In so doing, you have undermined your claim to the point where you may no longer have one.
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 25 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have valued the car at £1,350 (after them taking 10% for the car), the fees for the hire is £7,120 which takes precedence.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:00 - 25 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans wrote:
They have valued the car at £1,350 (after them taking 10% for the car), the fees for the hire is £7,120 which takes precedence.


Who has valued the car and how much did you get from it's sale?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 25 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

An insurance vehicle inspector came to review the car and he decided that it is a Cat C. When I sold it, I got £325.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 25 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans wrote:
An insurance vehicle inspector came to review the car and he decided that it is a Cat C. When I sold it, I got £325.


Let me rephrase.

Who decided the vehicle was a write iff and it's value, your insurance or the third parties?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 25 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans wrote:
It was my insurance company who came to view the car.

____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 26 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that you should have sold the car until the claim was settled. Why hasn't the claim been settled, there must be a reason for the hold-up. Has liability been established or is that the problem?
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 26 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person who came to view the car, told me it was now my car to do as I wished, so I acted on that information. The reason it is taking so long is because the third parties insurance company won't answer to Helphire and Helphire are issuing a final letter to them, advising them if they don't respond, the matter will be taken to court.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 26 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans wrote:
The person who came to view the car, told me it was now my car to do as I wished, so I acted on that information. The reason it is taking so long is because the third parties insurance company won't answer to Helphire and Helphire are issuing a final letter to them, advising them if they don't respond, the matter will be taken to court.



One of the problems you have here, is why did your ins co come and inspect the car, write it off and tell you the above.
To me, if they have said the above then THEY should be pursuing the other company as they have taken responsibility for the claim.

In reality you should have let the ins co pay for the full value (never accept the 1st offer) rather than think you could make a fast buck on selling. That way any problems would be between the 2 ins co's to sort.

As helphire are chasing the 3rd party ins co, and you have to wonder why they have not responded....
Perhaps they feel that as your ins co have done the above all is settled and your ins should be standing the car hire.

I hope you took out the £10 waiver with helphire..... Or you could be facing a very large hire bill.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 1.75 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.27 Kb