Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Dell Inspiron Laptop - Pretty much dead

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 26 Dec 2008    Post subject: Dell Inspiron Laptop - Pretty much dead Reply with quote

After some help really. The laptop I am on is practically fucked. It boots up okay, and everything functions correctly. But sometimes, The start menu is in the style of Windows 98, Instead of XP, which is its current OS.

I dont have the restore disks any more, And have just tried the ones I got with Roxannes new laptop, And it comes up saying

"This is not a Samsung System"



I think I need to reinstall windows really. Where is the best place to download Windows XP home edition. Anybody got any reliable torrents?


Its not my main PC, so no intentions of replacing the laptop, even though it is a couple of years old. Its just handy to have if I'm sat watching TV or whatever.


Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Burnside
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 26 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the laptop fairly new, ie 3yrs or less? It should have a restore facility on a hidden partition that will return it to the factory settings. Press ctrl + f12 on bootup to get into the menu. its straightforward to restore it but **it will delete everything you have ever saved, documents, IE favorites etc **

Backup as much as you can, esp website bookmarks! It will then restore the laptop back to exactly the same as it came out the factory.

If you just want to change the windows98 theme, right click on the desktop, select 'Properties' then change the theme on the first drop down menu to 'Windows XP'.
____________________
I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 26 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.


The win98 theme isnt a setting. Its just an error in the boot up. Sometimes it boots up as normal, XP style. And sometimes its all Win98, After a reboot its back to normal though.


Its just facked. Needs re-booting. It was my sisters, She's filled it with shit, Spent every day on online games, Its got about 40 different versions of Java on it, And it struggles to open BCF.


I am back on my main PC now. Just tinkering with the lappy. Would be nice to restore it back to factory settings. Dont mind loosing anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 26 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay well I hit ctrl+F12 on boot up and I got this menu...


"Use the up- and down- arrows keys to move the pointer to the desired boot device. Press [Enter] to attempt the boot or ESC to cancel.

Internal HDD
CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
Onboard NIC

BIOS Setup
Diagnostics



Tried all 5. Nothing helpful really happens. Laughing



Obviously I cant just format it because I need a disk to re-install the OS.



Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Burnside
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 26 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok it might be ctrl + f11 Smile
____________________
I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 26 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done it, Its doing something now.

Symantic recovery disk.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Burnside
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 26 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the one Thumbs Up
____________________
I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 26 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legend, Laptop is totally restored now. Its like a brand new set up. Smile

Last year I shoved another GB of RAM in it too because it was slow. So Its running 1.5GB of RAM, Over an empty 60GB HDD (Small I know), Its rapid. Cool


Thanks again!



Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fortuna
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:17 - 27 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you've sorted it but if you tell me the version I might be able to get the install discs for future use.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.39 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 60.41 Kb