Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Quit smoking cold turkey, it's killing me

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:32 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Quit smoking cold turkey, it's killing me Reply with quote

I've quit smoking cold turkey twice before, both times for about 6 months before I started again.

Obviously being unemployed I knew it was going to become uneconomical to continue, so again, I went cold turkey and this time round it's terrible.

Headaches, legs aching at night, lack of sleep, stomach pains.

What the hell?

I'm on day 3 and hoping it stops being so shit quite quickly, there's only so long I can do 4 hours sleep a night.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to stop thinking about fags, luv Cool

Actually ... although I'm much happier now I've given up, I'm starting to wonder if I ought to take it up again, as my sense of smell is now SO heightened, that its quite distressing. There was a Nigerian man on the train this morning who absolutely stunk of fish, it was filthy disgusting smelling, not like minge-fish smell, just like ghastly cooked-fish smell, urgh, made me think of fish-heads.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the real man's way of giving up. Thumbs Up Stick with it, the shit will pass.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:52 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will last for about a week. You'll be fine.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... patches are for pussies.
Mr. Green
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:01 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patches make it worse. I went cold turkey and went through all that pain. Gobbed pain killers most the time and felt crap. Its gone now. Lasted a few weeks. I can breath better, I dont use my inhalers really at all now. I feel calmer, not pumped up all the time. But it does make you feel tired. I miss that adrenaline buzz sometimes and eat like a horse Crying or Very sad it does get better as it goes along, just get past that rotten feeling and you will be fine.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:05 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've never believed in patches since you're just extending the addiction, this pain has just come as a bit of surprise since both other times there was none of it. Well, I constantly wanted a fag but I never had stomach cramps or legs the ached so bad I can't get comfy in bed.

It's all gay.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Yeah ... patches are for pussies.
Mr. Green


What have you been doing to Mingles... Shocked

Good luck with it Shaun, as Hetzer and Jon B point out it will pass soon enough. You could take yourself to that all you can eat place as a distraction? In fact, that's a winning plan. You can assuage your frustrations by bitching out the drones that work there, the ensuing fracas will supply reams of stand up material and the low quality food will provide enough physical discomfort to override any current stomach cramps.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:25 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Yeah I've never believed in patches since you're just extending the addiction, this pain has just come as a bit of surprise since both other times there was none of it. Well, I constantly wanted a fag but I never had stomach cramps or legs the ached so bad I can't get comfy in bed.

It's all gay.

I was really ill when I tried the patches, I lasted 6 weeks no the patch the first time and I spent that time feeling sick, dizzy, cramps in my arm, blistering, migraines, panic attacks! then tried again and the same happened and I lasted a day. Cold turkey was so much easier. I don't see the point in patches when you are still putting it into you, best get it over and done with quickly as possible.

food tastes bad for a while until taste buds change and its all good again. Sence of smell is back big time! I can smell people smoke outside my house when I have the windows shut.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
That's the real man's way of giving up. Thumbs Up Stick with it, the shit will pass.


I recall a thread in which you sang the praises of one of those E-cigarette things - I gather it never really did the trick?

I'm supposed to be feeling this same struggle in a few weeks time when I finish my exams, I told myself I'd quit and get back to the gym. It's not going to be easy, like Shaun I've quite a couple of times before for months at a time, but I just feel this time it's going to be a real struggle.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
That's the real man's way of giving up. Thumbs Up Stick with it, the shit will pass.


I recall a thread in which you sang the praises of one of those E-cigarette things - I gather it never really did the trick?

I'm supposed to be feeling this same struggle in a few weeks time when I finish my exams, I told myself I'd quit and get back to the gym. It's not going to be easy, like Shaun I've quite a couple of times before for months at a time, but I just feel this time it's going to be a real struggle.

GhostRider


The e-fag thing actually works really well, but I wasn't trying to give up smoking, I just wanted a less harmful way of getting my nicotine, one that was also still enjoyable.

Unfortunately my best mate died just after I'd started and I went back on the real fags in a moment of weakness. I inherited his 'Screwdriver' e-fag, which is like an industrial jobby, but since I've been enjoying the regular rollies I haven't got back into the whole e-fag gig.

I gave up for an entire year a couple of years back, cold-turkey, piece of piss (I'm lucky in that I don't suffer much from withdrawal), but made a conscious and deliberate decision to smoke again, because I don't give a fuck about dying of it much anymore and I enjoy it. I've no doubt I'll regret that attitude if I get cancer, but hey ho.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pyx_e
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:38 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patches work.

























If you stick them over your mouth.

Otherwise: keep it up! Never understood giving up a drug my taking more of it.
____________________
Shiney!
Kawasaki: ER5, Versys, VN900.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out the stomach cramps were my bodys way of telling me that I can no longer skip breakfast, apparently, fags provided my body with the sugar it needed until lunch, without them my insides shit themselves.

Now it's just the sore legs that need to fuck off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

The e-fag thing actually works really well, but I wasn't trying to give up smoking, I just wanted a less harmful way of getting my nicotine, one that was also still enjoyable.


Ahhh I see.

Quote:


I gave up for an entire year a couple of years back, cold-turkey, piece of piss (I'm lucky in that I don't suffer much from withdrawal), but made a conscious and deliberate decision to smoke again, because I don't give a fuck about dying of it much anymore and I enjoy it. I've no doubt I'll regret that attitude if I get cancer, but hey ho.


Same here, apart from the not giving a fuck if I do bit, hence the desire to quite whilst Im still relatively young and my lungs/ability to run without feeling like im going to die from asphyxiation have a reasonable chance to recover.

Might try one of the E-fags out to see if it's much cop

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Read Allan Carr's 'The Only Way to Stop Smoking'.

I don't know anyone who hasn't been successful in stopping after reading it, myself included.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:


Typical triumph owners. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

The e-fag thing actually works really well, but I wasn't trying to give up smoking, I just wanted a less harmful way of getting my nicotine, one that was also still enjoyable.

but since I've been enjoying the regular rollies I haven't got back into the whole e-fag gig.

I gave up for an entire year a couple of years back, cold-turkey, piece of piss (I'm lucky in that I don't suffer much from withdrawal), but made a conscious and deliberate decision to smoke again, because I don't give a fuck about dying of it much anymore and I enjoy it. I've no doubt I'll regret that attitude if I get cancer, but hey ho.


I'm fairly similar. I got the e-cig for travelling and 'smoking' in the office as their were fit birds and I was conscious of smelling.

Caused a furore down the pub, everyone loved it, but then the damned thing started eating atomisers and cartridges and when it dies and takes weeks to get replacements Rolling Eyes

Bah, I enjoy smoking. And at the moment I'm losing weight, once I'm down to 15 stone I'll quit.

Not until then.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have some heroin, once you've finished kicking that you won't be addicted to smoking at all. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
Have some heroin, once you've finished kicking that you won't be addicted to smoking at all. Thumbs Up

WRONG..even if it is a joke. Wink Staying off skag is far far easier than staying off ciggies.

Last time i gave up cigs i lasted for 16mnths, 13 of those i didn't even want 1. Then one day i just wanted 1 and now i'm smokin' like a trooper again. Not arsed at the mo. [exhale]


Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its any help to anyone, I've just given up using a drug called Champix which you can get from the GP every 2 weeks. Its really helped me where nicotine replacement hasn't (I've tried patches, gum and sublingual tablets in the past). There were a few side effects for the first week or so (headaches and nausea mainly), but if you man up and take it, the effects become managable pretty quickly. Prior to this I was a dyed in the wool 20 year smoker at 20 + a day, so its come as a pleasant surprise how easy its been to stay of the cigs even though I've now stopped taking tablets as well.. Thumbs Up
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
WRONG..even if it is a joke. Wink Staying off skag is far far easier than staying off ciggies.


So how long did it take you to kick the heroin? Sorry but saying that heroin is easier to kick than smoking I'm hoping you have been addicted to and beaten both?

Because from what I've heard and seen heroin is alot more than 'achey legs and a slight cough boo hoo,' I doubt that would make a good cold turkey scene as opposed to hallucinations of dead babies with twisty heads etc.


Neutral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
I don't know anyone who hasn't been successful in stopping after reading it, myself included.


You do now Very Happy

To be fair, I only read it to keep the missus off my back and didn't have any intention to give up either before I read, it or after. Also to be perfectly fair, I sped read (?) it pretty much all the way through, and some of the stuff I did take in I disagreed with anyway.

I also disagreed with what I saw as the assumption that secretly I wish to give up, which just isn't true.

Good luck to anyone seriously trying to give up though.
____________________
A Guide To Powerbands
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
saying that heroin is easier to kick than smoking

i didn't say that.


Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
Have some heroin, once you've finished kicking that you won't be addicted to smoking at all. Thumbs Up


Nope, Heroin is no where as near addictive as nicotine. Sure the withdrawal symptoms can be unpleasant but to get a smack habit will take you about four months of daily usage. Fags can hook you in a couple of days.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 169 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.44 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 139.61 Kb