|
|
| Author |
Message |
| ash t |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ash t World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Dec 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ..... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ..... Quote Me Happy
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:14 - 18 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ash t |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ash t World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Dec 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:21 - 18 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
If it is for 6 months, then that is pretty good. Our last quarter bill was £550.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ariel Badger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ariel Badger Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:01 - 18 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I always pay quarterly by debit card online. You put in your meter reading each quarter and only pay for what you use.
None of this DD or estimated meter reading stuff, they will just rip you off, hold on to your money so they can make money from it themselves.
Ok, you might save £3 going by DD but if they're charging the same during the summer as they do during the winter, I fail to see how that is fair.
Register to pay online, then rsubmit an actual meter reading and get a new bill.
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:11 - 18 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Never realised it was as much as that.
I just resent big utility companies holding onto people's money to invest (or do what ever it is they do with it.)
If they're giving a £100 saving they'll be making that somewhere else, perhaps in tying folk into contracts or holding the 'surplus' paid in a high interest account... (If such a thing exists... )
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:20 - 18 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
Not really, they also have to cover all the losses for people whose bills are underestimated so not really a massive surplus.
The £100 is worth it to them if it means they are getting paid regularly, rather than having to send out red letters, chase people up, process individual payments, etc. Probably also makes it far less likely that people will land up in a load of debt and default, costing them money chasing them through the courts.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kwaks |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kwaks I'm not a fast rider

Joined: 28 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 06:31 - 19 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
In addition those paying by DD are less likely to jump about chasing cheaper prices, thus are more loyal. ____________________ Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:58 - 19 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Probably.
But why should I pay to cover the utility companies short sightedness...
DD might be easier, but big utility companies have a track record of poor ethics in terms of their customer's money. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could, ummm, throw them?
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:28 - 19 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Currently I pay quarterly by debit card, I put in meter readings, a bill is generated and I pay it. I'm only paying for what I use.
If I pay by direct debit, its inflexible. Trying to get a power company to alter the direct debit is hard work. If you over pay (given the power company's track record, I suspect more people over pay than do under pay.) Also, as I understand it, in the small print, you're not able to get any over-payment back until you sever ties with that supplier for what ever reason.
So, I'm not paying to cover other peoples under payments or non-payments (well, I am, but potentially not to the extent I would be if I was using DD.)
Ok, the power company might try to recoup those losses by hiking up the prices, but competition comes into play. Doesn't matter what you do, they're all going to alter prices to cover losses but they're still in competition with each other, its all relative.
In terms of gas usage, I stayed in my last flat for 18 months and our gas bill didn't amount to more than £600 for that entire time period. The direct debit payment suggested to us by scottish power (as I recall) was about £55 per month.
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:53 - 19 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| pa_broon74 wrote: | Currently I pay quarterly by debit card, I put in meter readings, a bill is generated and I pay it. I'm only paying for what I use. |
But you could pay less for the same useage by paying by direct debit. They all want you to pay by direct debit and they all want to sell you both gas an electric. Minimises their costs and hence a discount to attract you.
| pa_broon74 wrote: | If I pay by direct debit, its inflexible. Trying to get a power company to alter the direct debit is hard work. |
Not really on either count.
| pa_broon74 wrote: | Also, as I understand it, in the small print, you're not able to get any over-payment back until you sever ties with that supplier for what ever reason. |
Can see no reason for that at all (and not can Scottish Power, and if you keep on top of it (easier than remembering to pay the bill) it is unlikely that you will land up having major over payments.
| pa_broon74 wrote: | So, I'm not paying to cover other peoples under payments or non-payments (well, I am, but potentially not to the extent I would be if I was using DD.) |
You are, because you are paying more than the reduced rate offered to DD payers. Your increased rate covers the higher chance of non payment or late payment from those who pay on receipt of bill.
| pa_broon74 wrote: | Ok, the power company might try to recoup those losses by hiking up the prices, but competition comes into play. Doesn't matter what you do, they're all going to alter prices to cover losses but they're still in competition with each other, its all relative. |
True, and they all offer DD discounts, so no real point in moving from one who charges you more to pay on receipt of bill to another that also charges you more to pay on receipt of bill.
| pa_broon74 wrote: | In terms of gas usage, I stayed in my last flat for 18 months and our gas bill didn't amount to more than £600 for that entire time period. The direct debit payment suggested to us by scottish power (as I recall) was about £55 per month. |
Which you could have easily changed. You were still using about £33 a month anyway (and if you had both gas and electric and paid by DD that possibly could have knocked almost £10 a month off your bill).
I can see why people don't want to pay by direct debit and prefer the control of paying on receipt of bill, but I think it a bit strange that you try and justify paying more for your gas an electric as you don't want the perceived extra cost of actually paying less for them.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:44 - 19 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Not having looked at any deals for direct debit payment (and not being arsed to do a point by point rebuttal of your post above.)
I'm sure there's something in what your saying, but I just don't trust the power companies as much as you do. Direct debit amounts are hard to change, its an off'd mentioned complaint about power company business practice.
https://www.utilityweek.co.uk/news/uk/panutility/which-accuses-energy-firms-ove.php (Basically Which? carried out a survey and opver payment accounted for the highest number of complaints.)
https://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/mar/27/ofgem-energy-bills-direct-debit-payments (Report from the Guardian about OFGEM telling suppliers to wind their necks in regarding DD increases.)
I pay the same per kilowatt hour as someone paying by direct debit, again, not checking the deals (life is to short) I'd rather put any potential over payment in a savings account (for what its worth) or spend it on stuff I want/need rather than lodge it with a power company so they can do what ever it is they do with it.
I just don't believe the savings are as far reaching as you claim. But please don't spend time checking it out, I take your point, but I just don't trust any business enterprise these days; its all motivated by profit.
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:04 - 19 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| pa_broon74 wrote: | but I just don't trust the power companies as much as you do. Direct debit amounts are hard to change, its an off'd mentioned complaint about power company business practice. |
Having worked for one who were a bunch of idiots to their staff, I don't trust them. However the biggest problem is that people don't bother to read their meters and just happily have estimated readings until they get really silly (one way or the other). Meters are meant to be read on a regular basis, but with so many houses not having anyone in during the day this just doesn't happen. People who land up hideously in credit through not bothering to give readings want someone to blame for their own failings.
If you are prepared to go to the effort of giving the readings then your dd should be pretty accurate. Likely to be in credit in summer and debt in winter, just to even the payments out.
Certainly never had any issue changing direct debits when I have wanted to.
| pa_broon74 wrote: | I pay the same per kilowatt hour as someone paying by direct debit, again, |
You might well (although one way direct debit discounts are given is by charging a lower unit rate, but seems to have almost died out as it is less noticeable on the bill, and no a major chunk to remind people), but you are paying a higher bill.
| pa_broon74 wrote: | I just don't believe the savings are as far reaching as you claim. But please don't spend time checking it out, I take your point, but I just don't trust any business enterprise these days; its all motivated by profit. |
It is all motivated by profit. Profits are higher due to reduced costs with direct debit, hence they are prepared to charge less for DD customers. In the same way as the costs with prepayment meters are far higher there are higher charges to people on token meters and far less interest in bothering to attract them as customers.
npower DO give a £100 per year discount for paying for both gas and electric by direct debit (I have my bill in front of me by the phone having rang them with my reading a couple of days ago, and probably will have to reduce my DD beyond the £39 reduction they have already put in place). While I have no doubt deals vary a bit (and I cannot be bothered to look them up), all the suppliers will give you similar discounts. You can choose to pay more if you wish.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Amanda |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Amanda Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 03 Apr 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Amanda |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Amanda Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 03 Apr 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|