|
|
| Author |
Message |
| bikerg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikerg Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:09 - 21 Feb 2009 Post subject: Nerve Healing |
 |
|
Hello guys and gals,
It's been 8 months since my accident last year
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=135297&start=100 (accident 80.) which left me with several injuries.
After my shoulder blade had healed, I was free to use my right arm, but it refused to work. It turns out that I have lost use of some of the muscles around my shoulder and upper arm.
I had surgery to clean scar tissue away from my Brachial Plexus nerve 2 months ago but have not yet seen results.
Has anyone had this type of injury repaired before?
Should I be looking for some sort of one armed vehicle for the future? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dragonfly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dragonfly Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ish765 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ish765 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikerg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikerg Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ish765 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ish765 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| binge |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 binge Emo Kiddy

Joined: 03 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:12 - 22 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've got a similar condition to you, But in my left ankle/foot.
Although mine wasn't caused through an accident. I just developed it when I was around 14 years old.
The nerves are so badly perished, That there is VERY little strength, and virtually no movement in my left foot. I can tip toe, But cant stand up onto my heel. if that makes sense. I've got strength in one direct, But not the other.
Did years of physio, Lots of treatment, Hospital even considered surgery at one point.
I'm 21 now, And still nothing has gotten better. I have just managed to over come it by doing things differently.
Changing gears on a bike was my biggest worry. But I manage.
By the sounds of it, You have a reasonable amount of movement and strength there if you can lift your arm to waist height.
Keep at it while the nerves are still there, They will (should) re-form.
Ideally you need to keep that arm active, Lack of movement will cause the muscles to waste making it even harder to recover.
Keep us updated mind.
Good luck.
Ben |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jack_zxr400 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jack_zxr400 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:42 - 22 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
nasty injury to have
as said, i think slowly stimulating and increasivly trying to improve the movement, mobility and strength of the nerves through various exercises and techniques would be the best option  ____________________ Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikerg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikerg Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ish765 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ish765 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TUG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TUG World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:03 - 22 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hey mate, welcome to my world, except its my left arm. Its hard isnt it, have you lost full use? or partial like me?
If you wanna talk to someone who knows how its like then get my msn via PM and we can have a chat, its been 8 months since my crash and i've got an operation on my nerves in 2 days (this tuesday).
Keep you chin up, an you'll be back in the sadle soon, its mind over matter as well as physical healing.  ____________________ Haz ER-5, innit! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikerg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikerg Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:03 - 22 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh, good luck with the OP! I've got full use of my hand and elbow - but lost forward, backward and outward movement.
I've also got a numb patch of skin on the outside of my upper arm.
The worst part is that the guy who caused this is still out driving around  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TUG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TUG World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:18 - 22 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| bikerg wrote: | Oh, good luck with the OP! I've got full use of my hand and elbow - but lost forward, backward and outward movement.
I've also got a numb patch of skin on the outside of my upper arm.
The worst part is that the guy who caused this is still out driving around  |
Hmm, Thats alot worse than my current condition, i've got that range of movement, my problem is i cant hold my arm upright, i can get it there just not maintain it, physio an training at home has helped alot.
Anno mate it must be gettin to you now, i suffered cabin fever days after gettin home from hospital and i was bed bound due to leg injuries to. Mine was caused by me panicing though, it must be hard at the hands of another driver. ____________________ Haz ER-5, innit! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mrs Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mrs Kickstart Brolly Dolly
Joined: 06 Apr 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:37 - 23 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
After an accident I had very poor muscles in my hip and found that using the electronic excerices pads (some tens machines do this some dont) I used a salon for it. IT helped get enough strength back to do the excercise the physio- wanted. before I tried this I could not event attempt them.
So its worth a try. I still have numb patches and its not 100% but loads better.
Regards
Charlotte
Edit - Link fixed ____________________ Help fight the safety camera partnerships -- www.pepipoo.com
Last edited by Mrs Kickstart on 16:03 - 23 Feb 2009; edited 2 times in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TUG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TUG World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:45 - 23 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Mrs Kickstart wrote: | Hi
After an accident I had very poor muscles in my hip and found that using the electronic excerices pads (some tens machines do this some dont) I used a salon for it. IT helped get enough strength back to do the excercise the physio- wanted. before I tried this I could not event attempt them.
So its worth a try. I still have numb patches and its not 100% but loads better.
Regards
Charlotte |
Hmmm, thsi is interesting, maybe i should get some shock help too after my op, the link doesnt work but i get the idea, i need to get the strength in my arm back for my job. ____________________ Haz ER-5, innit! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mrs Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mrs Kickstart Brolly Dolly
Joined: 06 Apr 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:09 - 23 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
I have fixed the link - its not a recommendation of that brand just an idea of what it was.
My problem is that the physio would say lie on the floor, and lift your leg up. However I could not move it at all. The exercide pads made it so I could lift it enough to actually do the physio.
I know it sounds a bit of mad idea but I was prepared to try most things and there are no down sides that I know of. (I can vouch for it being ok with metal work.
Regards
Charlotte ____________________ Help fight the safety camera partnerships -- www.pepipoo.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikerg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikerg Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mrs Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mrs Kickstart Brolly Dolly
Joined: 06 Apr 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:04 - 23 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
I must admit the doctor and physio did not think it would be any use, but in my case, also agreed to would do no harm other than to my pocket.
see what they say I doubt it would casue damage to the nerves unless you went a bit bonkers with it
Regards
C ____________________ Help fight the safety camera partnerships -- www.pepipoo.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ish765 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ish765 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:57 - 23 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would not use it.
There is a system in the body called Fascia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascia .. In short a net of tissue for communication throughout the whole body. This is the system that controls the body’s materials at a cellular level. It is this system which “Creates an environment for tissue repair”. This travels between the mussels. The problem is if something is not being used it will change the structure of the mussel. It no longer needs to function as one. Avoiding the use of an injured area also restricts circulation for the nutrients it needs to heal.
If we were sure that electric helped I think doctors would advise it. I dispute we have any real idea of the full effect.
The healing process of the body is an area (I would say) where it's best not to experiment without a full understanding.
I do know that purely building mussel is not necessarily good for circulation. I would rather encourage the body’s natural healing process by gently increasing the range of motion you have. This is done with both stretching and contracting in order to help the mussel/ tendons to there more original (and helpful) elastic state.
I don’t think electric (as a healing tool) takes into consideration these complex systems and how they work together to heal.
Just sounds too much like quick, easy fix.
Hope you get better anyway ____________________ RXS100 On the Road. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The999Kid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The999Kid World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TUG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TUG World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TUG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TUG World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|