Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


SV1000 vs Fazer 600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

sv1000 or Fazer 600
SV1000
74%
 74%  [ 20 ]
Fazer 600
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 27

Author Message

JonT
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: SV1000 vs Fazer 600 Reply with quote

Hey folks, I have owned an sv650 but have not ridden the 1000 nor a fazer600. I know I should go and test ride both but i'd really like it if I could get some opinions from the collective mass of knowledge that is BCF.

Criteria for comparison are (in no particular order)

    Handling

    Usable Power

    Comfort on 40 mile commute (in summer, got a car for winter)

    Quality of the bike you can get for under £3k

    Looks & credibility

    Fuel economy?

    Reliability and servicing costs


https://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/Suzuki/SV1000/2003/SV1000S_RHF_Workshop_1024.jpg

https://www.rentabike.org/images/bike_fz600_big.gif


Last edited by JonT on 17:19 - 04 Jan 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tafflade
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't ridden both of these bikes but I did test ride the SV when they first came out, if they were the only 2 choices i'd go with the SV but with £3k to spend I'd have a much bigger list of possibles and neither of these 2 would be on it tbh.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:32 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a Fazer 1000? Just curious.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonT
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost mainly flip.

Costs more to buy, and costs more to insure and I don't really need the extra power.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike have you got at the moment? Did you get rid of the 650 and why?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonT
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently without bike Sad

I had to get rid of my bike about 18 months ago to get a car for work. Now that i've saved up a bit of money I want to get back in the game.

I really liked my sv650 the two main problems I had with it were that it didn't have quite enough power and the suspension was far from confidence inspiring, I did feel like it was going to give up at some points :p.

Whatever I get next has to be an upgrade over the sv, the obvious choice is any of the main sports 600s. Yet I want to be able to go to work on the bike in summer (which is 42 miles away) in reasonable comfort. Also its hard to explain but riding a sports 600 (ZXR) felt like it was constantly tempting me to go faster which I should really avoid. I could get a sports 600 and just try and work on my self discipline a little more though Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Thom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:38 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV for me all the way, twin race cans on the thou sounds lovely Twisted Evil
____________________
Current Bike: 1996 Yamaha TRX850 (The Japanese-Ducati One).
Previous Bikes: 1990 Honda NSR125 'Rothmans' (The smoking one), 1990 Suzuki GS500e 'Caf? fighter' (The loud one), 1987 Kawasaki GPX400r (The quick one), 1997 XJ600s Diversion (The reliable one), 2000 Kawasaki ER-5 (The spontaneously combustive one)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer will tick all those boxes I reckon but you might miss the V twin grunt. Test ride. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I ride a Fazer 600, I wouldn't go for a newish 600, I have heard a lot of people complain about them. People who have traded their MK1s in for a newer version seem to regret doing so. They use a de-tuned R6 engine. I personally think the old Thundercat engine is a lot more reliable. Go with the SV, I have only heard good things about it.
____________________
Enjoy everyday, tell those you love everyday you love them
Life is too short to fall out with people
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ajb
Crazy Courier



Joined: 14 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that, for £3k, there are other bikes which would be better.
____________________
CBR125R '05 > CB500 '00 > CBR600F '99
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV1000 with race cans and WP suspension. Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hornetmike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:49 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a little go on both and all i can say as i am pretty inexperienced is the sv weighed a ton.
____________________
87 Honda CG 125 - 97 ER5 - SR 50 -81 Z250- 96 CBR 600 F- 94 GPX600R 88- GPX 400R- 87 GS 125 - 2006 Honda CB600F- 2003 ER5 - Honda CBF 1000 2009 - Honda CBR 600 RR 2011
Current BMW R1200GS 2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

miketovey wrote:
had a little go on both and all i can say as i am pretty inexperienced is the sv weighed a ton.


the sv1000 is actually a few kg lighter than the fazer

with a little more hp and almost double the torque i dont think there really is any choice between the 2


what about the honda vtr1000 firestorm
the specs arn't quite as good as the sv, but they ae sexy looking bikes
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:03 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad's got an FZ6 07 and I've been riding it daily since being back in Dubai and I've loved every minute of it. The traffic is obviously wank over here so filtering is very easy and at higher speeds it's a fairly flickable sort of thing.

Having swapped bikes with my friend whose got a 6RR 07 I instantly noticed a massive difference in power delivery, handling, body positioning etc and although it's fun to rag around, I can't see it being any fun through traffic. The power on the FZ is fairly measly low down but above 8Kish rpm it pulls fairly well.

It's not an ideal hooning tool though as he's got the completely naked model and anything above sort of 150 kmh becomes fairly painful so in that respect I'd say go for the half faired one or the SV.

Looks wise, the half faired FZ6 falls into the pillow biting category whilst the SV looks like it wants to bite your head off for the fun of it. Reliability wise, only problem I've had in the 2000 km I've covered in two weeks was the gearbox feels a bit funny and occasionally had trouble shifting down from 3rd to 2nd and 1st. And when I said trouble, I mean couldn't shift down at all but that seems to have sorted itself out now.

Only other complaint is the brakes on the FZ6 aren't as sharp as I thought they'd be so I'd of thought some braided hoses and a decent set of pads would be a good investment for it. Can't really comment on fuel economy as things like that aren't taken into account when I can fill up the tank for £3 but it handled being given a good thrashing on a daily basis very well.

So to summarise:

Plus points:
Good fun
Very comfy positioning around town
A giggle to chuck in and out of traffic at faster speeds
Naked version looks cool as penguin piss.

Negative points:
Brakes could do some with some lovin'
Gearbox...sometimes.

Hope that helps a bit mate Karma
____________________
wizzzard wrote: Imagine God just stopping by, tidying your front room up and then quietly letting himself out again. Statisticly more likely to happen than Korn being on here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.46 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 84.46 Kb