|
|
| Author |
Message |
| silky666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 silky666 Captain Rulebook

Joined: 28 Aug 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| b-f-c |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 b-f-c Traffic Copper

Joined: 06 Sep 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:48 - 19 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've had a couple of pickups in the past as daily cars.
Firstly, it will more than likely be insured as a commercial vehicle (for private use only), meaning your NCB might not count towards insurance discount. This can mean re-insuring a car at a later date might get awkward. Toll roads will charge you twice what you pay in a car. Tailgates act like brakes, I removed mine and ran with a pro-net (https://www.shadetreeonline.com/tailgate/nets.htm)
Commercials get hammered, body and engine wise. Look at the bed condition, can be rot traps if not looked after or badly covered up with ply to hide a knackered bed. Also tend to have starship mileages.
I'd had the skoda/polo pickup (https://katalog-automobilu.cz/img/skoda-felicia-pick-up-1-9-d-1.jpg). More than capable of carrying one larger bike with the tailgate down, might carry 2 smaller ones. Also, all your mates will want you to fetch and carry for them.
If I was getting another I'd go for a 2WD like a mazda / vauxhall type thing (https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1312/1044678988_bbf57d6e8f.jpg?v=0), you'll want it as low as possible for loading bikes, having that kind or weight too high up makes it prone to falling on you!
Personally, I'd now rather just have an estate car & a trailer. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| silky666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 silky666 Captain Rulebook

Joined: 28 Aug 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:07 - 19 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
This is exactly why I thought "I will post it on BCF" ... some good advice and things I hadnt thought of before .. cheers
Trouble is... I am still in a state on confusion (no real change I guess) ... but I have a couple of months before I buy it, so hopefully I will have made my mind up.
I did think of the trailer option ... but I need to buy one that folds up small enough (and easily enough) to fit in the back of the estate/car.... I will be using it to take my bikes to green lanes as well as tracks etc.
Plus, once I have bought an expensive trailer and then an estate car .. I will be hitting the cost region of a decent van I think ?
Van wise ... I am starting to look at the ones that are smaller than a transit, but bigger than the old escort vans.... something like a HiAce ???:
https://www.auto-rent.com.au/Hiace_1.jpg
Will I get 2 off roaders .. or 1 road bike in that ?
The only other thing I forgot to mention is the fact I need 3 seats in front ... in case I need to ferry the kids about.
For that the estate +trailer .. or the pickup option seems the best.
The worry is that my 3k budget is suddenly seeming a little small  ____________________ There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.
Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| michael j |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 michael j World Chat Champion
Joined: 14 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:14 - 19 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Make me an offer!
 ____________________ Ducati 996 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| silky666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 silky666 Captain Rulebook

Joined: 28 Aug 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| michael j |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 michael j World Chat Champion
Joined: 14 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:47 - 19 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
The van
The Gasser is currently being restored top its former glory. Should be ready some time next week, so if anyone's out that weekend I'll be there  ____________________ Ducati 996 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| silky666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 silky666 Captain Rulebook

Joined: 28 Aug 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:20 - 19 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| michael j |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 michael j World Chat Champion
Joined: 14 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:31 - 19 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Looking forward to it already  ____________________ Ducati 996 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| silky666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 silky666 Captain Rulebook

Joined: 28 Aug 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:25 - 19 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I may have found the perfect van ... thoughts and opinions welcome.
Toyota Hi Ace.
3 seats in front.
Not as big as a transit (I dont think)
Big enough for 2 bikes (I think)
Modern ish looks.
https://i13.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/2c/37/2240_1.JPG ____________________ There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.
Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ben350 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ben350 Trackday Trickster
Joined: 29 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:18 - 06 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Looks good.
Dont get a pick-up unless you want to go off-road to collect / drop off your bikes.
I have an old lifted Hilux which is great to look at and mess about in but rubbish to get a bike all the way up onto the bed which is approx 3 ft off the ground. Plus shopping is a pain in a single cab if you have a passenger  ____________________ Ducati 996 Biposto
Suzuki Goose 350
DT125R Supermoto (Project) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 244 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|