Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Perrys Peugeout in Portsmouth!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 26 Feb 2009    Post subject: Perrys Peugeout in Portsmouth!! Reply with quote

I took my van to Perrys Peugeot in Portsmouth back in mid December for an MOT as I was looking to sell the van due to a new purchase.

They done the MOT and called me up a bit later saying bad news its failed!

They then quoted me around £1850 to fix the van and for it to pass MOT!!

Obviously I was distraught as the van only cost me £2000 a year before and was effectively written off.

I left the van on the road until the tax ran out then its been clogging up my drive since... all this time I've been desperate to sell the van as it's £2k sat around being un-used, with the added risk of it being stolen as it wasn't insured...

I did consider fixing it myself, ordered some of the parts but they didn't turn up and I still haven't got my money back Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I decided FUCK IT get it into the garage so it went to my neighbours garage today for MOT and to carry out all the work at a more reasonable cost (perrys over-quoted big time and the new garage done a prelim quote of around £600 using pattern parts)

I've just had a phone call.

Perrys price - £1850
Their price - £45.21


I am fucking LIVID!

Perrys quoted for £700 + labour for a cat convertor, of which mines passed a smoke test no problem!!!

They quoted £350 + labour for front wishbones due to excessive play... I have now been told that there is a bit of play but its by no means excessive and won't fail an MOT!

Same for the rear wishbones.

ALL it needed to pass was a rear brake light. It's got a few advisories but nothing other than general wear and tear and ALL within limits to pass an MOT!

I don't understand where Perrys got their £1850 from and can only think they believe I'm a fool or something! Imagine if I paid for the work to be done??

Anyone know where I stand now? I am planning on complaining. I doubt I'll get anything out of it but if they do this to me then what about other people? what if they do it to an old lady who needs her car and has no choice but to pay up??

Should I just go into the garage or should I do it all via writing to their head office?

It's worth noting that it failing has meant its been sat uninsured on my drive for 3 months risking theft, it now has no tax, whereas when I wanted to sell it it was stil taxed and insured and would have been easier to sell and ive had to park my new car on a public road Sad
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 26 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letter to the local paper, as little old ladies tend not to frequent internet forums.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:48 - 26 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Letter to the local paper, as little old ladies tend not to frequent internet forums.


Not doing anything until I've sent my complaint through and heard back.. will see what they say. Reason for posting here was more to vent as I'm slightly pissed off.. I know not many people here are from Portsmouth or have cars/vans Smile

Also, dont use www.buypartsby.co.uk they have ripped me off for £50.44 they are a complete joke. Phoning them is a nightmare, they won't reply to my e-mails and are ignoring Paypal proceedings!! I have not received any parts nor a refund and they don't give a shit about resolving the issues!
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MonkeyKnuckle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 26 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Thumbs Up


I'll make sure I steer well clear of them in the future. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 26 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moral of the story is:

Main dealer = main stealer, especially if you didn't buy the vehicle from them.

Good independants : Generally have ingenuity and good customer service. Its the only way they stay afloat.

He says after booking the Mrs's Peugeot into Marshalls Peugeot for an MOT! (to be fair they have always been good because we bought the car from there...).
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 26 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh,local garage is the way to go,after dealing with Ford i would never use a main dealer ever again.Got myself a good local tyre bloke and more importantly auto electrician who sorts out any engine management problems real cheap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 26 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye my car is very much due a service, but I don't know any decent independent garages in Coventry. Sad
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 26 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
TMain dealer = main stealer, especially if you didn't buy the vehicle from them.


Not always.

I used to use the local Yamaha dealer in Stoke for any work I needed doing, never had any problems, their prices were always cheap and they'd clean and polish my bike after a service.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 26 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Aye my car is very much due a service, but I don't know any decent independent garages in Coventry. Sad


You bothered about service history?

If not, you should be able to buy a service kit from pug/citreon/toyota for not to much money and do it yourself. Or just go to Halfrauds and buy air filter, old filter, spark plugs etc all seperate.

Pick up a haynes manual (about £20, but i couldn't live without mine now, its soooooo handy) and it will tell you exactly how to do the service and also what you need to do/what parts you need.
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:48 - 27 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
Remember your neighbour may be doing you a favour by overlooking some stuff he deems not important to help you out and get the van through its MOT.


Nah I told him specifically that it needs a proper MOT as the van is for sale and I don't want any come back.

It was MOT'ed by the owner of the garage (my neighbour works there, doesn't own it) and the MOT'er was not aware of the previous MOT as we wanted to make sure he checked everything properly as per any other MOT (he's only just opened up too so trust me he wouldn't risk his licence for me!)
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:41 - 27 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this rule: NEVER have any work done by the MOTing garage. Make this clear to the garage who MOTs your vehicle. Explain that you'll be correcting defects yourself. This way, they have no reason to fail things are perfectly good.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.86 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 77.76 Kb