|
|
| Author |
Message |
| MinhDinh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MinhDinh World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:33 - 09 Aug 2009 Post subject: I'm gonna go camping for the first time next friday :) |
 |
|
My boss has arranged for 12 of us to go to snowdonia, I believe it is in wales. We plan to hike or climb up Mt Snowdon I think it is called.
There's also white water rafting which will cost 40 quid. We may do mountain biking also for 20 quid hire or something.
Anyone been here before or able to give any advice? I've printed off a check list and now have a few bits and bobs. Been told that there will be loads of insects and I must wear lots of clothing. I bought 20 quid karimor walking shoes from sports world already.
I have a thermos, 2 laterns (1 windable :p), a kriega 35 bag and a fishing bag that turns into a chair Sleeping bag and tent sorted (17 quid sleeping bag and 3 quid pillow, 20 quid 4 man tent from asda lol). Not sure what else but maybe bringing my canon d400 to take some pics and binoculours for the stars. I also have 2 walky talkies (not sure if this will be needed). I might bring a psp and ipod for the night. Anything else you think I should leave out and add in please?
Also I am wondering if it is legal to fish and eat them in wales. Thanks
Oh and pics if you have any please :p tell me your experiences and what to avoid while camping etc... I'm well excited and look forward to lying down and looking at the stars Will put up pics when I get back on sunday night  ____________________ Hit the G spot.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:49 - 09 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
You will need a decent Mosquito spray. Get the jungle variety (hardcore stuff). Torch (essential for getting to and from the tent / loo in the dark - head torches are well handy). A lighter, wet wipes, tin/bottle opener, tissue packs, hat/sunglasses, sunblock for your nose, travel towel.
Edit: airbed, thin fleece travel blanket, earplugs, snacks, plasters. Oh and I always take gaffer tape (as it always comes in handy, if not for me, then for others).  ____________________ Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Faldo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Faldo World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:57 - 09 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
You missed out the most important piece of apparatus. BBQ. Just make sure you take some utensils as we forgot last time, and cooking burgers with tent pegs is not easy . I'm hopefully going camping next weekend too. ____________________ Current: ZZR1400
Previous: ZXR 400 L9, ZX-7R P5, ZZR 400, ZX-7R P6, Bandit 600, GSXR 750 Slingshot, DRZ400, DR650, ZX10R C1H, ZXR 750 L1, ZXR 750 L3, '99 ZX7R P4, KTM 300 EXC, ZX-9R E1, TDM850 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MinhDinh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MinhDinh World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:22 - 09 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Can you show me on line what spray you mean please? I'm leaving Friday morning so want to order it ASAP.
A few of them are fathers so should have wet wipes.
My boss said a sleeping bag is all we need and that only women need air beds lol. So I didn't get one :o
Oh yes we will have a BBQ I'll make sure they have the correct stuff to cook
Some reason I have an urge to bring allen keys and tools etc... lol. I won't ofcourse :p
Where are you perhaps going yellowninja? ____________________ Hit the G spot.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kwaks |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kwaks I'm not a fast rider

Joined: 28 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:05 - 09 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sod the Jungle Formula, if you have any sense you will get some Skin So Soft from your local Avon Rep. Let them know its for insects, green cap is the one you want as pink attracts them.
Jungle formula etc isnt quite as effective (most use Deet) and stinks to high heaven.
You want a couple of poly bags (for lining your boots if they leak) plenty of spare socks AND plasters etc in case of blisters.
You need a compass if you have any sense waterproof trousers and jacket, and wear layers of clothes rather than thick jumpers etc
Wet wipes, FFS they are only a quid, get your own.
If you cant get Avon at this short notice (i bet a family member or friend already has some) then head to your local fishing shop, Jungle formula is about £6 (bloody expensive compared to Avon stuff). For climbing on the day you want high energy bars, like Kendall Mint Cake. These are not for general consumption you greedy bastard, but incase you are lost or injured and need sugar/energy.
Oh yeah, get a bloody whistle and torch so the mountain rescue can find you. ____________________ Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ariel Badger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ariel Badger Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MaybeGuy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MaybeGuy Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Mar 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:53 - 09 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
i've done the cycling thing there. all i can say is that it was awesome.
theyre not your bikes... remember that. its much more fun that way. fuck the deposit.
we ended up going off 5 foot drop offs, found a quarry thing with jumps that was cool, and the offroad sections are ace. one of them has a hairpin corner right at the end, and if you misjudge it, or have mates egging you on from the bottom, you miss it and it becomes a kicker that results in bruised balls and scraped shins as its a 6 foot drop. ____________________ Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!!
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:02 - 09 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
- petrol
- lighter
- hand saw for cutting down small to medium sized trees, for cutting branches off big trees, and for cutting fire wood up
- alcohol
- food (optional)
- map (optional)
- gps with where you're parked saved as a way point (essential!)
- waterproof jacket
- waterproof tent
- more petrol, you can't ever have too much petrol, there are always more fires to start
hth  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MinhDinh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MinhDinh World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:38 - 09 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I know one person who bought some aftershave with avon so will ask him. No idea how it works mind.
I will buy wet wipes myself then lol.
I got a free compass, inbuilt whistle and light with my shoes. Kinda cheap thing but seems to work Thanks kwak
My boss is doing a meeting after work on what to get. Will bring up this stuff, especially extra socks etc which I'm sure people won't think about.
That's pretty damn cool ariel. However I'm shit scared of heights :o I don't fear any spiders, bugs, snakes etc but I am scared of heights and slugs. My only 2 fears :s
Yeah I'm gonna enjoy my bike ride matt. One of the lads did a bike ride from London to Brighton and wants to lead. I'm sure I'll die lol. Had a kona kikapu bike for 3 days new in January and some thieves broke my d lock and took it like that. Was gutted
I'm going from Friday morning to sunday night chris. Most of the boys think they are cool to not need a mat, I think I'm gonna buy one because all of you seem to agree it's a good thing to have.
I only have 2 rucksacks that I'm taking. Great idea on the bag inside them buddy.
I'll need to buy beanie hats and extra clothing and towels etc on wednesday.
I have a machete that I'm taking and a lock knife. What do I need them for you think?
I can't afford to spend on a GPS ste :p This is my first trip and I may not like it and it will be a waste of money. Yep I have rizla's and my favourite zippo ready
I'm thinking I should buy an axe also now.
Wow I'm really excited about this. I have a whole hallway with all the stuff
Thanks for the help guys Kinda knew BCF would be good for this kinda stuff :p ____________________ Hit the G spot.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:24 - 10 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
You should be able to get Skin So Soft from a decent outdoor shop, they tend to stock it now.
Have an eye on weight if you're going to have to carry all that gear... An axe for example and machete is probably over compensation, a wire saw at a push maybe but at least have a penknife.
Some of the posts above would have you sorted for a transcontinental expedition.
Only other thing, if you just bought boots, break them in a bit by wearing them around the house and out and about. If you just stick them on for your climb, they'll turn your feet into chopped liver.
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Original Muzza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Original Muzza World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jan 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:02 - 10 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Agree with the boot thing.
I've camped many a time, and have never needed a roll mat (let alone an airbed!), but maybe if you're camping for the first time ever a city-kid like yourself will need a comfortable sleeping area. BBQ is a must as said above, whereas a camping stove is less useful as you need to buy a pots and pans set (somewhere like millets sells good folding ones). I have seen people cook tinned beans and sausages in the tin, though this is not recommended as it will leave you with HIV or something .
Whenever I went to T in the Park I just stocked up on Nutri-Grain bars as these provide you with enough sustainance to climb a mountain or get pissed at a festival.
At the very least a bottle of southern comfort must be taken. I say southern comfort as it can be consumed straight and it warms ones cockles. If you're hardcore take some navy rum.
Also take a couple of pictures of Hellkat, as a good wank will settle you for sleep. ____________________ Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:57 - 10 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Do take a roll mat of some sort. You loose more heat through the ground than anywhere else. Even the foam rubber ones are very inexpensive and will make your camping experience a great deal more comfortable.
Zip lock bag for your tobacco, rizla, lighter and mobile phone. Roll a few to have in reserve in case you have soaking wet hands.
If you've forgotten anything, there are a HUGE number of camping equipment shops in the area around snowdon. More hillwalking shops than there are food shops in most towns.
EDIT: Practice putting your tent up before you go. On a rainy, windswept hillside just as it's getting dark is NOT the place to learn, or indeed find out there are bits missing, or that a zip doesn't work. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MinhDinh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MinhDinh World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:10 - 10 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Me and a collegue went out and because he bought a budget regatta 85 litre bag I had to too because It looked really nice. We also got a cheap £5.99 roll mat. He bought a 41 (yes 41) LED head light thing which looks so big and ugly lol.
Also we had the meeting and we need to pay £100 so far for the water rafting, pretrol costs and food.
They didn't discuss any nutri grains and stuff for some reason and I forgot. I can understand us getting dehydrated and tired or whatever without these foods. I guess they are pick me ups when we feel like dying climbing/walking.
We have 40KG of BBQ coal as of today lol.
I'll start wearing my shoes from today. The leader also mentioned we must or we will get blisters.
I have a kinda plastic zippo bag that I got with my alpinestars gloves. Kept a book and plan to put stuff that can't get wet in there. There is a slight hole for it to be hanged but it should be ok I think.
I'm also taking an old mat that was for my PS2 to play that dancing game. The controller bit is still stuck on it lol but It will help keep us clean if I place it just outside the tent entrance.
My boss bought the 4 man tents and has kept them. He made one of them in his garden so hopefully the rest are okay:)
Hellkat babes, post a sexy pic of you to get me by my dear?
I'm excited as fuk! People at work noticed me being very bubbly and bouncing around I didn't even think campin was cool, but it so is  ____________________ Hit the G spot.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| eddclarke |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 eddclarke Brolly Dolly

Joined: 10 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MinhDinh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MinhDinh World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| moneypit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 moneypit Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 07 Jul 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:15 - 11 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Bloody hell i'm moving out next week and i'm not taking that much with me
At least you're prepared  ____________________ 2008 Honda CBR 125R 'Style Over Substance'
Zipping 'round Manchester like a wasp in a jar. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellkat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellkat Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:39 - 11 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
 ____________________ Not nearly as interesting in real life. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mistergixer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mistergixer World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:55 - 12 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Is there another Mt Snowdon i don't know about - like one in the middle of the Amazon (guessing by all that junk you're planning on taking)?? ____________________ Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cagiva gezzer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cagiva gezzer World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Mar 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| S1KE |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 S1KE Brolly Dolly

Joined: 20 May 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:18 - 12 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
How many weeks are you going for? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|