Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Change of career for a 30 something?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Grendel
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Change of career for a 30 something? Reply with quote

OK simple question. I want a change of career but not sure to what yet?
I’ve been in nursing for the past 14 years and I’m sick and tired of the crap pay and arrogance from NHS Managers. Only problem is I only have 2 A/S levels and all other qualifications are in nursing related things.
I want to move to something that pays more than £15K and is totally different from nursing. But being in my early 30’s most companies won’t go near me since I’m too old apparently? Also I can’t really take a pay cut to retrain since I still need to pay the mortgage and bills.

So any suggestions for an unqualified 30 something with excellent people skills?
____________________
Past bike: 2004 Hyosung Comet
Current bike: 1993 Honda Transalp
Transalp Page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=11418462079
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:09 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general advice is if you are looking for a career in something make sure it doesn't have one of those lock ins,

In that accountants /lawyers/surveyors / achititechs etc have to work for somebody else for 3-5 years to get the experience before they can go into the profession by themselves...

In this 3-5 year period you will be exploited and abused because employers know you need the experience time and they have you by the short and curlies...

I sold most of my 20s to folks like that , and I feel ripped off.....

The other thought it to grit your teeth and go back to night school get some more A levels (shouldn't take more than 3 months at a local place), but what value do those things have anymore anyway , bar showing potential employers that you have the discipline to self study.

But you have 14 years of experience should use this to your advantage and find something related even teniously.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:15 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you mean by 30 being too old......

I totally changed career's after 30+ years in the same job for the same firm....

Simply looked at the jobs in the papers and applied for what sounded like a good prospect.
Now after 2 1/2 years in the job i have progressed further than 30 years of my old one.
Applied for what was basically call center work, with the UK most recommended bank. Was told that the call center was not for me, but they offered me a post in a dept that has both calls and off the phone work.
Now looked on as a experienced person, who often gets referred to for advice by people who have been doing the job a lot longer than me, and placed of out of the ordinary tasks that need doing. Very Happy

Who says old (50 this year) can't get on and climb the ladder.
OK never going to make CEO, not that i would want to anyway.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mad4it028
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

now is not the time to change jobs!!
stick it out for at least the next couple of years untill things pick up again
____________________
always looking to buy bikes crashed ,unfinished projects,none runners pm me
currently riding kawasaki z1000 only bike ive ever loved
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a nursing job where you can work days only. Then do evening/weekend courses in a subject that you want to.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad4it028 wrote:
now is not the time to change jobs!!
stick it out for at least the next couple of years untill things pick up again

Yes, you must cower in fear, and spend another couple of years having your soul slowly chipped away at.

Grendel wrote:
But being in my early 30’s most companies won’t go near me since I’m too old apparently? Also I can’t really take a pay cut to retrain since I still need to pay the mortgage and bills.

So any suggestions for an unqualified 30 something with excellent people skills?


First of all, drop the whole "I'm too old" mindset. You've got 14 years of "adult" time behind you, but another 40 in front. You're not even halfway yet (I don't include time spent in the conditioning factory school).

Secondly, only you know what makes you tick. People can make suggestions, but you need to know yourself - if money was no object, what would you like to spend every waking hour of your day doing? Do you know your "bliss" - that perfect role for you? Tons of sites out there to help you find that - some are afterthoughts thrown together by recruitment agencies, others are more focussed - have a look at this one.

In reality, you're fairly lucky in that your minimum requirement is £15k. That's the starting salary for a postman, apparently. You may not have a degree, but that 14 years of experience should put you in good standing, so don't dismiss applying at companies looking for graduates.

If you're a people person, have you considered becoming a driving instructor? Average salary is £16k for the first year, £25k for established instructors, up to 30k for experienced. Just a thought.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Change of career for a 30 something? Reply with quote

Grendel wrote:
OK simple question. I want a change of career but not sure to what yet?
I’ve been in nursing for the past 14 years and I’m sick and tired of the crap pay and arrogance from NHS Managers. Only problem is I only have 2 A/S levels and all other qualifications are in nursing related things.
I want to move to something that pays more than £15K and is totally different from nursing. But being in my early 30’s most companies won’t go near me since I’m too old apparently? Also I can’t really take a pay cut to retrain since I still need to pay the mortgage and bills.

So any suggestions for an unqualified 30 something with excellent people skills?


Move to Oz, that's what I'm doing next week. Mr. Green

The NHS and politics were getting annoying in the last few years and I've been in your position too being 30 and in nursing.

You could do some online distance courses or even an OU degree to help, but no matter what you do you will have to take a pay cut of some description.

I have some vague plans for the future but we will see and probably be back in the same position as now, looking for something else.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest at your age, going for a degree will not really help you much.

You have what many employers are looking for...

Life experiance and the knowledge of work ethos.

So long as you are moving to a sound employer, the move should not be a issue. Yest times are hard at the moment, but good hard workers will always be needed. Many companies would rather loose the young, and keep the more mature workers on in times like this as they are aware that the more mature understand the needs of the buissnes a lot better.

Too many that have never worked as they have been at school and then on to Uni, have no perception of what real life work is about.
They then find that having to work hard all the time far too much.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hayes agency in Soton are desperate for people to work in Social Housing / Support Workers...the pay is pretty good, but shifts vary, and they pay for enhanced CRB check.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same position as you a few years back when I had just turned 30. I only had GCSE's and qualis in Childcare/Nursery Nursing.
The problem with my job was I hated kids. They were noisy and smelled. I had to get out.
I thought, what the fuk can I do? I am getting on and short of qualis for the big scheme.

I chanced my arm for an office job. Luckily I can type (practice on forums Wink ) I can banter on and fluff my way through stuff, I was perfect! I started as a temp and got a perm job a year later.
Turns out they like mature people who can waffle on in an office. You are good at dealing with the public!
And I like my job. I am my own boss (apart from when boss is in the office) Smile I don't go home covered in snot, and when I leave work I leave work. I am not thinking about stuff, which was my main reason for getting out of the whole kid/teaching thing.

Also, the equivalant of my job at 37 hours is £16k (I only do 25 hrs a week). That's not bad for a less stressful job.

A bad climate at the minute though. Hopefully my job is secure, but who knows.
Jobs with the elderly etc will always be needed, but that may be too close to nursing for you?

Good luck anyway.

J
____________________
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ this sort of applies to me too , in that looking over some jobs websites in that I am the total opposite sort of to the OP , ie I have a ton of qualifications and quite a lot of experience only in accountancy though. Trouble is I'm so niched ie accountant type, that I can't actually do anything outside of accountancy and I utterly loathe accountancy even more so presently makes me wonder what the hell I'll do for a job when I get back off my big trip. Crying or Very sad

Maybe the big trip won't happen now...
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you be a nurse of 14 years on a salary of £15k? Or have I read that wrong?

My friend is a nurse and his fresh out of Uni starting pay was £17k, I think he is on about £22k now... ?
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Christ this sort of applies to me too , in that looking over some jobs websites in that I am the total opposite sort of to the OP , ie I have a ton of qualifications and quite a lot of experience only in accountancy though. Trouble is I'm so niched ie accountant type, that I can't actually do anything outside of accountancy and I utterly loathe accountancy even more so presently makes me wonder what the hell I'll do for a job when I get back off my big trip. Crying or Very sad

Maybe the big trip won't happen now...


Set up your own accountancy firm Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Grendel
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:21 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Nice Guy wrote:
How can you be a nurse of 14 years on a salary of £15k? Or have I read that wrong?

My friend is a nurse and his fresh out of Uni starting pay was £17k, I think he is on about £22k now... ?


Easy i'm a clinical support worker/Phlebotomist. In other words a unqualified nurse.
I tried my nurse training but got thrown out at the end of my 2nd year due to missing the pass mark by 2%.
____________________
Past bike: 2004 Hyosung Comet
Current bike: 1993 Honda Transalp
Transalp Page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=11418462079
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mooserx
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:46 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

prison officer!!!

Quote:
Only problem is I only have 2 A/S levels


no formal qualifications are needed.

Quote:
I want to move to something that pays more than £15K and is totally different from nursing


starting wage is £17k rising in 12 monthly increments up to £27k

Quote:
So any suggestions for an unqualified 30 something with excellent people skills?


prison officer completely different from nursing, people skills needed, secure job (people will always be sent to prison), every single day is different whether it is wrestling them to the floor or supporting them when a family member passes away. regardless of what certain individuals think of police/prison officers they are good secure jobs that all that is really needed is a bit of 'life' experience and the ability to talk to people.

try this to see:

www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/careersandjobs
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Change of career for a 30 something? Reply with quote

If you can put some effort in and aren't too bad with computers, there's plenty of IT positions that pay ok.

I don't put my age on CVs and probably look mid-30s (am 29 now). Seen plenty of people in low-level IT jobs that are older than me.
I've got no qualifications bar 6 A-C GCSEs and am on a reasonable bit more than double you minimum requirements after about 8 years in the industry; I have put some work into it and am quite good with technology.

You'd probably have to start in a help desk or similar, unless you're lucky. However if you get with the right company there's often opportunities to move up through the company regardless of qualifications if you can show you know what you're doing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh G, the irony ...

I was just about to say don't even think about IT, as it's increasingly overpopulated by mouth breathers and self righteous berks with borderline mental issues who will not take no for an answer....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, suppose it depends what sector; mine and others I know view of the bit I've been involved in (smallish 'service' software houses) has generally been pretty good.
Have heard less good stuff about big corporate stuff, though does depend on the comapny; Cisco employees generally seemed quite happy with their lot, for instance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:49 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grendel wrote:


Easy i'm a clinical support worker/Phlebotomist. In other words a unqualified nurse.
I tried my nurse training but got thrown out at the end of my 2nd year due to missing the pass mark by 2%.


Ah, sorry Embarassed
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'need' to change my career too (am almost 34). Been an IT twerp for around 14 years now (current company 6 years) and I'm fed up to the back teeth and bores sh!tless with it! Sad

But, for the job I do the pay if f**king fantastic! (touch wood with all the job losses!!!).

Having a wife a nipper to look after though makes things a little harder to just give up and move on to another job! Sad

Thumbs Up
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 1.23 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 118.97 Kb