Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


older riders on rs125's?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

lexie
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 12 Jul 2009    Post subject: older riders on rs125's? Reply with quote

i say older riders but i'm 26 so not exactly old lol. does any body rate the aprilia rs 125 for riders older than 17? as i'm really considering getting one. i know the maintanance side of it would put a lot of people off but from what i've read the handling and fun factor it provides can make up for this.

i'm sure lots of people on here have opinions on these so let's hear them
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 12 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may as well buy an RS250. Similar thing with a lot more power and arguably better chassis components.

Depends if you have a full licence or not though.

125's are good for fun bikes though!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 12 Jul 2009    Post subject: Re: older riders on rs125's? Reply with quote

If it's a cheap bike to learn to ride to on before you pass your test, then makes sense Thumbs Up.
I wouldn't pay a lot for one and personally would prefer a bit more power for road use (say 35-40 'real' hp.. no the RS125 does not make 33hp!).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 12 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad nowadays jumps on my Gilera SC125 more often than he jumps on his Pan-European, he's 44 and he damn enjoys the 125! Thumbs Up
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lexie
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 14 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'll be my first bike, i'm doing my lessons at the minute and i'll have a 33 bhp restriction as far as i know. i don't really want to get a bigger bike and restrict it down and want the styling of a sports bike so the rs seems to fit the bill but everyone seems to think they are a 'teenagers' bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 14 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexie wrote:
i don't really want to get a bigger bike and restrict it down and want the styling of a sports bike so the rs seems to fit the bill but everyone seems to think they are a 'teenagers' bike


At 26 I think you are too old. You would get some weird looks at bike meets.

What's so wrong about getting a restricted big bike, for a start it won't be a 2 stroke so maintenance etc will be cheaper.

An Aprilla is not a good bike to learn on, for a start a tight U-turn can be too hard.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Oz.
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 14 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride an Rs125 @ 26 although I am doing my DAS lessons at the moment. I love my RS although it can be a bitch at time having so little power down low plus I wouldnt feel comfortable on it if I did any motorway riding especially with crosswinds.

If you are wanting to use it till you pass your test then sure go for it but if your looking to use it after you pass I'd say go for something like the Ninja 250 if you are sticking to 33bhp.

Why not spend an extra couple of $$ and go for the DAS instead? It will prob cost you same as the extra $$ that restrictors would plus if you stick with the RS you could buy a full power bike for the equivalent price of a decent condition RS.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 14 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, if you're planning to do your restricted test at 26, I'd strongly advise against it.
It's pretty much the same test when doing 'DAS', some find it easier on a 500cc bike and you have the option of being restricted or not.

Pretty much every single person I've known who's done the restricted test when they could have done DAS has regretted it.
A waste of your time and money to not do DAS.

It seems you're more bothered about what people think of you than the practicalities of the bike, so might be best to base your choice on that.

Were it me, if going for a 125, I'd definitely go for a cheap, maybe a bit tatty one. See how you find it, maybe try riding a few other bikes in that time.
If you decide it's the bike for you, then consider getting a more expensive shiny one, or consider other bikes if you decide you want to move on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 14 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far too much power for me thanks.

I'm verging on 27, quite happy on my 10bhp 125. There's a national speed limit and everything, an RS125 does 90mph, that's way too fast.

Some people have been known to think of me as a little odd though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 14 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

While I do like small 2 strokes, if I were doing my test I would still do DAS rather than limit myself to a 125.

The RS is a good bike but does need half decent maintenance. I have had my RS now for 16 years Shocked .

For fun I would prefer the RS125 to something like a CB500, GPZ500, etc. But for long motorway journies the choice would be reversed.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mord
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 14 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 30yo and ride RS125 on A2 licence (33bhp) . I can't be arsed to go to 125cc owners meets so I don't feel too old Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
d or not.

Pretty much every single person I've known who's done the restricted test when they could have done DAS has regretted it.
A waste of your time and money to not do DAS.



I did the 125 route , just so I could practice on my own bike. The bike I rode daily for 2 months, the bike I spent my lunchtimes doing ever tighter U-turns on. It was cheaper also (I had 2 lessons thats all).

After a year at 33bhp, I sort of wanted more power. Even after the 2 years were up and I was on a 100bhp bike, it was still a while, before I could really use the power.

One thing I really liked at 33bhp , was how I had to work all the gears
and go for it, I could push hard and my lunchtime route I enjoyed so much. The top speed it would go was 92mph , which might get me 6 points, but not a ban.

I wouldn't want to go back now though, but now I am more experienced.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lexie
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in northern ireland and apparently direct access doesn't apply over here, although neither does cbt! so it's either restriction or small capacity engine Thumbs Down

to be honest i'll not be going to any bike meets so that's not going to be an issue and the maintainance side of things doesn't put me off the 2 strokes.

i like the styling and looks of sports bikes but i'm not looking for one that will do 150mph, not yet anyway lol. i like the yamaha r125 for it's looks and the fact that it's only slightly quicker than the cg125 i'm learning on doesn't really put me off, i really am that shallow Laughing , although i can see where people are coming from when they say buy a bigger bike and restrict it because after the 2 years it can be derestricted and it'll feel like a new bike so there's no need to change to a bigger one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved mine, it's what got me into bikes. Make sure you go for a full powered version with service history depending on the mileage..

Thumbs Up
____________________
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.3 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 82.67 Kb