|
|
| Author |
Message |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:44 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: Unable to keep a vehicle longer than a year... |
 |
|
I bought my Citroen C1 last May when the price of fuel was beyond ridiculous. I loved the idea of 64MPG and £35 tax, as a car to have on virtually no income this was a plus point. It's quite pokey for a 3 cylinder 998cc engine and puts out about 67BHP.
I still like it, however I am looking towards life after uni (with rose tinted lenses, I may add) and the prospect of having a half decent job and a double income with (again rose tinted lenses) my other half stepping straight into a Physio job.
I am craving at the moment a 1.6l petrol hatchback to (get this) keep for longer than a year, however I seem to not have the ability to keep any of my vehicles longer than this. I had my 106 for 3 months, my Fiesta for 9 months and i've had my current car only 9 months as well. I'm looking to buy in about October time and I find myself on the autotrader site everyday looking at possible cars. Focuses, Golfs and even really shit cars like Astra's.
It's quite strange as I managed to keep my bike for 2 years and probably would have kept it a little while longer.
Is it just me, or does anybody else try with all of their might to find a pathetically justifiable reason for a new car? My current pathetic excuses are: -
It's a 3-door.
It's slow.
It's red.
It is starting to rattle.
Luckily, there is a reason not to sell the car and it is the fact I am still paying for it until September, it does do 64MPG, which when petrol was at £1.20 a litre was good, now it's 82.9p it's just plain ridiculous. I also cannot see petrol prices being this low in a years time, so there are some issues that are stopping me at least.
Is there anybody else as stupid as me out there? ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skudd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skudd Super Spammer

Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EddyJones |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EddyJones Crazy Courier
Joined: 20 Jan 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:12 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| robby wrote: | If you keep looking at other stuff you'll end up buying one before you can afford it, then complain every time you fill it up. To be honest I'm always wondering how a student can afford such a new car in the first place, I thought you were all meant to be poor.
|
The car cost me £5400.
Of this I sold my old car for £2500. I then took an interest free loan from my parents which I will have paid back by September. I generally live quite frugally so I can afford a luxury of a car that doesn't break down. My 106 proved to be a hugh money pit when I was being quoted £1000 for a whole new throttle body and ECU unit. Though I know I could have gone to a breakers and sourced one far more cheaply, but the car was already becoming too much effort.
I'm not actually saying i'm going to buy a car right now. I can't afford to buy another, let alone run one that will cost more to run.
As for a 1.6 hatchback, this was just an example. Have been looking at Passats and Mondeo's. Although I have developed a bit of a penchant for the older Mazda 6's, they come fully loaded with extras and are quite cheap. I've always wanted a big saloon, not really a fan of hatchbacks, but am doing the youthful thing and at least looking at them. Though with being a buyers market at the moment, one cannot resist the temptation to look at bigger machines. Even if I did have the money, the thought of petrol going even higher than it did last July haunts me somewhat.
This was more of a thread about not being able to own anything longer than a period of a year. I treat cars like a lot of men treat women. Often think the grass is greener with someone else, you acquire one and it turns out it wasn't the best decision you've ever made.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Cigaro |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cigaro World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Graham88 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Graham88 World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 May 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:07 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have been driving 2 years, and had 3 cars, now about to have a 4th.
Had bikes for 3 years, probably only riding for about 1 and a half of them, and had 3 bikes.
I know where you're coming from, I also get bored easily  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:13 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
Get a car you really want. Don't get something as it will be sensible, or you will hate it and get rid of it. Throwing away several thousand pounds depreciation on some little econobox which is about as much fun as a dish washer seems to be a quick route to wanting another car.
One of the few bikes I have sold was the Divvy. Did the job, just was nothing that invoked any interest in me.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:28 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Keith, you've hit the nail on the head. I've been coming to that conclusion for some time now.
Problem is I want something that to be honest is just not achieveable, something that is fun, comfortable and won't break the bank to run. I also do not want to touch a diesel.
If I could find a car that: -
Has under 60k on the clock, preferably well below this.
Is comfortable enough to cruise at 80MPH on the M'way.
Gets on average at least 35MPG
Has loads of extras - Quite like the idea of cruise control, not sure it's too gimmicky though.
Also, I need it to look nice, not only on the outside, but also on the inside. I am a fan of brilliant interiors. Probably a Ford's main weakpoint IMO, very tacky and uninspiring.
I would be eternally happy (I think) If I could find a car with these credentials for between £3,000 and £5,000.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:26 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
At the moment the car is just for shits and giggles, and obviously transportation. Though I suspect it will become more of a commuting tool once I get a job.
Keith, the 147 is gorgeous. I'd never thought about an Alfa, for obvious reasons, but reading around suggests the 147 bucks the trends.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| binge |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 binge Emo Kiddy

Joined: 03 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:32 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Got a 1.6 Petrol Mk5 Golf. And I love it.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EddyJones |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EddyJones Crazy Courier
Joined: 20 Jan 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Villers |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Villers World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:59 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
The only car Ive kept for two years or more was a brand new 1.0 Seat Arosa that cost me 6k new and I sold it for £4200 or something. The one Ive got now is about 4 years old, I bought it for 7.5k and now its worth less than 4 only 18 months on. I also hate it.
Cars are one of them things Ive resigned myself to never being happy with. They generally lose you lots of money and let you down at the worst of times. I'm not nostalgic about cars and I no longer care if a cars 'different' or fast. A 1.6 hatchback seems like a good prospect to me, and how on earth it matters that theres lots of them around when all someone wants is a car is beyond me.  ____________________ RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| neatbik |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 neatbik World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:18 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| EddyJones wrote: | Looked at Clio Sports 172? These can average 30+MPG
Obviously fun to drive etc, the only thing that can let you down maybe the interior |
Good fun, but very unreliable, and gearboxes are a common (and expensive) problem.
Jon, you're probably going to poo poo this suggestion, but what about a Focus?
We have a tdci (yep, the dreaded d word ), but its quick-ish, comfy, does 50mpg and handles (for a 'family' car) brilliantly.
I have owned loads of different cars over the years and this one really does do it all.
I dont drive it much as i tend to use the bike, but every now and again i have to give it a good ragging as its so rewarding (just dont tell the wife ) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chrisw |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chrisw World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Apr 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:56 - 20 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| D O G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 D O G World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dischord |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dischord World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 May 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|