Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Regaining grip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 03 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Regaining grip Reply with quote

After my oh too close encounter with the tarmac I was wondering what is the best way to regain your grip, rear tyre, if it starts on a bit of a slide?

I hit some diesel whilst on a bend and the back end swung out, I know I didn't hit the brakes but apart from that I honestly don't know what I did to save the bike. I just remembered everything seemed to slow down a little (was only going 35 - 40mph) and the back end felt like it was going to swing all the way round when all of a sudden the rear gripped again and the bike stood up, fish tailed and then back to normal, apart from the 200bpm heart rate!

I feel I've come off lucky as reading articles in magazines etc if the back tyre suddenly grips again you can end up high-siding which wouldn't have been nice at all! But I would like some advise on what I should do next time I'm in a skid / slide.
____________________
Too skint to buy a bike Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the power applied. That should help the tyre to regain its grip a bit easier than if you shut off the throttle - that will highside you.
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

priller
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Keep the power applied. That should help the tyre to regain its grip a bit easier than if you shut off the throttle - that will highside you.


Dont think I'd fancy that on diesel.

If it slides or spins coming out of a corner just keep the throttle in the same position.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in doubt...................... GAS it
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

priller wrote:
If it slides or spins coming out of a corner just keep the throttle in the same position.


Thats what I mean. If I meant give it extra then I would of said so.
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
If in doubt...................... GAS it

Erm, dunno about giving it more throttle Confused.

On the road you can often get away with chopping the throttle and it will regain grip quicker. However the problem is that at some times, especially if you're going for it, it will regain grip, but with the wheel spinning much slower, which can easily throw you off the other side ('high side'). Therefore it's best to just keep the throttle constant and ride it out.

A significant proportion of rear end slides are saved. As the bike turns quicker because the rear is sliding it naturally helps correct the slide and stop it sliding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.66 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 49.77 Kb