Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Unable to keep a vehicle longer than a year...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Unable to keep a vehicle longer than a year... Reply with quote

I bought my Citroen C1 last May when the price of fuel was beyond ridiculous. I loved the idea of 64MPG and £35 tax, as a car to have on virtually no income this was a plus point. It's quite pokey for a 3 cylinder 998cc engine and puts out about 67BHP.

I still like it, however I am looking towards life after uni (with rose tinted lenses, I may add) and the prospect of having a half decent job and a double income with (again rose tinted lenses) my other half stepping straight into a Physio job.

I am craving at the moment a 1.6l petrol hatchback to (get this) keep for longer than a year, however I seem to not have the ability to keep any of my vehicles longer than this. I had my 106 for 3 months, my Fiesta for 9 months and i've had my current car only 9 months as well. Rolling Eyes I'm looking to buy in about October time and I find myself on the autotrader site everyday looking at possible cars. Focuses, Golfs and even really shit cars like Astra's. Laughing

It's quite strange as I managed to keep my bike for 2 years and probably would have kept it a little while longer.

Is it just me, or does anybody else try with all of their might to find a pathetically justifiable reason for a new car? My current pathetic excuses are: -

It's a 3-door.
It's slow.
It's red.
It is starting to rattle. Laughing

Luckily, there is a reason not to sell the car and it is the fact I am still paying for it until September, it does do 64MPG, which when petrol was at £1.20 a litre was good, now it's 82.9p it's just plain ridiculous. I also cannot see petrol prices being this low in a years time, so there are some issues that are stopping me at least.

Is there anybody else as stupid as me out there?
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those people who buys new and then keeps hold of their vehicles for 6-7 years. Then buy new again.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EddyJones
Crazy Courier



Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:00 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a good 1.6 petrol hatchback, look at a fiesta Zetec s

Or pop onto zsoc.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've said this before, but:

Mmm, 1.6 hatchback, nice, don't see many of those around.

If you keep looking at other stuff you'll end up buying one before you can afford it, then complain every time you fill it up. To be honest I'm always wondering how a student can afford such a new car in the first place, I thought you were all meant to be poor.

I did used to change cars every 6 months or so at your age, but I was working and bought cheap cars. They tended to be a bit knackered after 6 months, so it was a decision between selling it while it was still worth reasonable money (sometimes at a profit) or keep it another year and watch it become worthless.

For the most part I wasn't dicking around with hatchbacks either, this was my large saloon phase.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
If you keep looking at other stuff you'll end up buying one before you can afford it, then complain every time you fill it up. To be honest I'm always wondering how a student can afford such a new car in the first place, I thought you were all meant to be poor.

The car cost me £5400.

Of this I sold my old car for £2500. I then took an interest free loan from my parents which I will have paid back by September. I generally live quite frugally so I can afford a luxury of a car that doesn't break down. My 106 proved to be a hugh money pit when I was being quoted £1000 for a whole new throttle body and ECU unit. Though I know I could have gone to a breakers and sourced one far more cheaply, but the car was already becoming too much effort.

I'm not actually saying i'm going to buy a car right now. I can't afford to buy another, let alone run one that will cost more to run.

As for a 1.6 hatchback, this was just an example. Have been looking at Passats and Mondeo's. Although I have developed a bit of a penchant for the older Mazda 6's, they come fully loaded with extras and are quite cheap. I've always wanted a big saloon, not really a fan of hatchbacks, but am doing the youthful thing and at least looking at them. Laughing Though with being a buyers market at the moment, one cannot resist the temptation to look at bigger machines. Even if I did have the money, the thought of petrol going even higher than it did last July haunts me somewhat.

This was more of a thread about not being able to own anything longer than a period of a year. I treat cars like a lot of men treat women. Often think the grass is greener with someone else, you acquire one and it turns out it wasn't the best decision you've ever made. Laughing
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep the Citroen. Just think how smug you'll feel in a few years when everyone's having to sell their children to put petrol in their cars.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:40 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:

This was more of a thread about not being able to own anything longer than a period of a year. I treat cars like a lot of men treat women. Often think the grass is greener with someone else, you acquire one and it turns out it wasn't the best decision you've ever made. Laughing


You haven't found the right car yet. When you do, practical things like 'fuel costs' and 'servicing costs' will cease to matter. And you'll keep it for ages.

Despite constantly owning cars since 2003, I've put a sum total of 2 through MOTs. And both of them went shortly afterwards. I saw the light last year and bought one that was both interesting and good. Previously most had ticked neither of those boxes and the only interesting one was really a bit of a shitheap.

And while I'm at it, dear lord above don't 'crave' a 1.6l petol hatchback. 'Crave' something with, well, 'something'. 1.6l petrol hatchbacks are the inoffensive mediocrity which should only ever be 'settled for'. Not 'craved'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Graham88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been driving 2 years, and had 3 cars, now about to have a 4th.

Had bikes for 3 years, probably only riding for about 1 and a half of them, and had 3 bikes.

I know where you're coming from, I also get bored easily Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Get a car you really want. Don't get something as it will be sensible, or you will hate it and get rid of it. Throwing away several thousand pounds depreciation on some little econobox which is about as much fun as a dish washer seems to be a quick route to wanting another car.

One of the few bikes I have sold was the Divvy. Did the job, just was nothing that invoked any interest in me.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, you've hit the nail on the head. I've been coming to that conclusion for some time now.

Problem is I want something that to be honest is just not achieveable, something that is fun, comfortable and won't break the bank to run. I also do not want to touch a diesel. Laughing

If I could find a car that: -

Has under 60k on the clock, preferably well below this.
Is comfortable enough to cruise at 80MPH on the M'way.
Gets on average at least 35MPG
Has loads of extras - Quite like the idea of cruise control, not sure it's too gimmicky though.
Also, I need it to look nice, not only on the outside, but also on the inside. I am a fan of brilliant interiors. Probably a Ford's main weakpoint IMO, very tacky and uninspiring.

I would be eternally happy (I think) If I could find a car with these credentials for between £3,000 and £5,000. Smile
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You should be able to easily find something for that. Alfa 147 1.6 petrol should be easy to find for that. £3k is easily enough for that any one of dozen of other cars

Not sure about toys. Personally I don't really like cruise control. When cruising on long distances the last thing I want is to lose one more thing to do.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What go you use the car for?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment the car is just for shits and giggles, and obviously transportation. Though I suspect it will become more of a commuting tool once I get a job.

Keith, the 147 is gorgeous. I'd never thought about an Alfa, for obvious reasons, but reading around suggests the 147 bucks the trends. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a 1.6 Petrol Mk5 Golf. And I love it. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Keith, the 147 is gorgeous. I'd never thought about an Alfa, for obvious reasons, but reading around suggests the 147 bucks the trends. Thumbs Up


It was just an idea. It is still a 3/5 door hatch. Handles well, goes well, decent brakes but nothing really "special".

Might be if you get another bike (or a silly car) for shits and giggles that you will find you care less about the every day car.

To me too many cars are now designed as appliances rather than something interesting.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
obviously transportation.


Duh.

I mean, are you mostly sat on motorways? Driving in town? B road blasting?

My car choice when I did 200 miles a week of motorway driving was different to when I drove round town a lot.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EddyJones
Crazy Courier



Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at Clio Sports 172? These can average 30+MPG
Obviously fun to drive etc, the only thing that can let you down maybe the interior
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only car Ive kept for two years or more was a brand new 1.0 Seat Arosa that cost me 6k new and I sold it for £4200 or something. The one Ive got now is about 4 years old, I bought it for 7.5k and now its worth less than 4 only 18 months on. I also hate it.

Cars are one of them things Ive resigned myself to never being happy with. They generally lose you lots of money and let you down at the worst of times. I'm not nostalgic about cars and I no longer care if a cars 'different' or fast. A 1.6 hatchback seems like a good prospect to me, and how on earth it matters that theres lots of them around when all someone wants is a car is beyond me. Laughing
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:18 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyJones wrote:
Looked at Clio Sports 172? These can average 30+MPG
Obviously fun to drive etc, the only thing that can let you down maybe the interior


Good fun, but very unreliable, and gearboxes are a common (and expensive) problem.

Jon, you're probably going to poo poo this suggestion, but what about a Focus?
We have a tdci (yep, the dreaded d word Laughing ), but its quick-ish, comfy, does 50mpg and handles (for a 'family' car) brilliantly.
I have owned loads of different cars over the years and this one really does do it all.
I dont drive it much as i tend to use the bike, but every now and again i have to give it a good ragging as its so rewarding (just dont tell the wife Shhh! )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisw
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villers wrote:
Cars are one of them things Ive resigned myself to never being happy with.


You are simple buying cars you think you should buy because they are sensible. I tried that a couple of times, didn't last long. Sensible cars are boring. Nothing will make a modern hatch truly interesting, most can't even manage it with a big engine.

The only way to avoid depreciation is to either buy a car and drive it into the ground, or buy something that has no value - bangernomics.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 20 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I'm one of those people who buys new and then keeps hold of their vehicles for 6-7 years. Then buy new again.


This is kinda like I do except I don't do the 'brand' new bit, as I've been lucky and have always managed to find something I love that's ex-demo with all the bells and whistles, but without the big brand new price tag! Usually 2-3k on the clock and the 'new' smell just lingering Shocked They usually push them on around change over plate time, so rarely more than 6 months old.

Thumbs Up for buying something you really love to drive. Practical-schmatical is for when you're up to eye-balls with committments and have no choice Wink
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 21 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars (certainly modern cars) are pretty dull IMO, there are none which really appeal.

They insulate you so much from the act of driving, that the driving just becomes an inconveniance which you have to conmplete whilst in your car listening to music/playing with the sat nav.

What you need is something shit.

Bangers are cool, get something for a few hundred quid with an MOT and have fun. It will have character, but yet still get you about.

How much have you lost in depreciation in your 9 months?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dischord
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 21 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda Civic VTi is a good little car but you pay the price with insurance!

160hp 1.6 vtec
good on fuel
reliable
cheap to buy

https://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4972/picture006hd4.jpg

Don't see too many of the EK type Civics about either and most tend to be the crappy 1.4s. I've gone through 5 cars in 3 years, I think some people just can't stick with cars lol
____________________
2012 KTM EXC 250

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.33 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 125.93 Kb