Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Worried about tattoos.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Worried about tattoos. Reply with quote

I'm gonna be 18 in February and am planning on getting some ink.

I've wanted these tattoos for about a year, I picked two designs that are about things I have loved for a long time, not just a passing thing, and have had the designs in my room so I see them all the time and still love them, but I still keep thinking what if I get them and hate them, or what if I hate them 20 years down the line.

The designs are the trojan record label logo, and a biomechanical piece on the inside of my calf with a rear shock instead of my shin bone.

I really want these but keep getting nervous about whether I'm going to love them all my life.

Any advice?
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bruvaD
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have plenty of tattoo's (im only 22) in 20 years time are you really going to be that bothered about if you regret it or not you will have more important things in your life then to worry about!

From my experience half the time you forget you have tattoos especially if you can't see them yourself : ie calf , back shoulder tattoos.

The main thing is making sure you get a good tattoo artist , i bad one will definately make you regret the tattoo i would say make sure you have seen his previous work espcially if your getting custom work done.

Hope that helps.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've already done the right thing by choosing and waiting a year to see if you still like it.

And if in 20 years you really do hate them, you don't have to show them off, and I'm sure with the speed laser surgerys improving, it'll be a piece of piss to get them removed if you really must!
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you're gonna get them done despite what anyone says in this thread...

Do your homework and find a good tatoo artist, look at his/her portoflio, discuss your designs with him/her, be sure that you're happy with his/her work prior to taking the plunge.

I've seen some god awful tattoo's that could have been pretty good if the individual concerned had taken the time to find a tatttooist who was sympathetic to the needs and requirements of the customer and was (at the very least!) competent at their job.

Take your time making the decision.
____________________
Mellow Yellow
The BCF Top TEN - 2010, 2009, 2008, The Original.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

From someone who has zero desire for a tattoo, unless you are 100% certain you want them for life then don't bother. You will have to live with them (OK, if you are desperate you can pay for someone to make an attempt at removing them in the future).

Pretty certain that anything you think of as cool now will be far from cool in 20 years time.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try a henna (sp) tattoo for a while?

p.s. I think faded and stretched tattoos on old people are just repulsive ... that'll be you one day Sick
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd avoid having ANY logo as a tattoo.

My ex-brother in law still has the old Leeds United badge on his chest! Laughing Rolling Eyes

Also bear in mind that if you ever visit the USA in your life, you may look a bit of a prick! Neutral

https://generopolis.com/wpblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/trojans.gif
https://www.uncarved.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/trojan20l20copy.gif
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support Leeds, there's nothing wrong with that. Laughing

I have checked out a very very good artist, I've seen his work on alot of my freinds parents and parents freinds, plus checked out his portfolio. He also specialises in biomechanical work, his designs are exactly what I want, and I know he is good at putting them on people.

I'm getting them on my chest (Like Bonny's Dianese logo) and my inner calf, so it's not so obvious.

Anyone got any ink they regret?

Anyone able to describe what it's like getting/having a tattoo?
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool


Last edited by Moonie on 11:55 - 08 Jun 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two sleeves, chest piece, back piece, belly button, left thigh, right calf, inside of forefingers and the sides of my hands done...I regret none of them as they all mean something to me, and I couldn't care less what they look like when I'm 80 tbh, I'll just be glad I've reached 80 and hope I'm still going strong...

Me burping so loudly everyone in the pub turned round...

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/NSR-AD/CopyofPub1.jpg

Don't really have many photos of my Tatts in great detail tbh...

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/NSR-AD/DSCF0072.jpg

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/NSR-AD/DSCF0024.jpg

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/NSR-AD/DSCF0027.jpg
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with mudskipper, you may get mockery. Would expect more people know the trojan condoms then the music.

As for the logo, I'm big enough and ugly enough to get away with being 'just another prick with a logo'. Expect heckling. It makes me happy, and I have my own reasons (in essence, dianese = bike, bike = happy, ergo tattoo = reminder that bikes make me happy. Very important when you're as miserable a git as I am), but asides from italians and bikers NO ONE knows mine.

I've had star wars, space invaders and all kinds of weird ones Laughing
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I can deal with the mockery as long as I like it.

I'm pretty sure about the trojan one, was brought up with 1st and 2nd gen ska/reggae and have always loved it.
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonie wrote:
I support Leeds, there's nothing wrong with that. Laughing

I have checked out a very very good artist, I've seen his work on alot of my freinds parents and parents freinds, plus checked out his portfolio. He also specialises in biomechanical work, his designs are exactly what I want, and I know he is good at putting them on people.

I'm getting them on my chest (Like Bonny's Dianese logo) and my inner calf, so it's not so obvious.

Anyone got any ink they regret?

Anyone able to describe what it's like getting/having a tattoo?


Which artist are you using? I am a voice of experience as I have a tattoo I regret and I'm only 20 so it can happen, not so much the design but the artist is wrong. You learn from your mistakes, though its best not to make them in the first place if you can help it.

First of all I have alot of respect for you as you clearly have thought about it before having it done and that is rare in our age group. Usually people go out and get stars or tribals to look cool, which doesn't look good.

Second you have to build up a relationship with the guy that is doing it, as this is your skin so you have to be sure its what you want. My tattooist is one of the best in England and I'm proud of that, and the work he has done on me he is proud of too, and I'm never letting anyone else ink me but him.

Third, when you have the right artist, make sure you have the right design. It doesn't matter what other people will think, because they are not the ones wearing it, you are. When you are happy with the design and the artist, then you should go for it, don't listen to anybody else. Even if its a monkey in a hitler uniform flinging shit at Jesus, if it means something to you then who gives a toss what other people think.

When it comes to getting the tattoo, yes, it hurts. Anyone who says it doesn't was probably fingered as a child and thus desensitised to the pain. The amount it hurts differs from region to region however, the most painful one I have had is in the armpit. If it doesn't hurt, its likely that it makes a nice twinge in a related muscle. By nice I mean not nice. For example, getting the upper portion of my arm done made my neck twinge even though the needle was nowhere near it.

Lastly as you already know, its not a good idea to get a tattoo in a place which can't be covered up.

Hope my rambling helps in some way. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bruvaD
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A agree with the poster above,


And just to mention i found the Rib's kidney area quite sore , also felt a weird twinge in my elbow while getting that one done!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help everyone Thumbs Up

The tattoo is Mike Strange, based in Brackley I think.

Never met the guy but having seen his work I know I wanthim doing it. Apparently he is safe as fuck too.
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the moment only certain colours can be removed, bare this in mind.

one of our managers has the playboy logo on his arse and went to get it removed, right to the point of them testing the equipment no his skin to check he could cope only to be told they can't remove the colour.

not 100% what colour it is but thye can't get rid of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

amnesia
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said previously - its about more than talent when it comes to selecting an artist to stab you lots.

I went to see an artist based in Cannock because he was in Skin Deep magazine all the time. His work was amazing.

I thought his "we'll just wing it on the day" attitude disturbing and very unprofessional. He didn't get my business.


Think carefully about the design...a guy I used to work with was an Everton supporter, so he had the crest tattooed...excpet the blue was too pale and the motto was missing a letter. He followed this up by getting Bart Simpson - in fancy dress as a devil. A Red Devil...a bit to MUFC for an Everton supporter I feel.
____________________
25/7 I'm a God-damn Rock Star
"Arguing about the best 125 is like arguing which Spice Girl could sing best"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go and speak to the artist first then if youre still happy with them make an appointment over the phone or on another visit a month or so later. I've met some 'acclaimed' artists who no doubt are extremely good artists, but are also utter wankers. The guy who does mine is a decent bloke and a good laugh which is very important to me considering I'm having a body suit, may not apply so much to smaller designs, depends on you.

If it was me I'd wait a couple of years before going ahead with it, as I did. spend another couple of years spending your money on nights out, booze, petrol/bikes and condoms. Tattoos take up a fair bit of money and you will be more certain about what you want and yourself after a few years. I got mine started after I turned 23 and had the idea for my tattoo from the age of 16/17.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted one in my teens, but I wasn't sure what to have or where to have it. So I waited till I was well into my 20's.

I do not regret mine, I like it very much, and still do.

However, I do design tattoos for friends, and they are largely cover-up designs for those cringing at what they thought was cool in their teen years.

It's basically up to you. Your body, your choice.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I always wanted one in my teens, but I wasn't sure what to have or where to have it. So I waited till I was well into my 20's.

I do not regret mine, I like it very much, and still do.

However, I do design tattoos for friends, and they are largely cover-up designs for those cringing at what they thought was cool in their teen years.

It's basically up to you. Your body, your choice.


I second this, I am an advocate of traditional Japanese artwork as it is timeless aswell as beautiful. Clanger, though we are not friends in the traditional sense, I have an idea for a tattoo and wouldn't mind it being drawn up if you have the artistic skill and spare time? Would chuck a few quid your way! PM me if you want, though no worries if you don't wanna! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mac_Black
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
monkey in a hitler uniform flinging shit at Jesus

That is so going to be my first tattoo, The evil monkey from Family Guy or possibly Time Splitters and Jesus from... well the Bible I guess Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac_Kaliba wrote:
phantomtek wrote:
monkey in a hitler uniform flinging shit at Jesus

That is so going to be my first tattoo, The evil monkey from Family Guy or possibly Time Splitters and Jesus from... well the Bible I guess Laughing


It's going to be my 6th or 7th. That rocks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:

monkey in a hitler uniform flinging shit at Jesus


I'd have that but the Missus would kill me...

She fucking hates Monkeys...
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
I've had star wars, space invaders and all kinds of weird ones Laughing


https://www.andyshan.co.uk/pics/space%20raiders.jpg

https://www.motoinsight.it/images/Parche-dainese-mediano-thumb.jpg

Thinking Only messin'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice... look for somthing that can be expanded on, the only thing I regret about any of my ink is some of it is too small. I have been going under the needle for 38 years and I am looking for a good back piece ATM. I do not like being tattooed by men so I am looking for a decent female artist to do the work
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 09 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I designed both my tattos myself (well, the atlantic ocean may have helped a bit on the Cornwall one but the final application is mine), so I know they are both unique. I will only have black tattoos but that is just down to me and I may relent for a design the missus wants me to get.

At the end of the day, it is your choice but it is a permanent one, so make it carefully and make sure that you are happy with the design. I would never go into a shop and pick a generic tattoo, but that is because I am fairly artistic (no, not autistic) and want my ink to be mine and mine alone. I don't leave my designs with the artist I use either.

The next tattoo will be a Rossi one and the missus may also have the same one done but again, I have drawn it and I am happy with my design.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.6 Kb