Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New members... were you made to feel welcome?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

How have you been treated as a new member... have people been friendly towards you?
Yes, everyone has been friendly
66%
 66%  [ 34 ]
Yes, apart from a few members
19%
 19%  [ 10 ]
Moderately, some members have been friendly, some not so
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
No, only a few members have been friendly
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
No, no one has been friendly
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 51

Author Message

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: New members... were you made to feel welcome? Reply with quote

So... new members....
How have you been treated?

Have people spurned your 'newbie' questions?
Or have people behaved in a friendly manner and helped you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you going to ask the ones that didn't stick around?

Rolling Eyes
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Im sure they will vote before leaving, anway, we dont care about the opinions of people who have left as they have no effect on the forums, we want to know how the n00bies who are sticking around feel. Razz.

Luke
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the number of new members, there's problem some around that /won't/ stick around, but will have joined recently Smile.

I think the issue was more that people were leaving after a month or so of occasional posting.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I joined the forum, I posted a topic introducing myself and also being honest about being new to bikes. Loads of people replied welcoming me which was cool and I'm learning lots just through logging on everyday and browsing through the posts. A couple of people have annoyed me with their attitude and comments on here, but other than that everyone seems friendly, welcoming and happy to help with any questions. Thumbs Up

As a newbie of any site it takes time to fit in, get to know people and get as much out of it as you'd like. You just have to stick around and give it time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hush
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly wasn't spurned...

To be honest, I think its like anywhere, people get protective if you come in an don't try to get on with people. No body likes being a memeber of a forum for someone to come in on their first post saying Hey I'm a memeber of this forum, its about the same thing as yours but better...

I can't recall my first post, but I do remember thinking that I liked the response, and that the board was nice.

I can't say people have said 'well done, you've made it and been accepted', but then I figured the increasing green dots as good as say that. The people here really do seem to be the kind of crowd where people are not examined to decided whether to be accepted, everyone seems to be very much, if you get on with us, you're one of us... RESISTANCE IS FUTILE (sorry had to lighten the mood).

I like this forum, and I think the majority of people here are great. It is just like starting a new job, you make friends as you go along.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

priller
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v found everybody friendly but I'd already been riding for around 3 years before I joined so dont consider my self a newbie.

Been reading the forum since it on a nsr forum ( when korn still had a nsr ) but never go around to joining.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sash
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still getting the feel fo this forum and dont tend to post alot, just spend my lunch hour reading whats going on, 'getting to know folk' and only chipping in when I feel the need to add my two cents - which I've noticed has a tendency to kill some topics Embarassed Very Happy - *note to self "find more items of interest!

I like this forum, much better than some I've been on and agree with karen that everyone seems friendly.
____________________
Traded in Gsxr 400 for VFR400. Need artistic inspiration!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really say that people haven't been good to me (am I still classed as a newbie?) but I did get the feeling that maybe some of the questions that I asked might have been a bit 'simple' for some of the more experienced riders on here. And I probably have been a bit wary of meeting up with people as I haven't been riding very long so have wanted to get some milage under my belt before going out with people who are a lot more experienced and faster than I am.

There have been a couple of times where I'd got some short sharp sarcastic replies to posts that I actually wanted help on, but nothing malicious. But that didn't make me feel like I fitted in, just that I needed more time.

However... I wouldn't let anything like that stop me from posting on the forum. If people decided that they didn't like me just for what they've read in my posts and threads without actually meeting me, then I'd not give them the time of day!

I'm looking forward to actually meeting people on here, it's just time, work and (at the minute) being in the country to be able to do it!!! Cool Laughing

I might be able to get to Cadwell for the track day on the 11th, if anyone here minds a noob turning up and taking the pi.. er, I mean having a look. Wink

Besides, I wouldn't want to not come on here. You have Keith, who is the all time God of bike repair and knowledge! Very Happy
____________________
Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP Sad
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeyC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ I agree Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I feel really bad now I've stirred this up! Embarassed
I didn't want to cause any bad feeling! Just to check that I wasn't intruding on a club that didn't really want any new members!
Now I've found that the majority of you are lovely folk who've made me more than welcome I feel a lot happier about things, and I've put a post on the excursions forum coz I'm hoping to meet some of you at the MotoGP at Donington in July!
Cheers,
Cath
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

priller
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sv_cath wrote:
Oh I feel really bad now I've stirred this up! Embarassed
I didn't want to cause any bad feeling! Just to check that I wasn't intruding on a club that didn't really want any new members!



If new members weren't welcome it would be the sort of club where you need to meet them before your allowed to join.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Craig_
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they were nasty, ignored me, and were very mean, especially that G bloke, and that Stew guy!

Very Happy

When i joined all was fine, but i must admit things have changed slightly.
____________________
VAG Cars - www.vagcars.co.uk - North East VAG Owners Club
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daveiw
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just joined, seems ok so far....... Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hush
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cath, don't feel bad, I think these discussions were coming along anyway. All forums go through these kind of changes where new and old collide... A level will be found and some people will move on, and some more people will arrive... It all levels out in the end.

Okay philosophy 101 is out for now...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

atom
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must resist, Must resist posting....I think everyones been very helpfull, I read your forum for a month or so before I registered, to suss stuff out, help when buying its also very entertaining. Now, can you make it go away, I can't stop reading it/ posting. Or maybe change the layout to look like Autocad or something, it would be a great help. Actually just move it and don't tell me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hush wrote:
I can't recall my first post, but I do remember thinking that I liked the response, and that the board was nice.


Here you go Wink

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=23815&highlight=

We were all new on here once. I wandered along just before it moved from the old board, just in time for the Renault 5 Turbo thread. First person from here that I met was Annabella. Now met plenty and hope to meet more.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
First person from here that I met was Annabella. Now met plenty and hope to meet more.

Keith



... and Keith the first I met... oh what a bond! Laughing

I remember that night well, in the special on my way back from Orchestra, and my Dad ringing every two minutes to make sure I wasn't dead/kidnapped!
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I felt like a circus freak when I truned up at Stew and Ms that night, all be it I was about 2 hours late, you all stood around like I was something you had never seen before (well you hadn't) although I've never had anyone be nasty (apart from when I left my keys in my goose at elvington and someone moved the bike but it was all fun!!. That's the best way to describe it, everyone just wants a laugh, I mean look at Gav!

James
____________________
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:51 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimboJ wrote:
LOL I felt like a circus freak when I truned up at Stew and Ms that night, all be it I was about 2 hours late, you all stood around like I was something you had never seen before


They were just shocked that you had managed to find Stew and Ms, as just about nobody else had managed to.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sv_cath wrote:
Oh I feel really bad now I've stirred this up! Embarassed

Don't worry, it was more the various posts about 'elitism' that made me post them... that and general boredom Smile.

Would be interested to hear from those that don't feel like they've not been treated so well.
What kind of posts was it that you found unfriendly etc, without pointing fingers, well not at me at least Razz.

(Though don't expect sympathy if you've claimed your 125cc stock road bike does 130mph Smile )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

People were not sh1tty when I first joined, but some did ignore me, my posts got 2-3 answers, but I never actually introduced myself, I just jumped in asking newbie questions!!

Most people still won't have a clue who I am! So that's prob my fault!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

awj72
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only signed up initially for a quick question about my theory test, was astounded by the speed & amount of replies Surprised Surprised sticking around, as learning a lot from the long-timers here cheers guys Laughing Thumbs Up Laughing Thumbs Up
____________________
Woe to you, o earth & sea, for the devil sends the beast with wrath............
(my ebay clearout...... https://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZawj72QQhtZ-1 )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:57 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not always that people are actually ignoring you... just that they've got a limited time to reply to posts and there's a whole load of different posts to reply to now-a-days. Especially with easy to ignore sections like new bikers and The workshop Neutral.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

silent
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have fel;t welcome....and i aiunt even introduced myself...must do that some time!

Andy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 136.42 Kb