Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Nerve Healing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

bikerg
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 21 Feb 2009    Post subject: Nerve Healing Reply with quote

Hello guys and gals,

It's been 8 months since my accident last year
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=135297&start=100 (accident 80.) which left me with several injuries.

After my shoulder blade had healed, I was free to use my right arm, but it refused to work. It turns out that I have lost use of some of the muscles around my shoulder and upper arm.

I had surgery to clean scar tissue away from my Brachial Plexus nerve 2 months ago but have not yet seen results.

Has anyone had this type of injury repaired before?
Should I be looking for some sort of one armed vehicle for the future?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 21 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your injuries are worse than mine but I have had nerve damage in a lot of places and especially the back of my neck, I used a tens machine and its stimualted them. Weird. Worked though my muscles are working there now and no more tingling pins and needles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ish765
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 21 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps physiotherapy would help. The body can recover (to some extent) with even very serious muscle damage (if exercised correctly). I would look for a good physio or a local Tai chi class.

I am actually a member of an international tai chi club. It’s a non profit organisation and all instructors are volunteers (i.e., I’m not trying to sell you something). If you wish to, pm me and I can send you details and we can see if there are classes close to you. If not, be sure to look for a class that is aimed at health not fighting.
____________________
RXS100 On the Road.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikerg
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 21 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can't move my muscles at all. I try, and can only lift my arm to about waist height.
If thought about using a tens machine, but I'm not sure if it will help to heal deep nerves.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ish765
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 21 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikerg wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't move my muscles at all. I try, and can only lift my arm to about waist height.


Thats a start. If you can lift it you must have some muscles working.
____________________
RXS100 On the Road.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 22 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a similar condition to you, But in my left ankle/foot.

Although mine wasn't caused through an accident. I just developed it when I was around 14 years old.

The nerves are so badly perished, That there is VERY little strength, and virtually no movement in my left foot. I can tip toe, But cant stand up onto my heel. if that makes sense. I've got strength in one direct, But not the other.

Did years of physio, Lots of treatment, Hospital even considered surgery at one point.


I'm 21 now, And still nothing has gotten better. I have just managed to over come it by doing things differently.
Changing gears on a bike was my biggest worry. But I manage.


By the sounds of it, You have a reasonable amount of movement and strength there if you can lift your arm to waist height.

Keep at it while the nerves are still there, They will (should) re-form.

Ideally you need to keep that arm active, Lack of movement will cause the muscles to waste making it even harder to recover.



Keep us updated mind.


Good luck.





Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jack_zxr400
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:42 - 22 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

nasty injury to have

as said, i think slowly stimulating and increasivly trying to improve the movement, mobility and strength of the nerves through various exercises and techniques would be the best option Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikerg
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 22 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

My physio has taken a step back from my injuries, it seems to be joint damage limitation while my neurosurgeon jumps in with the scalpel.
I've already lost all the muscle mass on the front and back sides of my shoulder, so the risk of dislocation is very high.

I'm hoping it will return enough so that I can reach the bars again!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ish765
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:03 - 22 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikerg wrote:

I'm hoping it will return enough so that I can reach the bars again!
Nice attitude.

Different practices have different ideas about what can help.

In my experience gentle exercise is likely to be better than adapting things to avoid using it. But perhaps a bit of both is good.

One person I know had his whole lymphatic system removed from his right shoulder. This involved removing most of the mussel from his entire shoulder. He had not much left but bone, but was able to regain substantial use of his arm.

Again it is a matter of keeping the area working to encourage circulating for healing to take place. Forceful exercise will likely damage it more so be careful.

I don’t want to scare you but ill tell you something than happened to someone I know.

She went for an operation on her knee to scrape her kneecap. (Supposedly a standard procedure) It went badly and when she came out they told her they could not put them back. This was bad but she still should have been able to recover ok. However her physiotherapist got her to work her self to hard and she tore both tendons in her legs. She is now confined to a wheel chare. The tendons can’t grow back after they have been severed.

So these things take time and care. Thumbs Up
____________________
RXS100 On the Road.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:03 - 22 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mate, welcome to my world, except its my left arm. Its hard isnt it, have you lost full use? or partial like me?
If you wanna talk to someone who knows how its like then get my msn via PM and we can have a chat, its been 8 months since my crash and i've got an operation on my nerves in 2 days (this tuesday).
Keep you chin up, an you'll be back in the sadle soon, its mind over matter as well as physical healing. Thumbs Up Wink
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikerg
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 22 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, good luck with the OP! I've got full use of my hand and elbow - but lost forward, backward and outward movement.
I've also got a numb patch of skin on the outside of my upper arm.
The worst part is that the guy who caused this is still out driving around Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 22 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikerg wrote:
Oh, good luck with the OP! I've got full use of my hand and elbow - but lost forward, backward and outward movement.
I've also got a numb patch of skin on the outside of my upper arm.
The worst part is that the guy who caused this is still out driving around Mad

Hmm, Thats alot worse than my current condition, i've got that range of movement, my problem is i cant hold my arm upright, i can get it there just not maintain it, physio an training at home has helped alot.
Anno mate it must be gettin to you now, i suffered cabin fever days after gettin home from hospital and i was bed bound due to leg injuries to. Mine was caused by me panicing though, it must be hard at the hands of another driver.
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

After an accident I had very poor muscles in my hip and found that using the electronic excerices pads (some tens machines do this some dont) I used a salon for it. IT helped get enough strength back to do the excercise the physio- wanted. before I tried this I could not event attempt them.

So its worth a try. I still have numb patches and its not 100% but loads better.
Regards
Charlotte
Edit - Link fixed
____________________
Help fight the safety camera partnerships Twisted Evil -- www.pepipoo.com


Last edited by Mrs Kickstart on 16:03 - 23 Feb 2009; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Kickstart wrote:
Hi

After an accident I had very poor muscles in my hip and found that using the electronic excerices pads (some tens machines do this some dont) I used a salon for it. IT helped get enough strength back to do the excercise the physio- wanted. before I tried this I could not event attempt them.

So its worth a try. I still have numb patches and its not 100% but loads better.
Regards
Charlotte

Hmmm, thsi is interesting, maybe i should get some shock help too after my op, the link doesnt work but i get the idea, i need to get the strength in my arm back for my job.
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have fixed the link - its not a recommendation of that brand just an idea of what it was.

My problem is that the physio would say lie on the floor, and lift your leg up. However I could not move it at all. The exercide pads made it so I could lift it enough to actually do the physio.

I know it sounds a bit of mad idea but I was prepared to try most things and there are no down sides that I know of. (I can vouch for it being ok with metal work.

Regards
Charlotte
____________________
Help fight the safety camera partnerships Twisted Evil -- www.pepipoo.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikerg
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea at all! I spoke to my physio after I found out about the nerve damage and suggested that I might be able to use EMS to reduce the rate at which my muscles wasted.

He dismissed the idea quite quickly, and now my muscles have wasted to almost nothing.

I'm not sure if it will be safe to use near a damaged nerve, they are difficult enough to repair as it is. But once I have the all clear to start proper physio, EMS seems like a great way to start and complement recovery.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I must admit the doctor and physio did not think it would be any use, but in my case, also agreed to would do no harm other than to my pocket.

see what they say I doubt it would casue damage to the nerves unless you went a bit bonkers with it

Regards
C
____________________
Help fight the safety camera partnerships Twisted Evil -- www.pepipoo.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ish765
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not use it.

There is a system in the body called Fascia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascia .. In short a net of tissue for communication throughout the whole body. This is the system that controls the body’s materials at a cellular level. It is this system which “Creates an environment for tissue repair”. This travels between the mussels. The problem is if something is not being used it will change the structure of the mussel. It no longer needs to function as one. Avoiding the use of an injured area also restricts circulation for the nutrients it needs to heal.

If we were sure that electric helped I think doctors would advise it. I dispute we have any real idea of the full effect.

The healing process of the body is an area (I would say) where it's best not to experiment without a full understanding.

I do know that purely building mussel is not necessarily good for circulation. I would rather encourage the body’s natural healing process by gently increasing the range of motion you have. This is done with both stretching and contracting in order to help the mussel/ tendons to there more original (and helpful) elastic state.

I don’t think electric (as a healing tool) takes into consideration these complex systems and how they work together to heal.

Just sounds too much like quick, easy fix.

Hope you get better anyway
____________________
RXS100 On the Road.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The999Kid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:13 - 27 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to break it to you but your not gonna see much more in the way of results for quite a long while yet.

Nerve cells dont regenerate, those and heart muscle cells are the only cells in the body not able to fix themselves. You just have to wait for the nerve cells to decay and new ones to grow in their place... which unfortunately takes a very long time... think of it as relearning how to walk without using your legs for half the journey.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
____________________
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:48 - 28 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvectusIncurro wrote:
Sorry to break it to you but your not gonna see much more in the way of results for quite a long while yet.

Nerve cells dont regenerate, those and heart muscle cells are the only cells in the body not able to fix themselves. You just have to wait for the nerve cells to decay and new ones to grow in their place... which unfortunately takes a very long time... think of it as relearning how to walk without using your legs for half the journey.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Lol i'd love to hear you tell the surgeons that worked on me wednesday that little bit of crap. Thumbs Up Laughing
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:19 - 28 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had treatment on the nerves and tendons in my injured foot and ankle called the Guanadithine block, but it is a procedure they do in hospital under general anaesthetic, my treatment was every 4 weeks for a year.

It did bring back some use of nerves, although 10 years later I do still have areas which do not 'feel' - which isn't totally a bad thing.

I also had treatment with the osteo with a type of tens machine, which basically electrocuted the nerves from the outside.

I still use a tens machine these days...it does help a bit. But they have not healed properly.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:22 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think you get full feeling, i think its more of a muscle base reaction you want and need.
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 119.46 Kb