|
|
| Author |
Message |
| lexie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lexie L Plate Warrior
Joined: 04 Apr 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irezumi aka Reuben |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irezumi aka Reuben Carrot Top
Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:47 - 12 Jul 2009 Post subject: Re: older riders on rs125's? |
 |
|
If it's a cheap bike to learn to ride to on before you pass your test, then makes sense .
I wouldn't pay a lot for one and personally would prefer a bit more power for road use (say 35-40 'real' hp.. no the RS125 does not make 33hp!). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paulington |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paulington World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:50 - 12 Jul 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
My Dad nowadays jumps on my Gilera SC125 more often than he jumps on his Pan-European, he's 44 and he damn enjoys the 125!  ____________________ "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lexie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lexie L Plate Warrior
Joined: 04 Apr 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kawakid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kawakid World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Oz. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Oz. Spanner Monkey

Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:59 - 14 Jul 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
First off, if you're planning to do your restricted test at 26, I'd strongly advise against it.
It's pretty much the same test when doing 'DAS', some find it easier on a 500cc bike and you have the option of being restricted or not.
Pretty much every single person I've known who's done the restricted test when they could have done DAS has regretted it.
A waste of your time and money to not do DAS.
It seems you're more bothered about what people think of you than the practicalities of the bike, so might be best to base your choice on that.
Were it me, if going for a 125, I'd definitely go for a cheap, maybe a bit tatty one. See how you find it, maybe try riding a few other bikes in that time.
If you decide it's the bike for you, then consider getting a more expensive shiny one, or consider other bikes if you decide you want to move on. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:04 - 14 Jul 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
While I do like small 2 strokes, if I were doing my test I would still do DAS rather than limit myself to a 125.
The RS is a good bike but does need half decent maintenance. I have had my RS now for 16 years .
For fun I would prefer the RS125 to something like a CB500, GPZ500, etc. But for long motorway journies the choice would be reversed.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mord |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mord Nearly there...
Joined: 11 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:44 - 14 Jul 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm 30yo and ride RS125 on A2 licence (33bhp) . I can't be arsed to go to 125cc owners meets so I don't feel too old  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kawakid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kawakid World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:29 - 15 Jul 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| G wrote: | d or not.
Pretty much every single person I've known who's done the restricted test when they could have done DAS has regretted it.
A waste of your time and money to not do DAS.
|
I did the 125 route , just so I could practice on my own bike. The bike I rode daily for 2 months, the bike I spent my lunchtimes doing ever tighter U-turns on. It was cheaper also (I had 2 lessons thats all).
After a year at 33bhp, I sort of wanted more power. Even after the 2 years were up and I was on a 100bhp bike, it was still a while, before I could really use the power.
One thing I really liked at 33bhp , was how I had to work all the gears
and go for it, I could push hard and my lunchtime route I enjoyed so much. The top speed it would go was 92mph , which might get me 6 points, but not a ban.
I wouldn't want to go back now though, but now I am more experienced. ____________________ I've a twin and a 4. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lexie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lexie L Plate Warrior
Joined: 04 Apr 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:19 - 20 Jul 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
i'm in northern ireland and apparently direct access doesn't apply over here, although neither does cbt! so it's either restriction or small capacity engine
to be honest i'll not be going to any bike meets so that's not going to be an issue and the maintainance side of things doesn't put me off the 2 strokes.
i like the styling and looks of sports bikes but i'm not looking for one that will do 150mph, not yet anyway lol. i like the yamaha r125 for it's looks and the fact that it's only slightly quicker than the cg125 i'm learning on doesn't really put me off, i really am that shallow , although i can see where people are coming from when they say buy a bigger bike and restrict it because after the 2 years it can be derestricted and it'll feel like a new bike so there's no need to change to a bigger one |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JAMSXR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JAMSXR World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jan 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:28 - 20 Jul 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I loved mine, it's what got me into bikes. Make sure you go for a full powered version with service history depending on the mileage..
 ____________________ Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|