Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Street Triple

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Street Triple Reply with quote

So, yesterday my Speed Triple went in for it's 12000 mile service and I got a Street Triple as a loan bike. That was a very interesting ride!

I've never ridden such a, mechanically, smooth bike. Everything about it just felt right, the clutch, throttle, gear change were all as smooth as silk. It felt weighted just right and handled like a dream, the lighter engine/frame really made a difference in it's ability to manouver through gaps in traffic with ease!! If anyone is in the market for a 600 fun/fast bike I can highly recommend a test ride on one, I don't think many people would be unimpressed!

The downsides for me were that after the 1050 engine the 675 felt very revvy and lacking in the grunt that I love about the Speed (no suprises there) but someone coming from something like an R6 would appreciate that I guess. Also the brakes didn't have the stopping power I'm used to on the Speed. It was only the standard Street rather than the Street R so perhaps that would be a little better?

All in all, I'd say if you get the chance, try one! I can only compare it to the old Speed Four but a million times better! Not that the old Four was a bad bike, but this just feels so much nicer!

[edit] It's also just as happy as the Speed to lift its front wheel up Laughing Thumbs Up
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wonder how well the engineering and realiability on new Triumphs compare to Japanese stuff?
____________________
**WAS FITTED "WRONG WAY ROUND" !** CANT ACCOUNT FOR THE STUPID !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about the brand new stuff but I've had Speed Triples for a while now 2x 1050's and 1 x 955i and not really had any more issues than I did with Jap bikes (Honda and Yammy).

I use my bike on a daily basis all year round doing well over 1000 miles a month so I think that is a pretty good test or their reliability! Thumbs Up
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been fighting the urge to try a street triple, because i just know i'll want one, and i cant afford it...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the reviews are good.

Although I'm thinking of a Tiger 1050 next...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Street Triple Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
So, yesterday my Speed Triple went in for it's 12000 mile service


How much did that cost then?

Valve clearances done at that mileage I'm guessing?
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatnck2 wrote:
I've been fighting the urge to try a street triple, because i just know i'll want one, and i cant afford it...


I know, said all along that the street triple would be perfect with some better fully ajustable suspension and then they brought out the R version.

Think im going to wait till i graduate (~2 years) and pick one up second hand, reckon it will be the next bike though Thumbs Up

And yea, def not going to test ride on anytime soon as being a student doesnt leave much spare money!
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't got a lot of experience on jappers, but I just like the elegange of a Triumph. I will probably go through all the recommended Japs after my TT dies and then come back and buy the naked triumph of the day. Might try get a test ride on a Street/Speed when my restriction is gone. Just hope everyone else sticks to Yamasakonda's though so I will feel special.
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Street Triple Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

How much did that cost then?


I'm trying to put that out of my mind..... Didn't happen blah blah blah...

Kris wrote:
Valve clearances done at that mileage I'm guessing?


Yes they were, but annoyingly (or luckily) they were all within tolerance... If I'm playing for it I want them adjusted! haha!
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if they need adjusting its costs even more! The service price just includes inspecting them, not adjusting them.
So you got off lightly! Mr. Green

I did my 12k service myself not so long ago, it wasnt really that hard or time consuming really, although i was quite lucky again that all mine were in tolerence. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky sod, just thrown 400 quid at my SP1 and all I got was a and GS500 to play with. I think the engine braking alone on the SP1 gives more stopping power than this GS has Neutral

Still, shite bikes are surprisingly good fun in their own way at least Thumbs Up
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Street Triple Reply with quote

Rob wrote:


I'm trying to put that out of my mind..... Didn't happen blah blah blah...


Go on, genuinely interested as looking at getting a Triumph soon. I live near a Triumph dealer so would actually be helpful...
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Street Triple Reply with quote

Kris wrote:


Go on, genuinely interested as looking at getting a Triumph soon. I live near a Triumph dealer so would actually be helpful...


Sigh.... £572.40.

That did include a new set of pads front and back though.. I was lazy and got them to do it, actually didn't add any more labour time (5 hours Rolling Eyes ) just the parts.
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine cost me £300. (Speed Triple 1050)
Although, it was at a local garage and they didnt do the coolant, brake fluid, brake pads or check the rear hub AT ALL.
Useless cocks. Middle Finger

So done all that myself barring the brake fluid which should be done this Sunday.
TBH I think I`ll do my own servicing from now on. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 18 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Street Triple Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
Sigh.... £572.40.

That did include a new set of pads front and back though.. I was lazy and got them to do it, actually didn't add any more labour time (5 hours Rolling Eyes ) just the parts.


Ouch. That sounds overpriced by a good £100. Which dealer was that?
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 19 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Street Triple Reply with quote

I was qouted "About 500 quid" for my S4's 12k mile service Evil or Very Mad It's due in about 300 miles.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 19 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Street Triple Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:

Ouch. That sounds overpriced by a good £100. Which dealer was that?


That did include new pads front and back and a new rad cap! Would have been about £70 odd less for the basic service.
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.83 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 96.58 Kb