Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


?1k-fifteen 'undred quid = VFR750 or CBR600 - or neither

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 01 May 2009    Post subject: £1k-fifteen 'undred quid = VFR750 or CBR600 - or neither Reply with quote

Yes, the title is suitably gay and yes, I am seriously asking this.

Current bike, GPZ500 - first bike

Been a biker all of 20 minutes in real time, or passed test in August in this crazy world. Hadn't even been on a bike for 10 years prior to that.

Happy ish with what I've got - I like it

But, itchy fingers - money to spend

Always wanted a CBR600 because when I was a nipper I wanted one, so now it's a case of fulfilling boyhood dreams (but without the fit blonde nurses) - but is it a case of never meet your heros?

However, VFR750 seems to do everything I want down to a tee; research suggests it's comfortable, reliable, good for touring. Downsides, a bit of weight and it's a jack of all trades master of none

I can't say I'm anywhere near as good as the GPZ is yet, ie the bike will outsmart me as a rider easily.

What do I do - man up and swap in for either, or just fcuking get on with riding the GPZ and see if I can get the pig flu rash from my fingertips?

Advice please Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BenR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 02 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get a VFR800Fi for 1500 quid now. Would definately recommend one of those. Depends what you want from a bike really. If you want a sports bike there are far better options than a CBR6.
____________________
Current bikes: suzuki RG125UN wolf. Yamaha MT-07
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 02 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever ridden one? For that money I wouldn't say there were FAR better options than a CBR600. They are very well built and very reliable. Their practicality and ubiquitousness seems to make people think that somehow they are nowhere near as sporty as a ZX6 or GSXR from the same era but that's bollocks-there's not that much in it and they were still mixing it on track. Only criticism I would have is that they look a bit boring in my opinion.

After your GPZ it will feel VERY nice, very smooth, very quick, great brakes, great handling etc. etc. That goes for any sports 600 as they are pretty much flagship models and just feel a bit more...quality. I only chose a CBR as from the ZX6Rs and GSXRs I looked at it was the best condition for the money.

I wouldn't worry too much about jumping from a GPZ to a sports 600 either as the power comes in so high in the rev range that they are easy to ride sensibly and quite forgiving unless you want them not to be.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:27 - 02 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers

I'm not wanting to go sports mad, but I do want something with a turn of pace, good handling - or more importantly neutral handling.

I'm not sure I want to go up too far in terms of weight, I like having a light bike - and for no other reason it makes it very easy to get the bike back in my garage facing the right way without having to pull the car out.

I want comfort, reliability, practicality but with speed and looks. I guess both fit the bill?

Isn't the 800i a bit of a pig to service - seems to be from what I've read? Most seem to prefer the 750.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sagalout
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:28 - 02 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can be sensible with the throttle, you could find a nice Zx9r c1/2 for about 1500. Lightweight, sporty, grunty, but still practical and easy to ride.
____________________
Current Bike: Triumph Speed Triple T309
Previous: CBR600F => ZX9R => Triumph Tiger => Honda Blackbird => GSXR 750 => Versys =>ZX12R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 02 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's an idea! Didn't realise they'd got that cheap - there's one on ebay in reasonable nick for £1200!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 02 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh - may have to go on hold until Jan when my policy is due for renewal - they want 6 times what I'm currently paying Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:53 - 03 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
If you want a sports bike there are far better options than a CBR6.

https://mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/o_rly.jpg
Lalala, not listening!
____________________
'06 Honda CBR125RW-6 ~ '00 Honda CBR600F-Y ~ '07 Honda CBR600RR-7 ~ Bikeless Sad
'53 Ford Ka 1.3 ~ '03 Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.8 ~ '52 Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.2 ~ '53 Vauxhall Astra GSi
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:44 - 03 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the CBR (I think) looks good, I have always wanted one and its within budget - more importantly I can insure it for not many peanuts over what I'm paying for the GPZ - so it has to be No1 contender at the moment....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 03 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite surprised by how cheap the insurance was on my CBR6, I wanted an NC29 but couldn't justify it as it was more to buy and probably the same to insure, still prefer the little 400s though Crying or Very sad

I don't think you can go far wrong with a CBR600 to be honest, they really do everything well from trackdays to touring, mine's even quite good on fuel, better than the little Bros 400 I used to commute on.

Tell you what, I'll do a swap for your ITR Whistle
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 03 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - no you're ok fella, I think I need to keep hold of the ITR Wink

May call on you for some advice when I do go bike hunting though Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 03 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to do test rides and think about what sort of riding you are going to use a bike for, and which bike suits it
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
you need to do test rides and think about what sort of riding you are going to use a bike for, and which bike suits it


Had a go on my mate's 02 plate last week - really liked it. He had a 95 plate beforehand and says it's not too disimilar although obviously different. If that's the case, around a 97 bike should be good for me Smile

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230342684786

Worth a punt at £1200 if that's what it goes for?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swiftb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

you still sticking with just the two models or have you thought of broadening the range a bit?? Hondas come up too expensive for my liking. Considered any of these models:

https://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/bikes/SUZUKI+GSX/Ne-2-4-7-8-27-64-104-133-146-236,N-121-239-4294965375-4294967208/advert.action?R=200912330999154&distance=37&postcode=se1+1hy&channel=BIKES&make=SUZUKI&model=GSX&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1999&vehicleRegLetter=T

https://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/bikes/TRIUMPH+TT/Ne-2-4-7-8-27-64-104-133-146-236,N-121-239-4294966210-4294967162/advert.action?R=200917113338760&distance=26&postcode=se1+1hy&channel=BIKES&make=TRIUMPH&model=TT&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2001&vehicleRegLetter=51

https://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/bikes/KAWASAKI+ZX/Ne-2-4-7-8-27-64-104-133-146-236,N-121-239-4294967191-4294967193/advert.action?R=200913331307697&distance=18&postcode=se1+1hy&channel=BIKES&make=KAWASAKI&model=ZX&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1997&vehicleRegLetter=P

sorry for size of links Confused

I would say although these are sports bikes they are less focused examples and would be good for a bit of everything which it sounds like your looking for
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah I don't mind broadening the range - all suitable suggestions listened to Smile

First one looks like it could well be a bit of me. I'll look a bit further into those and keep them in mind.

Had no idea you could get those triumphs for that kind of money now - and yes, that's definitely a bit of me. I like that Cool I'll run some quotes through and see what the insurance does

Unfortunately the last one is out just because of the insurance - they want far, far too much money to justify it Sad

Thanks for the help Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk.ceibay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230344626377

Scamtastic or just listed like 2k to cheaply by mistake? Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing he maybe meant to start an auction at that price? It's too low even for a scam as it would be too obvious Laughing
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously considering this but it's bloody miles from me and I don't want to get there to find it's shite

Or there's this one, but it doesn't seem to be an original colour and the lack of stickers is putting me off - that and the fact I'll look like a bumblebee Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's loads around so you can afford to hold out for a good one, the paint scheme on that first one makes it look a bit old fashioned somehow compared to say this:-
https://www.motoplanete.com/honda/CBR-600-97.jpg
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked it actually Mr. Green but then I am a bit retro Laughing

Been looking for weeks now - that yellow one is the only one that's come up anywhere near my price range and anywhere near where I live Sad

That said I'm in no rush, got to MOT the GPZ this week anyway
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perversely, you might find the VFR a bit cheaper to insure on account of them not being crashed as much.

Not quite as sports focused as a CBR but you are getting a lot of motorcycle for your money and I can vouch for the build quality.

I'd rather have a moderately high mileage VFR than a similar CBR. The VFR will definately age better.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR's about £3 difference to the CBR, so either would do fine. Struggling to find a VFR at the right sort of money though - well, I'm struggling to find anything at the right sort of money which either means I'm looking in the wrong places or I expect too much and need to move my budget accordingly
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 0.75 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 117.51 Kb