Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What would you do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

If a car driver waved at you...what would you do?
Wave back
53%
 53%  [ 22 ]
Ignore them
36%
 36%  [ 15 ]
Give them the finger
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 41

Author Message

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: What would you do? Reply with quote

Hi,

I was in Perth yesterday with my girlfriend and on the way home she decided that she was going to wave at all the motorbikes on the way home to see if any of them waved back.....

There must have been in excess of 25 bikes and not one waved back. Needless to say she was upset by this!!!

So - if a car driver waved at you what would you do? (after all he could be a biker).

Mark
____________________
Past: Honda NSR125R >> Kawasaki ER-5a2 >> Kawasaki ZZR-600e1 >> Suzuki GSXR-750Y >> Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm
"Chickity China the Chinese Chicken..."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Did the bikes even notice her? They may well have been paying attention to what the /drivers/ of cars are doing as well as the rest of the road.

I have got nods from bikes when I've waved in my car... but only do so if I've got bikes on a trailer, so it's fairly obvious I'm a biker Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, I'd be too busy watching out for car drivers trying to kill me before I'd be looking to see if they're waving!
And also, I'd probably assume they were either waving at someone else so would ignore them or think they were warning me of an impending speed trap or something, so would slow down.
I sound a right anti-social old bat, don't I?! LOL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave back? Personally I like to keep all of my limbs where they should be, because that is the best way to control the bike. If someone waves I usually nod or grin (if they are close enough to see).

I'm not surprised that none of them waved though! Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

secret option #4:-

wonder "who the hell was that??!" and be paranoid about coppers up ahead . . .

surely waves and nods etc are all about 'hey, I'm on a bike, you're on a bike - 'cool' 'brother' '. . .
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably wave back at them if I noticed. I think you'd have to actually have your arm out the window and wave for one of them to actually notice you though. I can't say I ever look into car windows as they're driving by. I get little kids waving to me aswell. I wave back to them too.
____________________
Honda NSR125R -> Suzuki GSXR400R GK76a -> Kawasaki ZX636 B1H -> Honda CBR400RR NC29 -> Nothing Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:00 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wave at little children, cos they seem to get an immense amount of pleasure out of it.

If a grown up waved at me, I'd assume they were telling me something was wrong. Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
I'll wave at little children, cos they seem to get an immense amount of pleasure out of it.

If a grown up waved at me, I'd assume they were telling me something was wrong. Confused


Ditto. Thats if I even noticed that someone in an oncoming car was waving at me.
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wouldn't wave back really.

Sometimes if a kids waving I would but I felt really guilty after yesterday as some little kid at a petrol station was watching me get back on my bike and kept waving and I just ignored him Laughing I now feel guilty and sorry little kid for not waving, I will do next time.

But I wouldn't wave to a car, the only time I expect to be waved at by a car is if theres a) a problem or b) they are warning me of a speed trap/accident/police up ahead or waving to say it's safe to overtake.

I almost always stick my hand out when over-taking to say thank you (unless I'm at warp speed and too busy holding on) sometimes you look at prat though as I've stuck my arm out to wave after overtaking at speed, then your arm goes flying backwards from the wind force and you end up looking stupid Laughing
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it was probably because they didn't notice her waving. You would've thought at least 1 of them would!

Same here - I get loads of kids up my way waving at the bike - the love it when you wave back Thumbs Up

Mark
____________________
Past: Honda NSR125R >> Kawasaki ER-5a2 >> Kawasaki ZZR-600e1 >> Suzuki GSXR-750Y >> Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm
"Chickity China the Chinese Chicken..."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sash
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wave a kids to, whether they are in a car or at the side of road.

But I'd think there was/I'd done something wrong if a 'grown up' did the same. Thats assuming I'd notice them as I never look into cars unless they've done something to p!ss me off!

Went pillion yesterday, had to stop myself waving at other bikes, maybe I should start a trend, not that intend being pillion again for a while Rolling Eyes
____________________
Traded in Gsxr 400 for VFR400. Need artistic inspiration!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a couple on a tourer and the pillion waved at me the other week as she was warning me about a scamera van further up the road.

I thought that was really nice as I'd started to wind the throttle back too Shocked

But then, I was on my bike, whether they would do the same to the car drivers, I don't know.
____________________
Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP Sad
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

uglymonkey wrote:
secret option #4:-

wonder "who the hell was that??!" and be paranoid about coppers up ahead . . .


I've had that before, usually from cars flashing though not waving. So I've slowed right down and looked out for speedtraps, most of the time there's nothing there. I think half the time they are trying to tell me my lights are on, no really. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien




Joined: 25 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
yesterday as some little kid at a petrol station was watching me get back on my bike and kept waving and I just ignored him Laughing I now feel guilty and sorry little kid for not waving, I will do next time.


For those few minutes you were a god among men to that kid. Alas you didnt wave and crushed the poor kids love for bikes in an instant.

YOU BAD MAN!

Razz
____________________
02 Firestorm.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Key Walshe
Nova Slayer



Joined: 08 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same as most above - if a person in a car that I don't recognise waves I'd presume it was because of something further up the road, wether it be an accident or a speed trap so I'd slow down and wouldn't wave, maybe nod or give the thumbs up Thumbs Up if there's time to try to say 'thank you' to them for letting me know.

And most of the time I can't see into cars coming towards me due to the slight tinting or coating many of them have these days as it reflects the light sunlight making it hard to make things out in cars - not that I'm looking anyways, as I'm looking ahead. But if I can I'll always wave to a kid who waves to me as I go past, wether they're at the side of the road or in the back of a vehicle as I remember when I was a kid and would do this and it would make my journey most of the time so I like to think they feel the same.
____________________
My Bike pics - https://www.bikepics.com/members/cagivamito2001
Current Bikes: Aprilia Rs250 (1998) Cagiva Mito Evo2 (2001) Suzuki RGV250 race bike & a Senior TKM100 race kart
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Rs125 Harada Identikit (2001) Aprilia Rs50 Harada (2000) Aprilia Rs50 Rossi (1999)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Bikesafe London course on Friday.... me, 9 others & 6 motorcyclist traffic cops. Very interesting and well worth the £35!

Anyway this topic came up and the view of the Met is to wave back...they even suggest of you are stuck by someone then have a little chat to prove that bikers are not all aggressive, mean and horrible!
____________________
Using a mobile phone while driving a car should be made a capital offence!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin



Joined: 01 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always smile / wave / wheelie for the little kids in cars, they go nuts over it and if it causes one of them to get into biking in the future - wahay, all the better Clapping
____________________
3516 Miles, 11 Countries
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

<nauseatingly sweet story>

When me and G and Ste did the xmas present run last year, there were loads of people out to watch and wave. There was a little girl (about 4 or 5 years old) sticking her hand out to everyone looking for a high five, and all the grumpy christian bikers (for it was a christian biker run) were ignoring her and just riding past. So I slowed down and managed to give her hand a slap as I went past - never seen a kid look so happy. Very Happy

</nauseatingly sweet story>

There was a little kid in my old street who's poor mother had to physically drag him past my bike in the mornings, cos he would refuse to move until I'd ridden off. Apparently he liked the CBR better than the CB cos this one's yellow. Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Awww so sweet, I always get kids gawping at my bike outside sainsburies, the mums always come back about 30 secs later to drag them away Very Happy.

Luke
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

silent
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

not all christian are muppets....i am one and would probably try and give the kid a high five...but im nice Razz

As for responding to those who wave i will nod if i see em and the wave isnt frantic like a warning wave.

However most of the kids find it funny to throw stones at my head moree than waving.... one day ill chase the little blighters and give em a hiding!

Andy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

priller
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even notice if somebody in a car waved, I'm to busy thinking about what I'm doing to look at them.

If I did happen to notice I'd just think there was a camera ahead.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only wave that would work from a car driver to a biker would be a thumbs up out the window. Thumbs Up
____________________
Honda NSR125R -> Suzuki GSXR400R GK76a -> Kawasaki ZX636 B1H -> Honda CBR400RR NC29 -> Nothing Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yesterday as some little kid at a petrol station was watching me get back on my bike and kept waving and I just ignored him



Hehehehe. Laughing

Yer some lil uns were watching me as i was waiting at a junction. I was thinking whatta da hell u looking at. I was paranoid, and stupid becasue i should have know that kids would think that bikes are cool! thus stare. . . Next time i think ill give thumbs up and lash open the throttle! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ant
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
I'll wave at little children, cos they seem to get an immense amount of pleasure out of it.

If a grown up waved at me, I'd assume they were telling me something was wrong. Confused


Yeah same as, alough if it was a nice looking gal then i'd probly wave, but i'm just a perv Laughing
____________________
04 ZX10R ~
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I will wave to kids, as they seem to appreciate it. If a car is coming the other way then it is quite easy for the reflection of the sun on the windscreen of the car to make it virtually opaque.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.18 Sec - Server Load: 1.85 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 136.36 Kb