Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Obtaining certain qualifications online...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:52 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Obtaining certain qualifications online... Reply with quote

OK.

I'm a geek and I know shitloads about computers in general, but all I officially have to my name is a D in ICT, primarily cause I mucked about in my ICT sessions. However I feel despite all my unofficial experience this particular requirement for a lot of the jobs I have been looking at is holding me back.

Basically I need to able to quickly obtain a legal qualification that can be done very quickly and hopefully at home/online. Something like a ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) or RSA II skillz of somesort.

It's wholly ridiculous cause I know I know more about computers than 90% of the working population. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:33 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Re: Obtaining certain qualifications online... Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
I know more about computers than 90% of the working population. Rolling Eyes


Just write that on your CV. People will be throwing jobs at you.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

s44678
Guest





PostPosted: 09:51 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to put your skills to good use and research the aforementioned courses using the internet.
 Back to top
You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:56 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you know loads about computers but you can't find the answers to your questions on the web?

Without searching, do you know what a north-bridge is?
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie B
Crazy Courier



Joined: 22 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:58 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICS you can. Sick
____________________
Past: Katana 50, NSR125RR, FZR600r, CB-1 Present: TRX850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:05 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Without searching, do you know what a north-bridge is?


I do but I've never needed to know.
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Without searching, do you know what a north-bridge is?

On the motherboard, yes. But i'm not sure that would be a question that would ever come up in any of the jobs I am applying for. I'm not applying for an IT job, just the jobs I am applying for require proof of a basic comprehension of computer software. As such I shouldn't need to babble on about motherboards all day long.

I should have guessed that as soon as I posted a thread about jobs people decide to take a snipe.

As if I ever said that I should get a job because I know stuff about computers, it's just frustrating that I need to get these qualifications, even though I probably already know how to do what I am about to learn. Yes I have done research on the net, but I was looking for experiences. Hence why I asked on a public forum. Rolling Eyes

If any of you was confused, the skills I need to prove are software skills, basically Microsoft Office packages etc and not hardware skills, where I probably do have more experience.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

s44678
Guest





PostPosted: 10:51 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of job are you applying for where you have to prove Microsoft Office skills?

Surely you just state on your CV that you are proficient in them and that's that?

Designers are always expected to be proficient in most if not all of Adobe Suite, but there's no way you can prove it. If you get the job and you turn out not to have a clue, then really you have lied on your CV and they can just sack you.
 Back to top
You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:55 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Administrative roles mainly. Usually having either an ECDL or RSA Stage II is an essential requirement. Of course in the cover letter I prove I have competency with the relative programs etc, however I wonder if in this competitive market at the moment whether it is enough. Thinking
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:56 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Re: Obtaining certain qualifications online... Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
It's wholly ridiculous cause I know I know more about computers than 90% of the working population. Rolling Eyes


Laughing
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:12 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always fuck up a post with an arrogant statement. Laughing

It's strictly not true, but meh.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, what experience do you have?

Thumbs Up
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say experience, I suppose it is more of an interest. I have computing as a hobby and I suppose when you have an interest in something you pick up more knowledge. I admit I am probably a little bit shaky with most stuff, expecially Excel and Access and so i'd definately need to patch up on that, but i've found a course that can do that anyway, pretty much decided to go for an ECDL course anyway.

I know more about PC hardware than software and so maybe a course would be a good thing.

I dunno, early Tuesday morning grumpiness and now I have smelt and tasted the coffee (hmmm Mocha) and yes I am a twat.

I am just sick of unemployment, but then I guess i'm not alone, must persevere.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:13 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never been asked to prove any of my qualifications, the interview should be enough for them to decide. If that fails then they always have the trial period to fall back on.

Just put 'Extensive knowledge of Microsoft and other software packages' and make sure your CV is formatted professionally!
____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fnatic
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch that channel Dave on Freeview for about an hour. At least 20 companies offering IT qualifications online and at home that will apparently get you straight into a job. Laughing

Seriously, I'm kind of the same as you. My IT teacher hated me as I did no coursework for 2 years then did all of it in a week and got an A. My expected grade was an A, as well. Seems like a bit of a no brainer to put me on the higher paper? Nope, she put me on foundation. I got nearly 100% if I remember but all it counts for is a C.

I've just finished a two term course at college for a BTEC National Award in IT Web Development which is worth 1 A-level and fills up my CV that bit more. I think IT people on their CV's list their attributes more than their qualifications. For example they'll put HTML; PHP; C++/C#; VB6; Delphi and so on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got put on foundation paper as well, when I knew full well I could complete the higher tier. Funnily enough the feminist twat only put one male into the higher paper.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fnatic
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
I got put on foundation paper as well, when I knew full well I could complete the higher tier. Funnily enough the feminist twat only put one male into the higher paper.


Yeah it was annoying. I knew I had the knowledge to probably get an A or A*. Yet she puts on the students who have only done well in their coursework as they have had their hands held all the way through it. Absolute bollocks. I think most of the people on the higher paper failed anyway. When I started AS ICT before I left 6th form my teacher said that I should never of been put on Foundation paper and I think that teacher got a bollocking for it. They entered me in for a re-sit too but I left before it took place.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 23 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think thats bad, I'd like someone to explain to me why I was told I needed to be 21 and have held a clean driving licence for 3 years to be able to pack boxes in a warehouse/factory, despite being told there was no driving involved in the job and there never would be. Was the same for loads of assembly line jobs.

To be honest I'd just do some reading up on the qualifications, see what the learning material is, and then just lie about it, I know from your background that such admin jobs aren't exactly the dream career so who cares if you get found out (which is unlikely since if you are doing the job fine then they have no reason to question).

Depends if they ask to see certificates - I've never been asked to produce proof of anything in an interview, that includes proof of me having a degree at all (and this was for the FSS as a DNA analyst, so go figure...). It was the same in the interview for my current job too.

Trouble is, in this job climate, with the number of people applying for any one position, stating that you're badass on all MS stuff in words probably isn't enough, and they are stating that the other qualifications are necessary just to rapidly shortlist down, wheat from the chaff type thing, I would imagine this is especially true with agencies. So just state that you got all that in the bag anyway, and an interview will allow you to be convincing in that you are competent and know your way round MS software.

Then, if you get the job, brush up in the meantime (i.e Excel for dummies etc) just to get the basics in, the rest is just freestylin....

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 24 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in India, I met a fellow traveller who had just been on an all-inclusive Microsoft related 10 week intensive training course in Deli. Basically you pay something like £5k for the course, and are put up in a posh hotel and get taken to the centre and at the end of it get your qualification and a free holiday in India.

I am in touch with her still, I could find out details if you are interested. She has got herself a job because of it in London. But I'm sure you could do a search on the 'net and find out the details for yourself.

They may do cheaper courses elsewhere. Very Happy
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.61 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 105.33 Kb