|
|
| Author |
Message |
| JBurrows88 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JBurrows88 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 May 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:17 - 03 Feb 2009 Post subject: Second Bike (small cc trail bike?) |
 |
|
After my insurance dropped on the xjr (£195) i've decided that i'll keep it through uni and replace it when i have the money to buy something good
However I want a fairly cheap trail orientated second bike:
I wont be doing MX'ing
I'll be putting only a few hundred miles a year on it
Needs to still have a reasonable fuel range
Cheap to run/insure
Light weight and low cc...
I dont want something too tuned however i have an unrestricted (no bhp restriction) so hit me with anything as my insurance covers vehicles i dont own... (and this will be my dads bike and he'll be insuring it-- I'll be buying and riding it)
Budget = upto 1.5 k (would prefer cheaper than that though!)
2 stroke or 4 stroke! However i do like the smell of 2stroke
I've been considering a KTM 250, what is the maintance of these like (only doing a max of 1000km a year tho) I heard they are a lot more maintance intensive than the 200EXC (2stroke)?
Clicky ____________________ Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| L-Jam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 L-Jam World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jan 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:55 - 05 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
What are XT350's like for general road use? I've been looking to get one once my A2 is done, so similar question as JBurrows88 really.
peace ____________________ Journalist, student, egotist.
Click here if you're a young biker, wondering what to do after a moped/125!
Skp 50 --> GS 500 --> CBR600F with custom HRC paint jobby --> GSX-R 750 K7, beautiful! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JBurrows88 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JBurrows88 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 May 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ben350 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ben350 Trackday Trickster
Joined: 29 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JBurrows88 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JBurrows88 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 May 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JBurrows88 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JBurrows88 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 May 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:51 - 07 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks G...
I've decided that having two bikes is so much easier than having a dual sport!  ____________________ Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Charlie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Charlie World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 May 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:55 - 07 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
If I enjoy my offroad experience day in March (christmas present) then I think I might be in a similar boat as you... keep us updated.  ____________________ Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JBurrows88 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JBurrows88 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 May 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:07 - 07 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I will... Looks like we might be buying at the same time tho Due to some recent expenses and the fact that i need a bow (competition grade) im going to have to put this off till March!
Also depends if i get this extra busary from uni... (if i do i might be buying one in a few weeks)  ____________________ Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Charlie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Charlie World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 May 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JBurrows88 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JBurrows88 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 May 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:19 - 07 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Definatly... I have few mates that go offroading in my area...
Im already trying to sort out a job at LBA (leeds-bradford airport) so i can save some serious money this summer, im also considering getting a job at the moment as well, just to help with the finances!
Drinking is too expensive!!! Which uni you at? ____________________ Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JBurrows88 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JBurrows88 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 May 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:31 - 07 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Where do you find those bikes?
I'm not to worried about condition tbh, as long as i can keep it road legal and dont have to spend much on it im happy...
(i'll be lucky to ride it 1000miles in a year) ____________________ Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Charlie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Charlie World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 May 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:34 - 07 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Leeds university so I might not far from home or you either.
I am still unsure what to do over the summer (I will be working too!) unsure whether to Le to JoG over 7 day period with the people from here... or to do Edinburgh, Belfast, Dublin, Cardiff and London all in 24 hours for charity. Don't think I could afford both (and if I get an offroad bike probably not afford to to the 7 day trip) but I know the LeJoG would be more fun, but I seen the other thing as a bit more of an achievement (especaily if I did it on a 250 ).
But your right, drinking is far to expensive especially when I had to pay for my deposit for the house next year this term Been saying I am going to have a cheap week this week, yet I have managed to commit to going out friday, saturday and sunday nights bloody student life!
Bit more on topic; I think G is right you could get a cheap bike and have some great fun on it I am sure. Would be pretty good bragging rights, "I got a KTM for £350"  ____________________ Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:44 - 07 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I just scoured everywhere I could find for good deals for a few weeks until I found one that was ok.
See the sticky at the top of this section for some places to look.
I should point out this KTM wasn't exactly aesthetically pleasing or anything . Can get 80s-90s KTKs quite cheaply, so it's nothing that special really, I'm afraid! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|