Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Solution for a puncture?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:07 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Solution for a puncture? Reply with quote

Damnit, went to the garage this morning and the back was flat. Then I see a small nail sticking out of a groove in the tread. Sad Now I'm stranded as it'll cost me in the region of £20 to get to work and back by train which I'm not doing. So, gotta get this thing fixed but I'm wondering what the best way is? Replace the tube, patch it with a bicycle kit or try out one of those products that 'gloops' about inside the tube and seals the puncture for a quick fix? Bearing in mind I need to get to work at some point today!

Ta!

Grr! Evil or Very Mad
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thewildblue
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:11 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the wheel out and go down to a car repair place, get them to put a "bung" in, like a proper repair.

I dont trust the goo stuff.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:42 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tubed tyre I don't think it can be plugged as such. I have the back wheel off now, but not the tools/expertiese to get the tyre and tube off/on again by myself. I found somewhere which is a small train ride away that can sort it though. Cheers for the suggestion. First puncture in 13'500 miles, much better than my old bicycle anyway!Thumbs Up
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:20 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm my better half just suggested that I keep a spare wheel with tyre fitted to it so I can drop it in if this were to happen again, because I need my bike for work... anyone else do that, or is it a bit silly?
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

alun111
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil.martin wrote:
Hm my better half just suggested that I keep a spare wheel with tyre fitted to it so I can drop it in if this were to happen again, because I need my bike for work... anyone else do that, or is it a bit silly?


It seems like a good idea.. but you have to take into consideration the cost of a modern ybr wheel. If it was an old CG I'd say do it as a wheel with a tyre can be picked up for about £20, but I'm just not sure it will be cost effective on the ybr.
____________________
Summer: '00 Honda CB600F Hornet
Winter: '93 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit VP Variable Valve
Past Bikes: Lifan LF100-5 Lifan LF125-A Honda C70
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, well I was only 4 hours late for work! Had to take the wheel a good few miles away to get a new tube fitted as there seems to be nowhere that does it locally where I live. All's well now. Seen one wheel for £50, used but new ones are £99! Ouch... Might put some of that gloopy stuff in the valve now as a preventative measure.
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubes can be fixed fairly easy yourself if you can get the tyre off and on again.
You want a proper repair kit not the bike type ones.
This sort of thing might suit because you get gas cartridge to inflate anywhere.
https://www.poweredadventure.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=bi_rem002

Most cars are on tubeless but lots of things still have tubes that need fixing e.g.agricultural vehicles and trailers.
You can put together a kit of your own but if you only get one or two a year don't go mad because the solution goes off after 2 or 3 years once opened.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman



Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloop/tyreweld will not work with a tubed tyre, they are for tubeless only Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil.martin wrote:
Hm my better half just suggested that I keep a spare wheel with tyre fitted to it so I can drop it in if this were to happen again, because I need my bike for work... anyone else do that, or is it a bit silly?


I had an entire second bike and went through a stage of punctures (local scrotes I think given other vandalism) - I used to switch the rears over all of the time.

At worst you'll never need it again and will eBay it when you sell the bike.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S


Last edited by Kal on 13:56 - 22 Apr 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the tyre off that wheel by hand looks like a royal pain in the backside TBH. Only cost me £10 to get a new tube fitted. Would have been £25 if they had to take the back wheel off and put it back, so I did that myself. Amazing machine they use to get the tyre off, did the whole job in 5 minutes flat! I used to have this Slime stuff in my bicycle inner tube that would seal punctures so there might be something suitable for me. Gonna get on Google methinks! Thanks for all the advice folks. Karma
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ttr
Crazy Courier



Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's tube type, keep a spare tube and get some tyre levers. Once you get the technique it is actually stupidly easy, though there is a bit of a knack to it as I found out Laughing
____________________
GS125-> NT400->VFR400->CRM250->Z750 + GS125->NTV650 rat + VMX1200->GSF600 + GPz550
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echinda wrote:
If it's tube type, keep a spare tube and get some tyre levers. Once you get the technique it is actually stupidly easy, though there is a bit of a knack to it as I found out Laughing


Having some lube around helps... Although you do get some odd looks in Wilkos if you are buying more than three tubes of KY Jelly.




Especially if you purchase a selection tools at the same time...
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ttr
Crazy Courier



Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found talcum powder pretty good.

Have heard that wd40 works well too, but I'd be dubious without a rimlock, which I guess a ybr wont have.
____________________
GS125-> NT400->VFR400->CRM250->Z750 + GS125->NTV650 rat + VMX1200->GSF600 + GPz550
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.76 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 80.03 Kb