Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Second Bike (small cc trail bike?)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:17 - 03 Feb 2009    Post subject: Second Bike (small cc trail bike?) Reply with quote

After my insurance dropped on the xjr (£195) i've decided that i'll keep it through uni and replace it when i have the money to buy something good Very Happy

However I want a fairly cheap trail orientated second bike:

I wont be doing MX'ing
I'll be putting only a few hundred miles a year on it
Needs to still have a reasonable fuel range
Cheap to run/insure
Light weight and low cc...
I dont want something too tuned however i have an unrestricted (no bhp restriction) so hit me with anything as my insurance covers vehicles i dont own... (and this will be my dads bike and he'll be insuring it-- I'll be buying and riding it) Laughing

Budget = upto 1.5 k (would prefer cheaper than that though!)

2 stroke or 4 stroke! However i do like the smell of 2stroke Laughing

I've been considering a KTM 250, what is the maintance of these like (only doing a max of 1000km a year tho) I heard they are a lot more maintance intensive than the 200EXC (2stroke)?

Clicky
____________________
Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 04 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR350 or XT350 for mild off road stuff. They are decent enough on the road though! You won't find a bike thats loads better off road, without it being far worse and more uncomfy or un-suited to decent daily road use. It's just a compromise that you need to choose how far one way or the other that you want to go, as you don't get both from one bike IMO.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

L-Jam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:55 - 05 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are XT350's like for general road use? I've been looking to get one once my A2 is done, so similar question as JBurrows88 really.

peace
____________________
Journalist, student, egotist.
Click here if you're a young biker, wondering what to do after a moped/125!
Skp 50 --> GS 500 --> CBR600F with custom HRC paint jobby --> GSX-R 750 K7, beautiful!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:29 - 05 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XR (4 stroke 250's or 350's) are all quite good Dual sport bikes.. The XR's are built like tanks but i always thought they were a little overpriced! You have to look around to find a good cheap one that hasn't had many years of abuse.

I want something that is definatly more trail bike than road bike... My mate is planning to get something similar and that we can drive to places in his pickup. I have the XJR for day use.
____________________
Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ben350
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 06 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd get a Jap import two stroke such as one of the following;

Honda CRM250
Yamaha DT200WR or WR200
Suzuki TS200R or RMX250
Kawasaki KDX220/250

Both the KDX and the RMX come in either enduro or trail styles (indicators / rack etc).

I've owned both an mk1 CRM and a 200WR and found the Honda way more grunty but the Yamaha a lot more agile.
____________________
Ducati 996 Biposto
Suzuki Goose 350
DT125R Supermoto (Project)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 06 Feb 2009    Post subject: Re: Second Bike (small cc trail bike?) Reply with quote

What will you be using it for?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:36 - 07 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly offroad. I won't be commuting... Nor will i be doing any motorway miles on it!
____________________
Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:41 - 07 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'd probably go for a 2 stroke enduro bike.
Maitenance intervals than the 4 strokes are a fair bit better and weight is almost as low as motocross bikes... which means they should be able to keep up on motocross track too as the suspension should be pretty much up to spec, not having to handle the extra weight.

I'd go for a 250 or 300 if you haven't had much experience off-road; the 300s especially produce a flatter easier to use power delivery than the 4 strokes, but obviously can also go very, very fast if you want to, too.

Can get reasonable examples from around £1k taxed and tested.
Look out specifically for the KTM EXC 300 and Gas Gas EC 300 I'd say.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:51 - 07 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks G...


I've decided that having two bikes is so much easier than having a dual sport! Thumbs Up
____________________
Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 07 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I enjoy my offroad experience day in March (christmas present) then I think I might be in a similar boat as you... keep us updated. Thumbs Up
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 07 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will... Looks like we might be buying at the same time tho Very Happy Due to some recent expenses and the fact that i need a bow (competition grade) im going to have to put this off till March! Rolling Eyes Sad


Also depends if i get this extra busary from uni... (if i do i might be buying one in a few weeks) Laughing
____________________
Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 07 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have got some money saved up which I was going to use to finance a new bike when my restrictions runs out... but I think I might be better to insuring smaller and cheaper bikes seen as I only get to use them in the holidays.

I shall have to come over your way if I get an offroader the greenlanes are better out your way.
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 07 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definatly... I have few mates that go offroading in my area...

Im already trying to sort out a job at LBA (leeds-bradford airport) so i can save some serious money this summer, im also considering getting a job at the moment as well, just to help with the finances! Very Happy

Drinking is too expensive!!! Which uni you at?
____________________
Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 07 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still have lots of fun on cheaper bikes.
A while ago I got an 87 KTM 350 enduro for £350; road registered, but no Tax and Test. Did the job fine, but not quite as refined as the latest bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 07 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you find those bikes?

I'm not to worried about condition tbh, as long as i can keep it road legal and dont have to spend much on it im happy... Laughing

(i'll be lucky to ride it 1000miles in a year)
____________________
Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 07 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeds university so I might not far from home or you either.

I am still unsure what to do over the summer (I will be working too!) unsure whether to Le to JoG over 7 day period with the people from here... or to do Edinburgh, Belfast, Dublin, Cardiff and London all in 24 hours for charity. Don't think I could afford both (and if I get an offroad bike probably not afford to to the 7 day trip) but I know the LeJoG would be more fun, but I seen the other thing as a bit more of an achievement (especaily if I did it on a 250 Laughing).

But your right, drinking is far to expensive especially when I had to pay for my deposit for the house next year this term Neutral Been saying I am going to have a cheap week this week, yet I have managed to commit to going out friday, saturday and sunday nights Rolling Eyes bloody student life! Laughing

Bit more on topic; I think G is right you could get a cheap bike and have some great fun on it I am sure. Would be pretty good bragging rights, "I got a KTM for £350" Thumbs Up
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 07 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just scoured everywhere I could find for good deals for a few weeks until I found one that was ok.

See the sticky at the top of this section for some places to look.

I should point out this KTM wasn't exactly aesthetically pleasing or anything Smile. Can get 80s-90s KTKs quite cheaply, so it's nothing that special really, I'm afraid!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.18 Sec - Server Load: 1.04 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 96.17 Kb