Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


I'm gonna go camping for the first time next friday :)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: I'm gonna go camping for the first time next friday :) Reply with quote

My boss has arranged for 12 of us to go to snowdonia, I believe it is in wales. We plan to hike or climb up Mt Snowdon I think it is called.

There's also white water rafting which will cost 40 quid. Very Happy We may do mountain biking also for 20 quid hire or something.

Anyone been here before or able to give any advice? I've printed off a check list and now have a few bits and bobs. Been told that there will be loads of insects and I must wear lots of clothing. I bought 20 quid karimor walking shoes from sports world already.

I have a thermos, 2 laterns (1 windable :p), a kriega 35 bag and a fishing bag that turns into a chair Very Happy Sleeping bag and tent sorted (17 quid sleeping bag and 3 quid pillow, 20 quid 4 man tent from asda lol). Not sure what else but maybe bringing my canon d400 to take some pics and binoculours for the stars. I also have 2 walky talkies (not sure if this will be needed). I might bring a psp and ipod for the night. Anything else you think I should leave out and add in please?

Also I am wondering if it is legal to fish and eat them in wales. Thanks

Oh and pics if you have any please :p tell me your experiences and what to avoid while camping etc... I'm well excited and look forward to lying down and looking at the stars Smile Will put up pics when I get back on sunday night Smile
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a decent Mosquito spray. Get the jungle variety (hardcore stuff). Torch (essential for getting to and from the tent / loo in the dark - head torches are well handy). A lighter, wet wipes, tin/bottle opener, tissue packs, hat/sunglasses, sunblock for your nose, travel towel.

Edit: airbed, thin fleece travel blanket, earplugs, snacks, plasters. Oh and I always take gaffer tape (as it always comes in handy, if not for me, then for others). Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Faldo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed out the most important piece of apparatus. BBQ. Just make sure you take some utensils as we forgot last time, and cooking burgers with tent pegs is not easy Very Happy . I'm hopefully going camping next weekend too.
____________________
Current: ZZR1400
Previous: ZXR 400 L9, ZX-7R P5, ZZR 400, ZX-7R P6, Bandit 600, GSXR 750 Slingshot, DRZ400, DR650, ZX10R C1H, ZXR 750 L1, ZXR 750 L3, '99 ZX7R P4, KTM 300 EXC, ZX-9R E1, TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show me on line what spray you mean please? I'm leaving Friday morning so want to order it ASAP.

A few of them are fathers so should have wet wipes.

My boss said a sleeping bag is all we need and that only women need air beds lol. So I didn't get one :o

Oh yes we will have a BBQ Smile I'll make sure they have the correct stuff to cook Very Happy

Some reason I have an urge to bring allen keys and tools etc... lol. I won't ofcourse :p

Where are you perhaps going yellowninja?
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sod the Jungle Formula, if you have any sense you will get some Skin So Soft from your local Avon Rep. Let them know its for insects, green cap is the one you want as pink attracts them.

Jungle formula etc isnt quite as effective (most use Deet) and stinks to high heaven.


You want a couple of poly bags (for lining your boots if they leak) plenty of spare socks AND plasters etc in case of blisters.

You need a compass if you have any sense Wink waterproof trousers and jacket, and wear layers of clothes rather than thick jumpers etc

Wet wipes, FFS they are only a quid, get your own.

If you cant get Avon at this short notice (i bet a family member or friend already has some) then head to your local fishing shop, Jungle formula is about £6 (bloody expensive compared to Avon stuff). For climbing on the day you want high energy bars, like Kendall Mint Cake. These are not for general consumption you greedy bastard, but incase you are lost or injured and need sugar/energy.

Oh yeah, get a bloody whistle and torch so the mountain rescue can find you.
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask if you can do the Crib Goch Traverse on Snowdon.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've done the cycling thing there. all i can say is that it was awesome.

theyre not your bikes... remember that. its much more fun that way. fuck the deposit.

we ended up going off 5 foot drop offs, found a quarry thing with jumps that was cool, and the offroad sections are ace. one of them has a hairpin corner right at the end, and if you misjudge it, or have mates egging you on from the bottom, you miss it and it becomes a kicker that results in bruised balls and scraped shins as its a 6 foot drop.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

- petrol
- lighter
- hand saw for cutting down small to medium sized trees, for cutting branches off big trees, and for cutting fire wood up
- alcohol
- food (optional)
- map (optional)
- gps with where you're parked saved as a way point (essential!)
- waterproof jacket
- waterproof tent
- more petrol, you can't ever have too much petrol, there are always more fires to start

hth Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one person who bought some aftershave with avon so will ask him. No idea how it works mind.

I will buy wet wipes myself then lol.

I got a free compass, inbuilt whistle and light with my shoes. Kinda cheap thing but seems to work Smile Thanks kwak

My boss is doing a meeting after work on what to get. Will bring up this stuff, especially extra socks etc which I'm sure people won't think about.

That's pretty damn cool ariel. However I'm shit scared of heights :o I don't fear any spiders, bugs, snakes etc but I am scared of heights and slugs. My only 2 fears :s

Yeah I'm gonna enjoy my bike ride matt. One of the lads did a bike ride from London to Brighton and wants to lead. I'm sure I'll die lol. Had a kona kikapu bike for 3 days new in January and some thieves broke my d lock and took it like that. Was gutted Sad

I'm going from Friday morning to sunday night chris. Most of the boys think they are cool to not need a mat, I think I'm gonna buy one because all of you seem to agree it's a good thing to have.

I only have 2 rucksacks that I'm taking. Great idea on the bag inside them buddy.
I'll need to buy beanie hats and extra clothing and towels etc on wednesday.
I have a machete that I'm taking and a lock knife. What do I need them for you think?

I can't afford to spend on a GPS ste :p This is my first trip and I may not like it and it will be a waste of money. Yep I have rizla's and my favourite zippo ready Smile

I'm thinking I should buy an axe also now.

Wow I'm really excited about this. I have a whole hallway with all the stuff Very Happy

Thanks for the help guys Smile Kinda knew BCF would be good for this kinda stuff :p
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 10 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get Skin So Soft from a decent outdoor shop, they tend to stock it now.

Have an eye on weight if you're going to have to carry all that gear... An axe for example and machete is probably over compensation, a wire saw at a push maybe but at least have a penknife.

Some of the posts above would have you sorted for a transcontinental expedition. Laughing

Only other thing, if you just bought boots, break them in a bit by wearing them around the house and out and about. If you just stick them on for your climb, they'll turn your feet into chopped liver.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 10 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the boot thing.
I've camped many a time, and have never needed a roll mat (let alone an airbed!), but maybe if you're camping for the first time ever a city-kid like yourself will need a comfortable sleeping area. BBQ is a must as said above, whereas a camping stove is less useful as you need to buy a pots and pans set (somewhere like millets sells good folding ones). I have seen people cook tinned beans and sausages in the tin, though this is not recommended as it will leave you with HIV or something Wink .
Whenever I went to T in the Park I just stocked up on Nutri-Grain bars as these provide you with enough sustainance to climb a mountain or get pissed at a festival.
At the very least a bottle of southern comfort must be taken. I say southern comfort as it can be consumed straight and it warms ones cockles. If you're hardcore take some navy rum.

Also take a couple of pictures of Hellkat, as a good wank will settle you for sleep.
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 10 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do take a roll mat of some sort. You loose more heat through the ground than anywhere else. Even the foam rubber ones are very inexpensive and will make your camping experience a great deal more comfortable.

Zip lock bag for your tobacco, rizla, lighter and mobile phone. Roll a few to have in reserve in case you have soaking wet hands. Thumbs Up

If you've forgotten anything, there are a HUGE number of camping equipment shops in the area around snowdon. More hillwalking shops than there are food shops in most towns.

EDIT: Practice putting your tent up before you go. On a rainy, windswept hillside just as it's getting dark is NOT the place to learn, or indeed find out there are bits missing, or that a zip doesn't work.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 10 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and a collegue went out and because he bought a budget regatta 85 litre bag I had to too because It looked really nice. We also got a cheap £5.99 roll mat. He bought a 41 (yes 41) LED head light thing which looks so big and ugly lol.

Also we had the meeting and we need to pay £100 so far for the water rafting, pretrol costs and food.

They didn't discuss any nutri grains and stuff for some reason and I forgot. I can understand us getting dehydrated and tired or whatever without these foods. I guess they are pick me ups when we feel like dying climbing/walking.

We have 40KG of BBQ coal as of today lol.

I'll start wearing my shoes from today. The leader also mentioned we must or we will get blisters.

I have a kinda plastic zippo bag that I got with my alpinestars gloves. Kept a book and plan to put stuff that can't get wet in there. There is a slight hole for it to be hanged but it should be ok I think.

I'm also taking an old mat that was for my PS2 to play that dancing game. The controller bit is still stuck on it lol but It will help keep us clean if I place it just outside the tent entrance.

My boss bought the 4 man tents and has kept them. He made one of them in his garden so hopefully the rest are okay:)

Hellkat babes, post a sexy pic of you to get me by my dear? Laughing

I'm excited as fuk! People at work noticed me being very bubbly and bouncing around Very Happy I didn't even think campin was cool, but it so is Very Happy
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

eddclarke
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 10 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

40KG of charcoal!!!!! thats insane!
____________________
Honda XR125L 06 ----> Yamaha FZ6 05 + ex SAS XR250 --> VFR800 + XR250r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 11 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah kinda overkill on it methinks lol. Oh well I'm not the leader.

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/574.jpg

I'm taking my PS2 dancing mat as a cover for the tent entrance Very Happy not in use anymore.

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/575.jpg

Here are a few knives and machetes for cutting whatever is needed. Hammer aswell Smile

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/576.jpg

Some bags for whatever.

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/577.jpg

I bought 2 laterns that should keep my tent really bright. Windable and rechargable one along with a free maglite that I got from the MCN show for spending 165 quid on my tyres :p The headlight is also a 5 quid one from the MCN show.

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/578.jpg

Not sure why I took the pics together but no I don't plan to drink either lotion lol. cooler bottle and a thermos.

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/579.jpg

Taking my Canon 400D. I have only taken it out once when I first bought it. Kinda feel like I wasted money not using it but this should hopefully get real use Smile I'm such a novice and hopefully can get 1 or 2 good pics for you all Smile espcially since there seems to be a few great photographers on here.

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/580.jpg

Bringing my ipod and speakers for the night. Got a tv mobile phone if I'm bored at night. Walky talky if any of us decide to go seperate routes. PSP is I'm bored at night. Spare mobile if there aren't any sockets lol.

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/583.jpg

Bag for fishing that is also a chair Very Happy Also the bag I bought today, 85 litre regatta but a budget one for them. With 5.99 mat because of your advice guys :p First aid bag for motorcycles with additions like TCP plaster spray Smile

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/584.jpg

Bought jungle juice cuz that avon stuff wasn't in the chemist. Deep heat if I'm sore. Insect pain spray thing if I'm bitten. Tooth brush for brushing my teeth.

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/585.jpg

Bits and bob. Kinda a womenly pic to me
https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/587.jpg My fav zippo, infact my only one because I gave my collection away to odd people here and there. The battery ran out for the clock :s

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/589.jpg

Mini tools Smile I always see these and buy them. I love small things like these and can never resist :p

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/590.jpg

Paper incase I need to write something, imagined getting my foot stuck in a rock alone on the cliff top :o

https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/UnseenPower/591.jpg

Found some B day candles and thought why not, pretty much taking everything else with me lol.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

moneypit
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 11 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell i'm moving out next week and i'm not taking that much with me Shocked

At least you're prepared Thumbs Up
____________________
2008 Honda CBR 125R 'Style Over Substance'
Zipping 'round Manchester like a wasp in a jar.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 11 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 11 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmfao @ 40kg of charcoal, which poor sucker is going to carry that? much easier to just cut things down to burn for cooking over

small folding spade (army type one, from ebay or army surplus store) is useful for digging a fire pit and for when you need to crap somewhere but you're feeling too civilized to crap down a rabbit hole. on a similar note, toilet paper is useful

leave the psp at home, if you take it with you it wont get used but could get broken. if you do take it with you and it does get used then you're doing something wrong.

a basic understanding of welsh is helpful, baaaaaaa means rape.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:24 - 12 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinhDinh wrote:
The leader also mentioned we must get blisters.


Fabulous...I love it when peeps get their English muddled up!!!!

As for the kit you are taking, I hope you have have a pack horse to carry it all? I don't know if anyone told you, but tents rarely have electric plug sockets (unless you go to a Eurocamp). Laughing
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 12 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

fucking hell ! got enough knives ?

the locals arent that hostile these days, although a policeman might be if he found you carrying all those knives
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 12 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there another Mt Snowdon i don't know about - like one in the middle of the Amazon (guessing by all that junk you're planning on taking)??
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:59 - 12 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only north wales.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

S1KE
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 20 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 12 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

fucking LMAO @ the birthday candles !

I bet you dont use half that stuff !

mike
____________________
random twat!
* xbox live mickeyc26
* zx6r b1h 2004 GREEN !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 12 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing How many weeks are you going for?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.78 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.48 Kb