Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Sharing my joy (And asking questions!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

menz83
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:29 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Sharing my joy (And asking questions!) Reply with quote

Its been 10 years since I last rode a bike. I was 16 and on the road with a death trap Kawasaki AR50. After a year, life changed, couldnt afford it and forgot all about it. It was a shame as I enjoyed biking after having a few years off-road experience on a stripped down Kawasaki KE100 in my early teens.

Anyways, I just decided the other week that I want to get a bike again as I was sick fed up of getting the bus! So after raiding the joint savings account Twisted Evil I popped down to my local Honda dealer and bought a new Honda CBF125. On Friday I done my CBT and on Saturday I was on the road.

It has been a strange experience being back on the road again. I have little confidence in myself at the moment and wonder where all that fearless teenage confidence has gone! I remember not giving a shit when I was 16, throwing my old AR flat out into any bend (40mph!). Now I am braking at the smallest of bends and fear leaning in too much in case I end up sideways on the road!

Confidence is slowly building and boy am I enjoying it! Ive done 160 miles since Saturday and have been mixing my experiences from rush hour traffic to faster B roads. It was brilliant cutting through traffic yesterday, much to every car users annoyance and I did a 70 mile round trip out to the misus work today to go out for tea. Particularly today was just so much fun. I felt a bit more confident about my bike and my abilities and was taking corners with ease at 50mph. Twisty turns were just a Joy and there were plenty of them on the trip! Perhaps its just a novelty just now, but I just want to be out on the road all the time! My imagination is going wild too, thinking ahead about going for my full licence and getting a bigger bike but I do know not to rush into things and get plenty of experience first!

One thing I have noticed is the lack of respect car drivers show bikers. Doing 30 in a 30 zone, some arse soon got fed up waiting behind me and overtook with oncoming traffic forcing me to hug the kerb. There have also been plenty drivers pulling out of junctions without bothering to look for me. Its an annoyance that I know I will need to be aware of in the future!

A bit of a long pointless rant, but I do have some questions I would like answered:

1. I am running my bike in at the moment. At first, I was keeping speeds around 40-45 but after about 80 miles I have picked it up to 50. Would this be ok with the bikes claimed 70mph limit? There is no rev counter so keeping the bike below a certain RPM is impossible!

2. The manual states a 300 mile run in is required. Beyond that 300 miles, is it ok to thrash it or should I be building things up gradually?

3. First service is due after 600 miles. Is this services a bit cheaper than the usual 2500 mile service or is it the full whack each time?

4. any other suggestions or tips that I really should know?

Cheers for your time folks and I look forward to any responses!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:47 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Sharing my joy (And asking questions!) Reply with quote

Don't let them push you into the gutter, ride to the right of centre of the road as if you are in the driving seat of a car.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

menz83
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:56 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me I tried but it was either move to the left or shave some paint and get a face full of tarmac! I did nicely give him the middle finger in return though!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:17 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think oh 300 miles, right lets thrash it.

Just do what you think, beging to ease up the speedo and im sure you won't want to be bombing round like a lunatic, you sound sensible.

Make sure you have warmed the engine a bit before going fast aswell.

Most of all, enjoy it, and soon you will be expert at going round corners! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

menz83
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:47 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Sharing my joy (And asking questions!) Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
ride to the right of centre of the road as if you are in the driving seat of a car.


On my CBT, my instructor told me to stay left of centre. When I first done my CBT 10 years ago, im positive I was told right of centre! Which side would most consider correct?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:53 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Sharing my joy (And asking questions!) Reply with quote

I ride to the right for two reasons

First, my default escape route is between the lanes of traffic if it all goes pair shaped, this partly because I lane split at the slightest opportunity

Secondly, it dominates the lane and makes it more difficult for a vehicle to 'squeeze' alongside and try to force me into the gutter

It should also be noted I tend to ride a little aggressively and tend to not give 4 wheeled vehicles any quarter
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

scream aim fire
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:41 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the rs it was 50mph, guessing it will be the same for yours
____________________
CBT PASSED 18/01/09 THEORY PASSED 14/04/09 DAS PASSED 17/04/09 3 minors wet test.
Bikes: 2009 Aprilia RS125 (PX'D) - A1P ZX6R - Stolen -Triumph Daytona 600 -wrote off via BMW
Current bike: P7F ZX6R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:28 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my cbt i was told left of centre but I tend to mostly ride to the right.. I like to see oncoming traffic (oncoming drivers about to turn right dont always notice you behind cars!), so I can slip past incase in case I cant brake in time (It has saved my bacon a on a few memorable occasions too), to instantly zip past a driver as they take a left turn or when potentially about to filter.. another reason to ride on the right is to take racing lines on oncoming left hander Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Really you should be using all of the lane..moving to make yourself more visible to drivers who cant potentially see you.. like on oncoming junctions where if you was on the left, a driver coming towards you to take a right hand turn infront of you might not notice you.. If you was on the right he would have seen you earlier.. Its almost happened to me and @ 30mph it wouldve been a painful ass over heels.. You are meant to be on the right when taking a left hand bend too. increases your view..


And on the subject of riding agressively, Ive just started to learn to drive but I have this thing towards car drivers.. Im sure my instructor thinks im an arrogant cnut on the road.. well I guess I am a bit.. Mr. Green
____________________
04' DT125RE (run-a-bout) // 89' DT125R (rebuilt + supermoto conversion)
SPARES FOR SALE. 2RK TZR // 82 DR125 // DT125R/E .... PM ME...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:21 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

No advice here just congrats on getting back on the bike Very Happy
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:50 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, pay no heed to drivers who act like twats. Many seem to expect bikes to just be fast and out of the way... but I like having a clean licence and am not going to speed just so you get to work 3 seconds sooner.

Regarding positioning, have as much space around you as possible. If there's parked cars and nothing coming the other way, near the centre. If there is something coming the other way, move away from the centre. Side road on the left? Move to the centre to be seen (and also in case they over shoot the line).

And cagers? A lifelong rider told me to always ride as if the guy in front is out to get you, and the guy behind is his brother. Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Asharin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:58 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
A lifelong rider told me to always ride as if the guy in front is out to get you, and the guy behind is his brother. Thumbs Up

When I did my CBT the instuctor just told me to 'assume everyone else on the road is a moron, and you'll be alright' seemed like sound advice, and I still follow it now.
____________________
I can't sing: https://laughinginpurgatory.bandcamp.com and https://soundcloud.com/laughing-in-purgatory
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.
2008 Honda Dullsville 700
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper



Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:26 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its never a good idea to thrash it if you can, fair enough if you are on a 60mph road then do so, but no need to thrash it up to say 40 in a 40zone... Take it how you want it and when it feels right to thrash it thrash it I guess.
____________________
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

menz83
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses folks, its much appreciated. The advice I have been given by everyone is treat all drivers like they are out to kill you and you should be fine. I have taken that advice on board and I have been trying to be aware of all dangers that come in front of me (or behind!).

When I said thrash it, I didnt mean constantly go about like a lunatic, I was thinking about when I first picked up my bike. I was doing 40 in a 60 zone. I was going up a hill with a strong wind against me. Obviously the bike just didnt have the power so I was slowing down to around 30. There was a line of traffic behind me so I was going dangerously slow. As I was running the bike in, I couldnt just drop down to 3rd, rev the arse off it then work up the gears. I had to drop to 4th, slowly pick up the revs, back into 5th, slow down again, back into 4th etc..... In this situation, it would have been handy to 'thrash the arse off the bike'!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting back on a bike Smile

As well as not thrashing it, don't let the engine labour either - as you've found, you will have to work the gearbox more than usual in the early days, but a little inconvenience now will add to the longevity of the bike.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of bikers, I can see some nobhead took no delay to introduce you properly by driving like you weren't there.

You'll get used to that and adjust your riding accordingly Thumbs Up
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Legsy.
Nova Slayer



Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, I did the same as you, went out and bought a pre-registered Honda Varadero and what I did was take it easy up until the first service, and then start riding it properly. Never had any problems with that.

With regards the cost of the first service, It got done for free for me by the dealership, I'm certain if you read your warranty book the first service is complimentary!

Good luck mate!

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jack_zxr400
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on being back on a bike Smile

enjoy it and keep safe Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 2.06 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 99.08 Kb