|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Feasty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Feasty World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:56 - 11 May 2009 Post subject: I nearly killed someone last night... |
 |
|
Had a long journey to do last night back up the M1 from darn sarf at about 10-11pm. The traffic was really good, all moving fast and no jams - could safely do 90mph all the way!
So I was in the middle lane overtaking slower traffic and coming up to a car in front of me that I wanted to overtake. Check my mirrors and see 4 or 5 cars coming up really quite fast so I slow a little and bide my time waiting for them to pass. I keep an eye on them and notice a bike coming up a way behind them, I watch for a little bit whilst they go whizzing past and see just how fast the bike is going, well it's still a way back so I've got plenty of room to pull out after the fast cars, overtake the car in front of me and pull back in again so the biker can continue without me getting in his way. I start the overtake and see the bike gathering pace towards me as I pass the the car in the middle lane, so I put my foot down and start indicating to pull back into the middle lane not far away from the car but just so the bike doesn't have to slow down too much. Next thing I know the biker is aiming for the gap between me and the car I'm overtaking, despite my indicating and lane changing!! Thankfully being a biker myself I triple checked his positioning and could see he'd already committed himself to the manouvre so I managed to yank the car back into the fast lane before the bike fly's past in the spot I could have been in - and probably just about every none bike riding driver would have been in. I was doing about 90 at this point and I'd guess by the rate at which he passed by and continued into the slow lane before pulling himself back into the fast lane, he was doing at least 120-130mph.
Such an utter idiot, and for absolutely no reason! I've done some stupid stuff in my time but this one really took the biscuit...  ____________________ Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:00 - 11 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
You should change the thread title to 'someone nearly killed themselves lastnight.'
I had some arse on sports bike, possibly a GSXR carrying a pillion hare past me in the same lane, he was so close I could've picked both their pockets.
You get some fannies so you do...
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| twostroketit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 twostroketit Spanner Monkey
Joined: 02 Dec 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NexusDragon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NexusDragon Scooby Slapper

Joined: 23 Oct 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:37 - 11 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
What a tit!
I see other bikers filter and undertake between gaps at 80mph+ on the motorway and wonder how on earth accidents dont happen, just like with cars pulling back in to the middle lane as with you. If traffic is starting to slow down then I'll filter but there's no need to be a dick when traffic is already travelling at a fair enough speed. ____________________ DAS Passed 19th April 08. 07' YBR125 > Yamaha FZ6 S2 '08 > 1998 YZF600R ThunderCat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 1016 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 1016 Scooby Slapper
Joined: 24 Mar 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| s44678 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 s44678 Guest
|
|
| Back to top |
| |
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Feasty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Feasty World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:24 - 11 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I was between Eastbourne and Brighton over the weekend and some of the bikes (though I don't recognise all makes and models!) were fantastic to look at, the riding was pretty good all round too. It's just a shame that there are a few around who give the rest of us a bad name.
On top of what happened to me with this rider, he was also wearing trainers and most likely I'm guessing his jeans weren't protective! Plus the motorway warning signs had just come on with a warning of debris on the road, normally I ignore these because the debris has always been cleared by the time I get there but it's a bit different when they've just come on! Turns out a trailer was on the hard shoulder missing a wheel! ____________________ Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:26 - 11 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Flip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flip Super Spammer

Joined: 28 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:03 - 11 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sounds like it was his/her own fault.
Somewhere on another forum there will be a thread "f*ckin' cager nearly killed me - probably a women".
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Coxyzxr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Coxyzxr Brolly Dolly

Joined: 22 May 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:36 - 11 May 2009 Post subject: Re: I nearly killed someone last night... |
 |
|
Are you aware of how quickly a sports bike can stop from 120mph? It can bleed off speed incredibly quickly. Also, how quickly a big sports (litre class) bike can accelerate from 90mph to 120mph? Again, very quickly - so could
It may be that the rider wasn't aware of the situation. It may also be that they were fully aware and would have been able to easily stop in time when required.
I, like everyone else, tends to base my own ideas of what's safe or not on my own experiences, but I appreciate that often this may just mean that it's not an environment I'm comfortable with, rather than the activity being black-and-white 'dangerous'.
Beanfeast: were you wearing a safety helmet and five point harness? If not, seems rather 'dangerous' for you to be driving at these illegal speeds . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:56 - 11 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Should've been 'hared past.' Sausage fingers missed the D at the end. From the story of the tortoise and the hare...
Or something... Might be a Scottish thing...
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Feasty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Feasty World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:10 - 11 May 2009 Post subject: Re: I nearly killed someone last night... |
 |
|
| G wrote: | I, like everyone else, tends to base my own ideas of what's safe or not on my own experiences, but I appreciate that often this may just mean that it's not an environment I'm comfortable with, rather than the activity being black-and-white 'dangerous'. |
G, I hope you're not trying to say in a rather round-about way that undertaking at over 100mph into a gap a car is about to move into, and is indeed indicating that it's about to move into is NOT black and white dangerous!
| G wrote: | Beanfeast: were you wearing a safety helmet and five point harness? If not, seems rather 'dangerous' for you to be driving at these illegal speeds  . |
What illegal speeds officer!? Oh my original post! Well I never actually said my exact speed did I, and I have this strange way of over-estimating figures on these forums...  ____________________ Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mac_Black |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mac_Black World Chat Champion
Joined: 25 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:36 - 11 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
The way you have described it makes it sound quite bad, but hopefully for the riders sake he had more of an idea of what he was doing than you might believe.
I have filtered at up to 112mph on the motorway and sometimes on A roads before and in some situations it can be justified, believe it or not.
Admittedly I have made mistakes as well which have brought me into situations a bit hairier than I'd rather be in and I appreciate that some of maneuvers may well scare the living shite out of the road users I have passed but in allot of circumstances riders that get away with this sort of stuff tend to actually be quite skilled and capable, or just think they are...
I'm yet to find out which of those to class myself as but naturally I'm inclined to think I'm in the former.
Another thing that I've noticed after many more years of riding pillion than I ever have been actually riding myself, is that when a rider does something even half reminiscent of my own riding style I usually feel it's a bit dodgy to say the least.
Really after many years trying to explore the limits in many different ways I'd be happy to say that this sort of riding can actually be done safely, but those concerned must be switched on. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 1016 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 1016 Scooby Slapper
Joined: 24 Mar 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wozza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wozza Brolly Dolly

Joined: 17 May 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:06 - 12 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well done for not killing him  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Feasty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Feasty World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 08:43 - 12 May 2009 Post subject: Re: I nearly killed someone last night... |
 |
|
| G wrote: | I wondered if the OP had any experience of the capabilities of sports bikes from his signature.
An indicator, as I hope people on here realise, does not give you the right to move in to a space. |
You are right G I haven't had any experience of riding sports bikes, I just don't have an interest in that style of bike. I love naked and more upright bikes and the SLR I currently have is the fastest bike I've ridden - and will be until my restriction ends next year.
I hold my hands up and admit I've done daft things before now that I'm sure have made car drivers think I'm very stupid, and I suspect this is the same situation this biker put himself in too - only difference being I very much doubt he would have lived if he'd clipped my car. Whereas I tend to do daft things at lower speeds.
I understand where you're coming from but undertaking on a motorway when it's pretty empty anyway and almost getting killed is even worse than if it were busy and he would have been making up time, in this case he would have lost about 2 secs if he'd waited until I was out of his way.
And like you say, putting an indicator on doesn't give anyone any right to move automatically, in fact had he not been there I probably wouldn't have indicated at all - it was only for his benefit. Just image if I'd have been driving a BMW, he'd have had no chance!!  ____________________ Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:13 - 12 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
This thread is interesting in that if it had been a car making a similar manouvre (gaps widened relatively) no one would be trying to justify the driver's actions, indeed; the exact opposite would be the case.
Just the merest sensation of double standards...
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 1016 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 1016 Scooby Slapper
Joined: 24 Mar 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 1016.5 |
This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 1016.5 Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 28 Apr 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 1016 |
This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 1016 Scooby Slapper
Joined: 24 Mar 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|