Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Advice on Van or Pickup

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

silky666
Captain Rulebook



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Advice on Van or Pickup Reply with quote

I have been ummmin and arrring for the past few months .. and have finally decided to buy a van or pickup to carry my off road bike about in.

Just looking for some advice and ideas really.

Here are my rough requirements.

1) It will end up being my sole transport to and from work .. and the odd shopping trip ... so I didnt want some huge long wheelbase transit type thing.
2) Needs to be able to take 2 bikes max .. and kit and some tools... but will be mainly for my bike alone.
3) also needs to be able to fit a road bike in (R6) for track days.
4) Thats about it ... I have never owned or used a van before ... so have no idea what I am looking at etc.

The usual things apply of course - reliable, cheap to fix, etc etc .... I am not bothered by comfort or air con or how fancy it looks.

oh! Price ... 3k max
____________________
There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Advice on Van or Pickup Reply with quote

I was pretty happy with my SWB transit. Low enough to fit into 'standard' low car parks, about the same length as my Laguna and pretty nippy as it was the turbo model.
Luke and Cassy slept in the back of it a fair bit when racing.

Managed to just squeeze three road bikes with all kit and some tools in.
There are narrower options available that will do the job too, but I'm not too up on them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

b-f-c
Traffic Copper



Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:48 - 19 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of pickups in the past as daily cars.

Firstly, it will more than likely be insured as a commercial vehicle (for private use only), meaning your NCB might not count towards insurance discount. This can mean re-insuring a car at a later date might get awkward. Toll roads will charge you twice what you pay in a car. Tailgates act like brakes, I removed mine and ran with a pro-net (https://www.shadetreeonline.com/tailgate/nets.htm)

Commercials get hammered, body and engine wise. Look at the bed condition, can be rot traps if not looked after or badly covered up with ply to hide a knackered bed. Also tend to have starship mileages.

I'd had the skoda/polo pickup (https://katalog-automobilu.cz/img/skoda-felicia-pick-up-1-9-d-1.jpg). More than capable of carrying one larger bike with the tailgate down, might carry 2 smaller ones. Also, all your mates will want you to fetch and carry for them.

If I was getting another I'd go for a 2WD like a mazda / vauxhall type thing (https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1312/1044678988_bbf57d6e8f.jpg?v=0), you'll want it as low as possible for loading bikes, having that kind or weight too high up makes it prone to falling on you!

Personally, I'd now rather just have an estate car & a trailer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 19 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly why I thought "I will post it on BCF" ... some good advice and things I hadnt thought of before .. cheers Thumbs Up

Trouble is... I am still in a state on confusion (no real change I guess) ... but I have a couple of months before I buy it, so hopefully I will have made my mind up.

I did think of the trailer option ... but I need to buy one that folds up small enough (and easily enough) to fit in the back of the estate/car.... I will be using it to take my bikes to green lanes as well as tracks etc.
Plus, once I have bought an expensive trailer and then an estate car .. I will be hitting the cost region of a decent van I think ?

Van wise ... I am starting to look at the ones that are smaller than a transit, but bigger than the old escort vans.... something like a HiAce ???:
https://www.auto-rent.com.au/Hiace_1.jpg

Will I get 2 off roaders .. or 1 road bike in that ?

The only other thing I forgot to mention is the fact I need 3 seats in front ... in case I need to ferry the kids about.

For that the estate +trailer .. or the pickup option seems the best.
The worry is that my 3k budget is suddenly seeming a little small Smile
____________________
There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 19 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A £3k budget should do you fine. Trying to remember what my transit cost me - was £1k or under, but it was a bit tatty, I admit.

You can get fold-up trailers, but only single bike ones as far as I know.
Could the trailer not be stored where the bikes are stored?

You can get two sports bikes in an appropriate Hi-ace (think they might come in different lengths), but I'd check the heights for off-roaders.

I'm not sure a pickup offers much over a van - they don't seem to be any better to drive, be much smaller and have the disadvantage of usually being higher and you can't just chuck other stuff in the back (tools etc) because of the weather as well as having to tie everything down properly. Usually use one strap in my van to hold an off-roader.

Transit sized vans will usually have three seats in the front, but often the smaller ones don't; and it'll be cramped if they do.

Of course, for £3k you could probably get a half decent van and a cheap run-around car for daily commute, but that'd mean more ongoing costs.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

michael j
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 19 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make me an offer!
Wink
____________________
Ducati 996
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 19 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael j wrote:
Make me an offer!
Wink


For the van or the GasGas ?
or both ? Smile
____________________
There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

michael j
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 19 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The van Rolling Eyes
The Gasser is currently being restored top its former glory. Should be ready some time next week, so if anyone's out that weekend I'll be there Thumbs Up
____________________
Ducati 996
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 19 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael j wrote:
The van Rolling Eyes
The Gasser is currently being restored top its former glory. Should be ready some time next week, so if anyone's out that weekend I'll be there Thumbs Up


I think this weekends ride is going to be a major event ... as in the first ride for a few of us for over a month .. we will be champing at the bit.

So lots of eagerness ... followed by some extremely ghey riding,, followed by over confidence ... followed by a dip in some deep puddle / fall off up chalk hill. Thumbs Up exactly what I need Thumbs Up
____________________
There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

michael j
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:31 - 19 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it already Smile
____________________
Ducati 996
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 19 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have found the perfect van ... thoughts and opinions welcome.

Toyota Hi Ace.
3 seats in front.
Not as big as a transit (I dont think)
Big enough for 2 bikes (I think)
Modern ish looks.
https://i13.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/2c/37/2240_1.JPG
____________________
There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ben350
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 06 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

Dont get a pick-up unless you want to go off-road to collect / drop off your bikes.

I have an old lifted Hilux which is great to look at and mess about in but rubbish to get a bike all the way up onto the bed which is approx 3 ft off the ground. Plus shopping is a pain in a single cab if you have a passenger Wink
____________________
Ducati 996 Biposto
Suzuki Goose 350
DT125R Supermoto (Project)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 244 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.73 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 77.36 Kb