|
|
| Author |
Message |
| menz83 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 menz83 Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 06 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:29 - 18 Mar 2009 Post subject: Sharing my joy (And asking questions!) |
 |
|
Its been 10 years since I last rode a bike. I was 16 and on the road with a death trap Kawasaki AR50. After a year, life changed, couldnt afford it and forgot all about it. It was a shame as I enjoyed biking after having a few years off-road experience on a stripped down Kawasaki KE100 in my early teens.
Anyways, I just decided the other week that I want to get a bike again as I was sick fed up of getting the bus! So after raiding the joint savings account I popped down to my local Honda dealer and bought a new Honda CBF125. On Friday I done my CBT and on Saturday I was on the road.
It has been a strange experience being back on the road again. I have little confidence in myself at the moment and wonder where all that fearless teenage confidence has gone! I remember not giving a shit when I was 16, throwing my old AR flat out into any bend (40mph!). Now I am braking at the smallest of bends and fear leaning in too much in case I end up sideways on the road!
Confidence is slowly building and boy am I enjoying it! Ive done 160 miles since Saturday and have been mixing my experiences from rush hour traffic to faster B roads. It was brilliant cutting through traffic yesterday, much to every car users annoyance and I did a 70 mile round trip out to the misus work today to go out for tea. Particularly today was just so much fun. I felt a bit more confident about my bike and my abilities and was taking corners with ease at 50mph. Twisty turns were just a Joy and there were plenty of them on the trip! Perhaps its just a novelty just now, but I just want to be out on the road all the time! My imagination is going wild too, thinking ahead about going for my full licence and getting a bigger bike but I do know not to rush into things and get plenty of experience first!
One thing I have noticed is the lack of respect car drivers show bikers. Doing 30 in a 30 zone, some arse soon got fed up waiting behind me and overtook with oncoming traffic forcing me to hug the kerb. There have also been plenty drivers pulling out of junctions without bothering to look for me. Its an annoyance that I know I will need to be aware of in the future!
A bit of a long pointless rant, but I do have some questions I would like answered:
1. I am running my bike in at the moment. At first, I was keeping speeds around 40-45 but after about 80 miles I have picked it up to 50. Would this be ok with the bikes claimed 70mph limit? There is no rev counter so keeping the bike below a certain RPM is impossible!
2. The manual states a 300 mile run in is required. Beyond that 300 miles, is it ok to thrash it or should I be building things up gradually?
3. First service is due after 600 miles. Is this services a bit cheaper than the usual 2500 mile service or is it the full whack each time?
4. any other suggestions or tips that I really should know?
Cheers for your time folks and I look forward to any responses! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kal |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kal World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Jan 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| menz83 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 menz83 Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 06 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Artist |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Artist Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 02:17 - 18 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Don't think oh 300 miles, right lets thrash it.
Just do what you think, beging to ease up the speedo and im sure you won't want to be bombing round like a lunatic, you sound sensible.
Make sure you have warmed the engine a bit before going fast aswell.
Most of all, enjoy it, and soon you will be expert at going round corners!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| menz83 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 menz83 Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 06 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kal |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kal World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Jan 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scream aim fire |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scream aim fire Scooby Slapper

Joined: 10 Feb 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| element |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 element World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 05:28 - 18 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
on my cbt i was told left of centre but I tend to mostly ride to the right.. I like to see oncoming traffic (oncoming drivers about to turn right dont always notice you behind cars!), so I can slip past incase in case I cant brake in time (It has saved my bacon a on a few memorable occasions too), to instantly zip past a driver as they take a left turn or when potentially about to filter.. another reason to ride on the right is to take racing lines on oncoming left hander
Really you should be using all of the lane..moving to make yourself more visible to drivers who cant potentially see you.. like on oncoming junctions where if you was on the left, a driver coming towards you to take a right hand turn infront of you might not notice you.. If you was on the right he would have seen you earlier.. Its almost happened to me and @ 30mph it wouldve been a painful ass over heels.. You are meant to be on the right when taking a left hand bend too. increases your view..
And on the subject of riding agressively, Ive just started to learn to drive but I have this thing towards car drivers.. Im sure my instructor thinks im an arrogant cnut on the road.. well I guess I am a bit..  ____________________ 04' DT125RE (run-a-bout) // 89' DT125R (rebuilt + supermoto conversion)
SPARES FOR SALE. 2RK TZR // 82 DR125 // DT125R/E .... PM ME... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DEN MONKEY |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DEN MONKEY World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 07:21 - 18 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
No advice here just congrats on getting back on the bike  ____________________ meh |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| metalangel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 metalangel World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Feb 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 08:50 - 18 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yeah, pay no heed to drivers who act like twats. Many seem to expect bikes to just be fast and out of the way... but I like having a clean licence and am not going to speed just so you get to work 3 seconds sooner.
Regarding positioning, have as much space around you as possible. If there's parked cars and nothing coming the other way, near the centre. If there is something coming the other way, move away from the centre. Side road on the left? Move to the centre to be seen (and also in case they over shoot the line).
And cagers? A lifelong rider told me to always ride as if the guy in front is out to get you, and the guy behind is his brother.  ____________________ Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Asharin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Asharin World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Oct 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TimNorwich |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TimNorwich Traffic Copper

Joined: 07 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| menz83 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 menz83 Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 06 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:12 - 18 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for your responses folks, its much appreciated. The advice I have been given by everyone is treat all drivers like they are out to kill you and you should be fine. I have taken that advice on board and I have been trying to be aware of all dangers that come in front of me (or behind!).
When I said thrash it, I didnt mean constantly go about like a lunatic, I was thinking about when I first picked up my bike. I was doing 40 in a 60 zone. I was going up a hill with a strong wind against me. Obviously the bike just didnt have the power so I was slowing down to around 30. There was a line of traffic behind me so I was going dangerously slow. As I was running the bike in, I couldnt just drop down to 3rd, rev the arse off it then work up the gears. I had to drop to 4th, slowly pick up the revs, back into 5th, slow down again, back into 4th etc..... In this situation, it would have been handy to 'thrash the arse off the bike'! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:26 - 18 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Congrats on getting back on a bike
As well as not thrashing it, don't let the engine labour either - as you've found, you will have to work the gearbox more than usual in the early days, but a little inconvenience now will add to the longevity of the bike. ____________________ Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Moonie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Moonie World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Feb 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:33 - 18 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Welcome to the world of bikers, I can see some nobhead took no delay to introduce you properly by driving like you weren't there.
You'll get used to that and adjust your riding accordingly  ____________________ Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Legsy. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Legsy. Nova Slayer

Joined: 23 Dec 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:17 - 18 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi mate, I did the same as you, went out and bought a pre-registered Honda Varadero and what I did was take it easy up until the first service, and then start riding it properly. Never had any problems with that.
With regards the cost of the first service, It got done for free for me by the dealership, I'm certain if you read your warranty book the first service is complimentary!
Good luck mate!
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jack_zxr400 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jack_zxr400 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:41 - 18 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
congrats on being back on a bike
enjoy it and keep safe  ____________________ Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|